Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH order

• 15-07-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Ordered FTTH late April, first install date 15th May and no light at the DP, 2ND install date this week and still no light at the DP, 2 days taken off work and still not connected.

Others having similar issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

irelandjoe wrote: »
    Ordered FTTH late April, first install date 15th May and no light at the DP,  2ND install date this week and still no light at the DP, 2 days taken off work and still not connected.

Others having similar issues?
    Hi irelandjoe ,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Now on my 4th install, 4th day I had to take off work and the 4th time the install failed for the exact same reason no light at the DP.  to say I am frustrated is an understatement.

Now being told forecast is 1st Sept which is a Saturday, and we all know installs do not happen on a Saturday. Are we just plucking dates out of the air?

Comreg are very interested in why I have had so many re-forecast dates since May.

I also have emails from openEir saying the forecast was originally Sept 2017....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Now on my 4th install, 4th day I had to take off work and the 4th time the install failed for the exact same reason no light at the DP.  to say I am frustrated is an understatement.

Now being told forecast is 1st Sept which is a Saturday, and we all know installs do not happen on a Saturday. Are we just plucking dates out of the air?

Comreg are very interested in why I have had so many re-forecast dates since May.

I also have emails from openEir saying the forecast was originally Sept 2017....

Are you in the Nenagh exchange area by any chance?

Are you in the Nenagh exchange area by any chance?
    I am. You have a magic wand I can wave to make this issue go away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I was on the broadband forum earlier complaining about the exact same problem in Nenagh. I also ordered in May and they just keep giving me new dates for the DP to go live. 

• Advertisement

I am. You have a magic wand I can wave to make this issue go away?

No I'm afraid I have no magic wand. I see you've posted in the Broadband forum. I was going to tell you about the other poster in Nenagh that has had similar issues.

tuxy wrote: »
    I was on the broadband forum earlier complaining about the exact same problem in Nenagh. I also ordered in May and they just keep giving me new dates for the DP to go live. 

It's a complete joke. Openeir telling EIR it's sorted, KN calling out to find that no light at the DP. What a waste of time and resources. I've kept up my end of bargain and prepped the site / ducts etc for install and yet it's taken 4 times for no progress. Am only 4km from exchange but difficult to check DPs that are having issues or have open orders against them. Very frustrated. Not that comreg can do anything but have them engaged now and sent a note to coordinator for broadband for Tipperary CoCo. They need to be aware this rollout is a complete joke.

I'll probably give Eir a call tomorrow and get yet another live date, last one was for the 6th 
    At least they have stopped sending KN installers out to me after the 3rd failed install.

That is scandalous behaviour. Four and three failed installations respectively. Absolutely shocking to treat potential customers this way. I hope eir would see fit to give a gesture of goodwill to both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi irelandjoe, 

I'm very sorry to hear about the long delays you are experiencing in getting your service up and running, I understand this is frustrating. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I can have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

Hi irelandjoe, 

I'm very sorry to hear about the long delays you are experiencing in getting your service up and running, I understand this is frustrating. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I can have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Thanks but I have now escalated to ComReg and will let them deal with it.

Thanks but I have now escalated to ComReg and will let them deal with it.

Finally installed but not without drama

I'm also sorted too. No drama for me, the FN engineer was really sound and installed in a place that the other engineers said would be impossible.
    What happened in your case?

I'm also sorted too. No drama for me, the FN engineer was really sound and installed in a place that the other engineers said would be impossible.
    Sorry took a while to get back was away.
    So Single KN Engineer arrived down, I had told them every time that this was not a single Engineer job but still they sent 1 engineer,  there is a long duct that would need to be pulled.
    The engineer turned up at 8:15 which was great then left 30 mins later to get parts and then came back, on his own and asked me to pull the cable while he fed it into the duct.....  This was a long 120m Duct with no breaks I had put the pull cable in myself a few weeks before.  He hadn't even brought his own tape to tape the fibre to the pull cable even,  So about 45m - 1 hours of ME pulling the cable I had to join a work call (which he wasn't pleased about) !!!  He leaft and I guess grabbed lunch.  I then continued to pull the cable while he fed it into the duct and about 20 m from the end the connection he made between the fibre and the builders line he had attached came undone :(   He left in a huff and I told him I would try and get a digger in to get the cable the last mile.
    I managed to get a digger and in less than 1 hour I had found the duct and broke into it.  I had called him a few times and could't get hold of him so called OpenEir to make sure they knew we could proceed,  He called me back then and told me he could only come back to me at later in the afternoon.  Asked him if he knew what time and he said "jaysus don't be putting me under pressure"!!!  Are you kidding me!  Anyway he called me back after 30 mins and was down with me at about 3pm.  From my newly dug hole I pulled the remaining cable through the ~ 110m duct with enough to get to the DP which was 2 Poles away.  I was told they used 210m of cable every meter of that I pulled, once we had enough length he used a rod to get back from the road to the hole and at this point 2 more KN guys showed up!
    At this point 1 of them completed the overhead work to the DP and the other 2 then worked on getting it from the Duct at the front of the house about 40 meters into the house with another duct which was straightforward.  I had prepared the work to take it from the manhole at the side of the house into the house.
    So after 4 failed attempts and the 5th nearly going south I got connected but if I was not at home at the time ut just wouldn't have happened.
    I am seriously thinking of going to Joe Duffy with this entire experience.
    Just shocking

What an ordeal! They refuse to send out two men for installs that require two men, Mine was an overhead install and I had to do a few things to help out but nothing compared to what you had to go through! 

Was shocking, I have given Eir all this detail just wondering if anything will happen.  It should not be happening. 
    Actually hurt my hand while pulling the cable too,  I should never have been put into a situation where I had to pull cables to that extent. But felt that if I did not I would have had a 5th failed installation.
    Any comment from @eir on this forum?

The thing is now that Open Eir is a different division from Eir and Open Eir subcontracts the work to KN who I think use independent contractors for field technicians. 

On another thread we are waiting over a month to get a few simple answers direct from Eir about the download fair use policy. It does not look like they will be getting back to us anytime soon as the questions had to be passed to a different department in their own company.

Your complaint deals with multiple companies and contractors. Expect Eir to give the usual line of they are looking into it.

It's sad, Eir(com) has always had woeful customer support but at least on here there used to be a change of getting answers and problems solved but not anymore. Something has changed and it seems like the Rep on here no longer have the resources or authority to deal with all but the most basic requests. 

Was shocking, I have given Eir all this detail just wondering if anything will happen.  It should not be happening. 
    Actually hurt my hand while pulling the cable too,  I should never have been put into a situation where I had to pull cables to that extent. But felt that if I did not I would have had a 5th failed installation.

I'd be wary of kicking up too much of a fuss. From what you have described it seems that you probably should not have been connected, at least without you paying extra. You are what is deemed a "Non Standard Connection".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Sorry took a while to get back was away.
    So Single KN Engineer arrived down, I had told them every time that this was not a single Engineer job but still they sent 1 engineer,  there is a long duct that would need to be pulled.
    The engineer turned up at 8:15 which was great then left 30 mins later to get parts and then came back, on his own and asked me to pull the cable while he fed it into the duct.....  This was a long 120m Duct with no breaks I had put the pull cable in myself a few weeks before.  He hadn't even brought his own tape to tape the fibre to the pull cable even,  So about 45m - 1 hours of ME pulling the cable I had to join a work call (which he wasn't pleased about) !!!  He leaft and I guess grabbed lunch.  I then continued to pull the cable while he fed it into the duct and about 20 m from the end the connection he made between the fibre and the builders line he had attached came undone :(   He left in a huff and I told him I would try and get a digger in to get the cable the last mile.
    I managed to get a digger and in less than 1 hour I had found the duct and broke into it.  I had called him a few times and could't get hold of him so called OpenEir to make sure they knew we could proceed,  He called me back then and told me he could only come back to me at later in the afternoon.  Asked him if he knew what time and he said "jaysus don't be putting me under pressure"!!!  Are you kidding me!  Anyway he called me back after 30 mins and was down with me at about 3pm.  From my newly dug hole I pulled the remaining cable through the ~ 110m duct with enough to get to the DP which was 2 Poles away.  I was told they used 210m of cable every meter of that I pulled, once we had enough length he used a rod to get back from the road to the hole and at this point 2 more KN guys showed up!
    At this point 1 of them completed the overhead work to the DP and the other 2 then worked on getting it from the Duct at the front of the house about 40 meters into the house with another duct which was straightforward.  I had prepared the work to take it from the manhole at the side of the house into the house.
    So after 4 failed attempts and the 5th nearly going south I got connected but if I was not at home at the time ut just wouldn't have happened.
    I am seriously thinking of going to Joe Duffy with this entire experience.
    Just shocking
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Hi irelandjoe, [/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you had with the installation of your service, this is not the level of service we wish to provide to our customers. I'll be sure to pass this feedback on for you. [/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]If you wish to take this further you can log a formal complaint, all details can be found here[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I have sent you a PM there now also.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Apologies for all inconvenience caused, I understand this is frustrating. [/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Tracey[/font]

I'd be wary of kicking up too much of a fuss. From what you have described it seems that you probably should not have been connected, at least without you paying extra. You are what is deemed a "Non Standard Connection".
    I would have paid extra, the fact that it took 5 attempted installs and then the joke of an install which I ended up doing most of the work is what drives me nuts.  Anyway, I can't complain too much now that I am connected but I ant see how this model is going to work long term.  So much waste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jothryan

Hi, just moved to nenagh town eir and Vodafone say ftth not available what part of the town are you inside did you get them to agree install? Any info would be great as I dying to get my hands on ftth.

No fibre to the home inside the town yet. It's the rural side of things that is being developed right now.
    You can zoom in on this map https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ all houses that are green can now get FTTH and blue are ones that are planned. All other houses outside the town will be covered by the national broadband plan but if you have been following that in the news you will know the whole thing has been a complete mess so far. 

The large green covering the town is all the houses that can get vdsl form a local cabinet, up to 100 mbit but 30 - 60 mbit is more realistic. It depends on you distance for the closest cabinet. 

Advertisement