Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Purchased Sony Tv _ No Irish Channels

• 15-07-2018 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought what I thought was a good deal with a Sony smart tv from Amazon, having tuned all channels available are UK FREEPLAY, the Irish channels are tuned but a scrambled message comes up and can’t be viewed. Am I shafted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

sightband wrote: »
    Hi,

Bought what I thought was a good deal with a Sony smart tv from Amazon, having tuned all channels available are UK FREEPLAY, the Irish channels are tuned but a scrambled message comes up and can’t be viewed. Am I shafted?

Thanks.

Not shafted you got what u paid for you get the uk freeview channels. If you want the irish channels u need saorview. If u buy a tv from the uk it wont have irish channels on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

So there’s no way to unscramble them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sony telly has a built in MPEG 2 tuner, Ireland uses MPEG 4 for soarview, you'll have to buy a soarview receiver for it by the sounds of it.

Which model is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Irish channels are not on satellite except the Sky platform.

So unless you have a sky package you will need an aerial and switch between inputs.

Same with TVs bought here.

Sony Bravia KD49XE8077 49-Inch 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart Android TV with Google Assistant, Youview and Freeview HD - Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07572Q1FF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Dy1sBbGR0T12R

Tvs great, it’s just very English at the moment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

If it's Freeview HD it supports Irish Saorview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

sugarman wrote: »
    Whats the model? Most likely you just need to set the region to Ireland in the settings and do a rescan. Most manufacturers these days use MPEG4 tuners as theyre backward compatable with MPEG2, id be very surprised if a Sony branded TV went solely with MPEG2.

Did wonder myself in 2018.

OP, Curious about the message, select Ireland as your country and then scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If it has a satellite tuner you probably are tuned in to the Sky encrypted versions of RTE TV3 etc

You need to connect to an aerial for Saorview. That's the push on coax socket on the TV. The satellite connector is threaded.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If it has a satellite tuner you probably are tuned in to the Sky encrypted versions of RTE TV3 etc

You need to connect to an aerial for Saorview. That's the push on coax socket on the TV. The satellite connector is threaded.

We’ve a dish and aerial and have tried both, threaded connector and the one that slots in. Rescanned both times and no joy, all freeview.
    Did wonder myself in 2018.

OP, Curious about the message, select Ireland as your country and then scan.

That’s the odd thing, at no point on this set up are you asked about regional settings and there is no option in the settings as you’d normally see with any new product. Only option is language.

Is a saorview box the only option?

Just to get the terms correct...
    Freeview is UK terrestrial (also in NI)
    Saorview is ROI terrestrial
    Freesat is UK satellite
    FTA satellite is similar to Freesat

Presume what's tuned in is FTA satellite via a dish.
    You don't need another box, it's just a matter of finding the correct settings in the TV menu. Look for something like "terrestrial scan" or "DVB T/T2 scan"

Were you getting Saorview on a previous TV? You will only get Freeview close to NI (and some favoured east coast locations).

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Just to get the terms correct...
    Freeview is UK terrestrial (also in NI)
    Saorview is ROI terrestrial
    Freesat is UK satellite
    FTA satellite is similar to Freesat

Presume what's tuned in is FTA satellite via a dish.
    You don't need another box, it's just a matter of finding the correct settings in the TV menu. Look for something like "terrestrial scan" or "DVB T/T2 scan"

Were you getting Saorview on a previous TV? You will only get Freeview close to NI (and some favoured east coast locations).

Had a 15 year old Sony lcd tv with a sky connection. We got rid of sky and just bought this. No Saorview box til now as we had it all through sky subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

sugarman wrote:
    You're asked at initial setup, I couldn't tell you where to change it without being infront of the TV. Have a read through the manual, I'm sure there's a guide.

Did you reset the TV to factory settings? If not, it won't give you the UK/Ireland option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Had a 15 year old Sony lcd tv with a sky connection. We got rid of sky and just bought this. No Saorview box til now as we had it all through sky subscription.

Do you have a Saorview aerial? You need one

Check here to see which transmitter and aerial type suits your location
    https://www.freetv.ie/digital-tv-aerial-selection-guide/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

sightband wrote:
    Sony Bravia KD49XE8077 49-Inch 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart Android TV with Google Assistant, Youview and Freeview HD - Silver

sightband wrote:
    So there’s no way to unscramble them?

You will be able to get Saorview on that set, if you have done a sat scan, RTÉ will be scrambled. You do have it connected to an aerial ? , then do a terrestrial scan on aerial (not cable). The spec says the set is DVB T2 and S2, so it should be OK for Saorview and fta sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

We’ve a dish and aerial and have tried both, threaded connector and the one that slots in. Rescanned both times and no joy

If you're sure you're connecting to an actual aerial, & not just to a cable that might have been intended for distributing the Sky box output to other TVs, maybe post a pic. of the aerial: it will give some idea if it's the right type or maybe has an amplifier that could be missing its power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hi All,

Bumping this thread as its a very similar topic,

I just bought this from Amazon

Sony BRAVIA KD49XG81 49-inch LED 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart Android TV with voice remote - Black (2019 model) [Energy Class A]
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BRAVIA-KD49XG81-49-inch-Android/dp/B07P7R73FP/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=xg81+sony&qid=1589285738&sr=8-2

Seemed like a relatively good price at £500 (given that the 2020 model is around £800 but with almost the exact same specs.

My question is, without buying any extra hardware, can I expect to get any channels (Irish or UK) on this through the built in YouView. I'm located in Dublin if that helps possibly getting a signal from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

1huge1 wrote: »
    My question is, without buying any extra hardware, can I expect to get any channels (Irish or UK) on this through the built in YouView. I'm located in Dublin if that helps possibly getting a signal from the UK.

Aerial required for the Irish channels and if the TV has a screw on satellite connection at the rear beside the aerial connector then a satellite dish will be required for th UK channels.

Thank you, I only ask as my I am able to watch Irish channel on my current television (32 inch Telefunken) which I ordered from amazon a few years ago, all I do is search for stations through settings. There is nothing external connected to the tv other than the power.

I am able to watch, RTE 1, 2, Virgin Media 1, RTE +1 & News Now etc.

Perhaps it is some sort of internal tuner? Apogologies for my ignorance on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

1huge1 wrote: »
    Perhaps it is some sort of internal tuner? Apogologies for my ignorance on the topic.

All TVs have an internal terrestrial (Saorview) tuner which is normally connected to an external aerial. If the TV is picking up the signal without an aerial attached you must be in an extremely strong signal area.

Some TVs may also have a separate satellite tuner which must be connected to a satellite dish for reception of the UK channels.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    All TVs have an internal terrestrial (Saorview) tuner which is normally connected to an external aerial. If the TV is picking up the signal without an aerial attached you must be in an extremely strong signal area.

Some TVs may also have a separate satellite tuner which must be connected to a satellite dish for reception of the UK channels.

That makes sense, I must be in a very strong signal area, that was wrecking my brain for ages, thank you for explaining this as every FAQ I have read so far said that I needed an external aerial.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Similar topic or not, we don’t drag up old threads, because of people’s tendency to reply to old posts out of context

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement