Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas fridge on the blink

• 15-07-2018 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, I got a second hand gas fridge recently - my dad had it in his garage at first and it worked fine. I took it to my boat straight after and lit it; while the flame seemed to be burning the fridge wasn't getting cold.

I turned it off for a day to let the coolant settle then lit it again; it seemed to be working then.

However, I then manoeuvred it round a bit to fit a copper pipe to the vent on the top connected to the boat's vent, and while the flame was still burning the fridge seemed to stop cooling. I don't know whether this was because of me moving the fridge round or whether it was something to do with the copper fitting on the vent.

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

Is it level?
    Does it have ventilation? Clicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

Is it level?
    Does it have ventilation? Clicky.

Thanks a million! Will have a decent look at this later today and see what I can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

They are extremely inefficient are you sure you gave it enough time to test.

Old absorption fridges can suffer from stratification turning it over a couple of times and allowing to settle afterward can resolve that.

If they have been operated off level or otherwise overheated they can get blocked with sodium chromate crystals apparently whcih is irreversible but I would try inverting a few times before jumping to that conclusion.

They are extremely inefficient are you sure you gave it enough time to test.

Old absorption fridges can suffer from stratification turning it over a couple of times and allowing to settle afterward can resolve that.

If they have been operated off level or otherwise overheated they can get blocked with sodium chromate crystals apparently whcih is irreversible but I would try inverting a few times before jumping to that conclusion.

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I've given it enough time. Trying it now with the vent left exposed (as per Sir Liamalot's link) instesd of piped awkwardly to the boat vent - seems to be working again. Just need to work on the boat vent I think more than the fridge.

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I've given it enough time. Trying it now with the vent left exposed (as per Sir Liamalot's link) instesd of piped awkwardly to the boat vent - seems to be working again. Just need to work on the boat vent I think more than the fridge.

They will happily melt pvc without sufficient ventilation, you should install a couple of 12v fans to aid convection.

• Advertisement

I'd a friend asked me to fix his fridge. It only worked at night.
    I diagnosed bad ventilation and threatened his van heater.

He decided he'd rather it be a poor fridge and a passive space heater than a good fridge.

It needs an intake and a vent.
    One low, one high.

Thanks for the advice, all! Getting my head round it now

I suppose we should have asked what kind of boat and where is it installed, if its below deck it could be dangerous you would want to have it as close to sealed from the cabin as practical and invest in a quality CO alarm. I it was me and I was planning on sleeping below deck I would invest in a compressor fridge.

Second that. Even competing with the pilot light for oxygen is not a great idea.

Advertisement