Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Marketplace Issue

Options
  • 15-07-2018 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a drone in September 2016 and now the controller is faulty so last week I made contact with the Amazon Marketplace seller.
    They said they are not responsible and advised to contact manufacturer.
    I'm aware of the 2 year minimum warranty within EU and as this company is based in UK the law there provides longer warranty.

Anyway I contacted Amazon to ask them to sort out as their seller was going against consumer law. Amazon didn't really care and said it was nothing to do with them.

Hesitantly I just went and phoned the manufacturer where to my shock they said they couldn't cover costs of repair under warranty as the item originates from USA. They sent me an email with original purchaser and date and told me the item would follow USA warranty rules and was effectively a used item when the seller on Amazon UK sold it to me.

I went and checked the sale from 2016 and the item was classed as "new". In Amazon rules, sellers can sell as new if the item was still in original packaging and never opened.
    Then I realised, how the hell did I have a UK plug for charging device if it came from USA.
    I looked at the charger and the plug is clearly a Chinese knock off item with no DJI marks to be seen. Therefore the seller opened the item and replaced the plugs before shipping to me.

So now it's gone beyond a simple warranty repair to being miss sold an item.

I made Amazon aware of this and again they don't care and said they have no way of getting involved as it was third party seller even though my credit card statement says Amazon Marketplace for transaction.
    They offered me 50 pound to but DJI charger to replace the Chinese knock off but that's it.

What do I do now?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In this case Amazon is essentially just PayPal, you purchased from the seller as that is who actually sold it. Not amazon.

Amazed you were offered anything by amazon at all, you need to take this issue up with the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Cabaal wrote: »
    In this case Amazon is essentially just PayPal, you purchased from the seller as that is who actually sold it. Not amazon.

Amazed you were offered anything by amazon at all, you need to take this issue up with the seller

Are you sure of that?
    If it is advertised on Amazon and Amazon take payment then they are acting more like a seller than PayPal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

rock22 wrote: »
    Are you sure of that?
    If it is advertised on Amazon and Amazon take payment then they are acting more like a seller than PayPal.

If it is bought from a seller, Amazon is just the site used to advertise the goods, if you buy from Amazon then Amazon is the seller. It would appear from the op that the item was not bought from Amazon but rather from a seller advertising on Amazon, there is a difference. Cabaal was just using an analogy, maybe trivago might be better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rock22 wrote: »
    Are you sure of that?

Yes, very sure of that
    Amazon is not the seller, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Amazon should provide a resolution centre similar to eBay as I’m getting no help from seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

boardzz wrote: »
    I'm aware of the 2 year minimum warranty within EU

No such thing exists nor ever existed in EU law.

If the product was fine at the time you received it, it really ends the statutory protection. You can argue that if the product breaks after only 20 months, it was incorrectly designed and as such faulty from the very beginning - but it is really difficult...
    and as this company is based in UK the law there provides longer warranty.

Another misconception - if you bought it from Ireland, the transaction is governed by Irish law. But there is absolutely no way to enforce it on Chinese company...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is whats called the grey market. Why did you buy from that seller? Probably because it was 20% cheaper yeah? This is why.

DJI drones are like iPhones, price is pretty much fixed. If you're getting it cheaper you need to be careful. Fact that you didnt spot the charger first thing and return it doesn't speak to your alertness as a consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

The charger that goes from the brick to drone is correct part. The plug to the brick is replaced part. Not something anybody would notice unless they were told there should be a US plug with the item.

Also I certainly wouldn’t called Amazon Marketplace the grey market. They are legitimate companies using Amazon as a platform to sell to customers. I have purchased many items in past like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Also I certainly wouldn’t called Amazon Marketplace the grey market. They are legitimate companies using Amazon as a platform to sell to customers. I have purchased many items in past like this.

And yet we are here...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The whole marketplace isnt, but sale of out of region goods is a grey market. Just like the likes of eGlobal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement