Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes self service and a big bag of copper coins

Options
  • 15-07-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a bag of copper coins that I'm guessing comes to about €30.

I'm on my way to Dunnes for some snacks. If I put in all those copper coins to the self service checkout will it just return those coins to me in the change or will it change it more manageable cash like notes and euro coins?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

It'll stop taking money off you when you pay for whatever you buy, so yes, it will just spit the rest back if you manage to put excess in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You can only put in the required amount of money,. Ie bill is 29.90,
    you can put in 50in coins and get, as soon you put in 29.90 or more the machine will not accept anymore coins and finish the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It'll stop taking money off you when you pay for whatever you buy, so yes, it will just spit the rest back if you manage to put excess in.
    Lenny wrote: »
    You can only put in the required amount of money,. Ie bill is 29.90,
    you can put in 50in coins and get, as soon you put in 29.90 or more the machine will not accept anymore coins and finish the sale

Of course.

I was thinking the checkouts waited until you press Finish after putting in the coins but it is actually "Finish & Pay" :p

Thanks to you both

EDIT: Can a checkout operator refuse to accept the coins? I wouldn't do it to the girls in Dunnes but I'm just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Checkout operators can and probably will refuse if you're trying to hand in massive amounts. You basically need to get rid of them over multiple transactions or bank them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Can a checkout operator refuse to accept the coins? I wouldn't do it to the girls in Dunnes but I'm just wondering

The is a legal limit to the amount of coin a retailer is required to accept, i think it is 50 coins or so.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Checkout operators can and probably will refuse if you're trying to hand in massive amounts. You basically need to get rid of them over multiple transactions or bank them

Yes, but I never around to bringing them to the bank.

I was hoping to have more manageable denominations for something early tomorrow but no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can use a maximum of 50 coins to settle any transaction. If you exceed that limit, retailers do not have to accept payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The is a legal limit to the amount of coin a retailer is required to accept, i think it is 20 coins or so.

50 coins is the max
    Yes, but I never around to bringing them to the bank.

I was hoping to have more manageable denominations for something early tomorrow but no harm.

If you have them bagged try the customer service desk, they will give you notes. If not bagged then you have no luck.

dudara wrote: »
    You can use a maximum of 50 coins to settle any transaction. If you exceed that limit, retailers do not have to accept payment.

I didn't know that.

Does that also apply to the self service checkouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Tesco have coin machines will take the coin count it and give you receipt that customer service will then give you cash for.
    They take a small % for the service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Tesco have coin machines will take the coin count it and give you receipt that customer service will then give you cash for.
    They take a small % for the service

Not so small, some of them take almost 10%

I didn't know that.

You can shovel cent coins into the machine till you have paid. But please think about others and only do it when the store is quite.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can shovel cent coins into the machine till you have paid. But please think about others and only do it when the store is quite.

Ah now, I'm not one of those. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Gerard93 wrote:
    Tesco have coin machines will take the coin count it and give you receipt that customer service will then give you cash for. They take a small % for the service

Not so small, some of them take almost 10%

If you put your coins into the machine in Tesco. Then use the voucher to buy something the % is waived. And they will give change back from the voucher as well without the %.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Don't think about others, it's legal tender. You want to get use the coins go when you please

I didn't know that.

I honestly don’t know.

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    Don't think about others, it's legal tender. You want to get use the coins go when you please

Anymore than 50 coins is not legal tender! And since it's a shop you have no debt to pay so the shop could refuse to take any money off you and ask you to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

If you put your coins into the machine in Tesco. Then use the voucher to buy something the % is waived. And they will give change back from the voucher as well without the %.

The % is always taken. The machine calculates the % before you get your voucher so regardless of whether you spend the money on goods or cash out the percentage is taken. The self scans will take as many coins as you feed them - I worked in Tesco cash office for years - the self scans in Tesco recycle the coins except for the 2 c and 20c ( that was back in my day anyways) so lots of coin is always welcome. It won’t let you over pay though so just use it a couple of times

Anymore than 50 coins is not legal tender! And since it's a shop you have no debt to pay so the shop could refuse to take any money off you and ask you to leave.

That policy could be open to some litigation, surely you owe money for the goods that you intend to purchase. When the goods are put through the till you owe a sum of money and the coins then suffice as legal tender, in order to balance what you owe.

surely one would construe that as a debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had the Tesco one stop taking coins, thought I could get rid of a load.

• Advertisement

That policy could be open to some litigation, surely you owe money for the goods that you intend to purchase. When the goods are put through the till you owe a sum of money and the coins then suffice as legal tender, in order to balance what you owe.

The onus is on you to provide payment of your debt, within the 50 coin limit. In excess of 50 coins does not constitute legal tender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. Putting them through the till doesn't create a debt and the shop can cancel or refuse if they wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That policy could be open to some litigation, surely you owe money for the goods that you intend to purchase.

That theory falls on the basis of the word 'intend' - you can intend anything you like but in the case of a retail transaction, the store can refuse to sell you the item in which case there is no transfer of ownership and therefore no debt arises.
    When the goods are put through the till you owe a sum of money and the coins then suffice as legal tender, in order to balance what you owe.

Having an item in your hand with the intention of paying for it does not give rise to a debt. If the store refuses the transaction, there is no debt and legal tender does not arise.

dudara wrote: »
    The onus is on you to provide payment of your debt, within the 50 coin limit. In excess of 50 coins does not constitute legal tender

Sorry I don't have my copy of the Irish constitution to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I’ve done this in tesco at the self service check outs. I put about €15 in 1,2,5,10 cent coins,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Just take it easy, too many coins will jam the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The constitution may be broad but this is in legislation, not the constitution

No. Putting them through the till doesn't create a debt and the shop can cancel or refuse if they wished.

Ok but the cashier will ask you to pay for your goods, what's the definition of a debt again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

You don't need a copy of Bunreacht Na hÉireann, just a copy of the Economic and Monetary Union Act 1998

Here is a handy link
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1998/act/38/enacted/en/print.html

And this is the relevant paragraph
    Legal tender amounts of coins.

10.—(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The constitution may be broad but this is in legislation, not the constitution

Does the constitution say that there is 50 coin maximum? The OP should buy one at Dunnes.

Advertisement