Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes self service and a big bag of copper coins

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Get some coin bags from a bank or a shop.Bag all the coins according to each bag requirement.Take them to a shop.Most small shops will be delighted to take bagged coins as their banks charge to accept coins and charge shops when they want change.A bank can/will charge a customer who does not have a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

beachhead wrote: »
    Get some coin bags from a bank or a shop.Bag all the coins according to each bag requirement.Take them to a shop.Most small shops will be delighted to take bagged coins as their banks charge to accept coins and charge shops when they want change.A bank can/will charge a customer who does not have a bank account.

That is true - and some charities & churches do this. but ensure bags are full bags. eg €5 of 5c, €10 of 10c etc and check beforehand rather than jut assume they'll take it

Pubs are another place that will welcome bagged coin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Tesco have coin machines will take the coin count it and give you receipt that customer service will then give you cash for.
    They take a small % for the service

Thank you for that information. I didn't know Tesco stores had those and it sorted out all my problems with the coins. ;):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The coinstar machines I have used in Tesco are % if you are just getting cash. Or full value if you use the voucher in the shop.

Please post a photo of the T&Cs if you can I am 99% sure you are mistaken and yours is not some oddball one. It's a confidence trick, proper and deliberate con job, I am 100% about that in the ones I saw.

Most have not counted the money beforehand so have no idea that the % is taken.

It has come up several times before, people have complained and gotten full refunds for being scammed. Unfortunately I reckon you are too late and have been scammed before with no recourse. But PLEASE do not continue this when you realise you have been scammed, inform people you have mistakenly misled, do not be embarrassed, they are sly scumbags and I nearly fell for it myself as did relatives.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    It has come up several times before, people have complained and gotten full refunds for being scammed. Unfortunately I reckon you are too late and have been scammed before with no recourse. But PLEASE do not continue this when you realise you have been scammed, inform people you have mistakenly misled, do not be embarrassed, they are sly scumbags and I nearly fell for it myself as did relatives.

How on earth is it a scam in any way shape or form?

The commission rate is very clearly displayed on the machine, its also displayed on the screen as you start using it and the commission taken is clearly printed on your receipt.

Their website also gives clear information on the commission.

Granted if you put in €2, €1 & 50c coins it's pricey even taking value of time, but for shrapnel coin and even 10c/20c, I think its fair value.

People may think the bank doesn't charge them 2.45% for fully sorted bags, but they do in almost all cases and its in your quarterly charges statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Haven't read majority of thread but a heads up for anyone with coins ( apologies if mentioned already ) Topaz aka Circle K have updated some of their garages to no cash access for till operators and have installed coin counters and auto note checkers, I've managed to use €15 of small denomination coins 5, 10, 20 and 50c to pay for fuel, easiest way is to put a handful or two of change into the machine and a €5 note to bring it over the top, you get the change back in the largest denominations the machine has. Only thing I would suggest is not to do it at a busy time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Exceptionally aggressive reply deleted; please familiarise yourself with the charter...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CeilingFly wrote: »
    How on earth is it a scam in any way shape or form?
    pm me if you want to know or missed it. Sad to see I get warned but potential 'consumers' are still reading the incorrect (non deleted) post I reported and are at risk of being scammed... Great priorities...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

the T&C’s are clearly posted. Some Tesco stores refund the commission if putting the voucher towards purchases. I brought down a bag of 1,2 and 5 cent coins last September. The machine correctly counted €8. The receipt printed off €7.19 (or something like that) but as I was putting it towards my groceries it scanned as €8

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    pm me if you want to know or missed it. Sad to see I get warned but potential 'consumers' are still reading the incorrect (non deleted) post I reported and are at risk of being scammed... Great priorities...

We normally agree on many issues, but I can't see the scsm here as I've used it and the charges are very clearly detailed and not hidden in any way whatsoever.

If anything, they are very clear on the commission, though I think it was 8.9% and is now 9.9%

Personally I think its a great service for the small coins.

And I've a rack of shrapnel ready to be converted. So I'll check this week and report back if full value is given against purchases.

Then it can be clear.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    the T&C’s are clearly posted. Some Tesco stores refund the commission if putting the voucher towards purchases. I brought down a bag of 1,2 and 5 cent coins last September. The machine correctly counted €8. The receipt printed off €7.19 (or something like that) but as I was putting it towards my groceries it scanned as €8

This is exactly what happened with me. The machine took it's commission and the girl at the customer service desk gave that commission back to me in the change.

We normally agree on many issues, but I can't see the scsm here as I've used it and the charges are very clearly detailed and not hidden in any way whatsoever.

If anything, they are very clear on the commission, though I think it was 8.9% and is now 9.9%

Personally I think its a great service for the small coins.

Yes, a scam is when a person is being deceived. Coinstar machines have the conditions clearly displayed on the interface and the machine itself.

And I've a rack of shrapnel ready to be converted. So I'll check this week and report back if full value is given against purchases.

Then it can be clear.

Machine took €2.88 in commission from me and I got it back when I paid for stuff at Tescos customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I know some Tesco and supervalu stores definitely do give the full amount back. My Tesco did. I counted 11.88 in coins. Put them in machine. It did deduct the commission but when I bought phone credit at customer service she put through €11.88.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

dave98 wrote: »
    I know some Tesco and supervalu stores definitely do give the full amount back. My Tesco did. I counted 11.88 in coins. Put them in machine. It did deduct the commission but when I bought phone credit at customer service she put through €11.88.

This is definitely only a new thing so as when I worked there the receipt only scanned at the amount minus the commission there was no alternative- they must have had lots of complaints and changed it

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

rubadub wrote:
    Please post a photo of the T&Cs if you can I am 99% sure you are mistaken and yours is not some oddball one. It's a confidence trick, proper and deliberate con job, I am 100% about that in the ones I saw.

rubadub wrote:
    Most have not counted the money beforehand so have no idea that the % is taken.

rubadub wrote:

Maz2016 wrote:

This is exactly what happened with me. The machine took it's commission and the girl at the customer service desk gave that commission back to me in the change.

@Rubadub I haven't scammed anyone and defo nothing to be embarrassed about. I simply posted from my past experiences. It also looks like other people have had the same result as me.
    So I take it the @Spon Farmer and @Maz2016 are also scammers and are going to be embarrassed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Sinus pain wrote: »
    This is definitely only a new thing so as when I worked there the receipt only scanned at the amount minus the commission there was no alternative- they must have had lots of complaints and changed it

Has worked like this my local Tesco for a number of years, full amount redeemed if used on your shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The way to make coins work is to use them in a Coindrum machine in Dublin Airport. You get a 10% bonus on your coin deposit to spend in the Airport. So your €50 of coins would get you €55!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/coindrum-startup-retail-2-3003726-Oct2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Has worked like this my local Tesco for a number of years, full amount redeemed if used on your shopping.

I used a coinstar in tesco last night and it definitely had the option to use the voucher to pay for shopping with no commission taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

My local pub loves taking in bagged coins in exchange for notes. Banks charge them a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Ive got maybe 50 in sterling in mixed uk coins, do coin star operate in Tesco Norn Iron ?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

worded wrote: »
    Ive got maybe 50 in sterling in mixed uk coins, do coin star operate in Tesco Norn Iron ?
    I just looked this up the other day there's a map on the website. Two in enniskillen one in tesco., One in asda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

worded wrote: »

Yep, Sainsburys and Adas also usually have them.

They won't take old pound coins any more btw.

Advertisement