Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old mountain bike Geometry V New

Options
  • 15-07-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi

What do the newer mountain bikes feel like to ride ?

I have a commencal meta 2005 that I picked up second hand a few years back. Straight steerer , 26 inch wheels . I have been enjoying it but I hear that the new bikes feel much safer to ride as they are a slacker and put you sitting further back on the bike . I hear the old ones climb better as your more over the front wheel.

Although I like the bike I have I do get this going over the bars sensation lot despite putting a shorter stem and a high rise bar on it .Probably doesn't help that Im 6'2 and even with the dropper down i'm fairly high up

Would I feel safer / more confident on the newer bikes ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

In my experience newer bike has made a night and day difference. Up until a month ago i was using an old 26" full suss from 2010 with 150mm up front and back and a 2012 26" hard tail with 100mm up front. Im now on a 2016 27.5" cube with 160mm up front 140 on the rear. It climbs better than my hardtail, flies down the hills and im not worrying as much about whether my bike will handle going over something without sending me over the bars. Feels more like i am sitting in the bike as opposed to on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have an Orange Prestige (circa 1992, hard-tail with 50mm Rock Shox Judy XC forks), a Klein Attitude custom (circa 2003, with 80mm Manitou skareb forks) and a Nukeproof Mega 275 Factory 2018. The main difference between the Orange & Klein is things like ability to slap discs on the Klein but not the Orange, but both are of that vintage of head down arse up stretch position. They're great for climbing on; and as a point of note the Klein climbs like a monkey on an acid trip, and not bad in general, but it's like night and day next to the Mega, not only because it's a full-suspension carbon monster with 170mm travel but because the newer geometry makes it incredibly stable and confidence inspiring when on the really rough stuff.

Edit: yes, the geometry of older bikes should lead to better climbing ability but in practice it just means I lean forward a little more in the seat on the Mega. I am 6'3 riding an XL if that helps.

Advertisement