Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Novak Djokovic faces backlash at home for supporting Croatia in the World Cup

• 15-07-2018 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Novak Djokovic has come in for criticism from a Serbian politician for publicly supporting Croatia in the World Cup.

Vladimir Djukanovic, a member of Serbia’s ruling party, branded Djokovic an “idiot” and said that he should be ashamed of himself for backing their neighbouring country.

The 12-time Grand Slam champion was quoted in Serbian media as saying “I am backing Croatia… I know who I would like to lift the trophy”.

Both nations used to be part of Yugoslavia before Croatia declared independence in 1991 and political tensions still exist in the region.

Djukanovic tweeted: “Only idiots can support Croatia. Aren’t you ashamed Novak?”

And in a video posted to social media, he said: “Djokovic is a national hero and I thank him – but support Croatia, how can he not be ashamed?

“So many Serbs from Krajina (a region in Croatia where Serbs were once the majority) backed him and yet he supports the country who drove them out.

“I repeat that all those who supported Croatia against Russia are psychopaths and mad, fit for being locked up in an asylum.”

Djokovic had posted images of himself with Croatian football stars such as Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic to his Instagram account prior to the World Cup.

https://www.tennis365.com/grand-slam/wimbledon/novak-djokovic-comes-under-fire-for-croatia-support/

He has been facing heavy backlash on social media from Serbians for doing so. Serbian politicians seemingly were calling on people to support England in the semi final earlier this week.

I actually don't know an awful lot about Balkan politics in great detail, but its interesting the conversation that's been going on here whether or not Irish people should support England (the journal.ie poll showed 32% of Irish people would), well Novak Djokovic, a Serbian nationalist, also offered support to a neighbour unfortunately its gone down like a lead balloon.

703427-djoko-croatia-players-insta-1.jpg

Could you imagine if an Irish sportstar offered support to England and local politicians here started posting abuse at him on facebook/twitter, how sad would that look?

But generally it's not the norm for a Serbian nationalist to support Croatia in the World Cup is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Go on the france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Not exactly known for their calm thinking and peaceful live and let live outlook on life are the Serbs

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

LMAO the balkans makes the troubles and Irish-Anglo relations look like child's play. I feel if the British or whatever you want to call them, normans or whatever didn't infiltrate into the structures and fabric of Irish society so much then relations between Ireland and Britain would be much more fraught. I don't know the truth behind the famine and then the ins and out of the War of Independence , but I think we take a very progressive attitude to it in this country. All things considered, we're not that hostile to British(English)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Croatia strong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I like Croatia and croatians a lot, but as a nation they have gotten off very lightly for the crimes that were committed for Croatia, both recently and especially by the Ustashe in WW2; hundreds of thousands of serbs killed, 90% of the jewish population exterminated and almost all the Roma.. yet you go to any Croatian football gathering today and there is a good chance you will hear people chanting their slogans (I know I did today)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

‘A Serbian Film’ was vile. I thought the Croatia football team was entertaining to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

That news really ruined my day. Thanks a lot. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Croatian football culture stinks to be honest, total acceptance of fascist slogans and politics on the terraces. In England we have Kick Racism out of Football etc, over there they couldn't give a toss about people flying big swastika flags at games.

Delighted to see them getting thumped by a load of black fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Friend of a friend of mine (Serb) was watching the Croatia / England match in a café with in Belgrade which was fairly full. There were mixed emotions and many were not really decided on who to cheer for (one the one hand, on the other hand, etc.). when Croatia won, most agreed that they had been much the better team and had played very well, and a bit of a round of applause went around.

2 minutes later a few teenage skinheads who had heard the applause rolled in, lambasted everyone for supporting 'those ££$%$s' and proceeded to throw a few tables around.

Croatia did get off very lightly for ethnically cleansing Krajina, and even got to feel good about it when a Hague tribunal found a number of Croat Generals not guilty of that cleaning in a very questionable split decision judgement.

Djokovic in fairness is walking a tightrope any time he says anything about the region, but he is doing the right things and the drum banging by some ultra nationalist politician will be seen for what it is in Serbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

That news really ruined my day. Thanks a lot. :(

There was a lot of discussion regarding Irish people supporting England in the World Cup and caused some heated discussions in the World Cup threads, so I thought it was sort of relevant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement