Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease termination query

Options
  • 16-07-2018 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

We recently received notice that the apartment we are renting is to be sold. We have been in the apartment less than 6 months so are due 28 days notice. The written notice was received this week, and it gives 31 days notice. Is this considered invalid as the the notice period should only be 28 days?
    The notice states we have to leave on or before a certain date. If somewhere new is found and we have to take it within a couple of days, what is the best way of leaving the current apartment? Do we have to still give the 28 day notice to our landlord even though there aren’t 28 days left on our lease?

I know these are basic questions and I’m fairly sure of the answers but I just want to make sure I’m 100% due to an issue that looks to be arising

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its 28 minimum notice- 31 days notice is totally acceptable- indeed- if they gave you your notice on the very day you moved in- it would be equally valid.
    Its a minimum notice period- not a specific period. Providing the notice itself is valid- there is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with it being for 31 days, as opposed to 28 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

BDJW wrote: »
    We recently received notice that the apartment we are renting is to be sold. We have been in the apartment less than 6 months so are due 28 days notice. The written notice was received this week, and it gives 31 days notice. Is this considered invalid as the the notice period should only be 28 days?
    The notice states we have to leave on or before a certain date. If somewhere new is found and we have to take it within a couple of days, what is the best way of leaving the current apartment? Do we have to still give the 28 day notice to our landlord even though there aren’t 28 days left on our lease?

I know these are basic questions and I’m fairly sure of the answers but I just want to make sure I’m 100% due to an issue that looks to be arising

Is the notice headed "Termination Notice"? Are you in a fixed term lease? Does the notice give you the whole 24 hours of the last day to vacate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Is the notice headed "Termination Notice"? Are you in a fixed term lease? Does the notice give you the whole 24 hours of the last day to vacate?

I’m not sure if it’s header Termination Notice, but I’m almost certain it. We are in a fixed term lease and it does give us the whole 24 hours of the last day to vacate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I’m not sure if it’s header Termination Notice, but I’m almost certain it. We are in a fixed term lease and it does give us the whole 24 hours of the last day to vacate
    How long is the fixed term lease for? How long do you have remaining? Is there a break clause in the event of the place being sold?

You shouldn't be given notice during the fixed term at all, and I'm not sure break clauses are even allowed. Sounds a bit dodgy.

If you are in a fixed term lease you can object to the notice to the RTB. You can then negotiate with the landlord about moving out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fixed term lease = no breaking of it by either party.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Fixed term lease = no breaking of it by either party.

Unless the lease provides for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Unless the lease provides for it.
    Of course.
    But if it did, I'm guessing the OP would have referred to the notice stating same.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Of course.
    But if it did, I'm guessing the OP would have referred to the notice stating same.

The O/P didn't even say he was in a fixed term lease initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Just to give a bit more detail, we signed a 1 year lease approximately 4 months ago. I will dig out the lease tonight and double check, but I don't think there was a break clause in it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just to give a bit more detail, we signed a 1 year lease approximately 4 months ago. I will dig out the lease tonight and double check, but I don't think there was a break clause in it

In which case- you have the protections afforded by the fixed term lease- which are in addition to any rights you have under the Residential Tenancies Act (and cannot detract from them in any manner).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

In this spot the best course of action is negotiation with landlord. As a landlord given your situation I’d be offering a months free rent as an incentive to break lease.

Advertisement