Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank transfer - Doesnt "Name on Account" matter?

• 16-07-2018 8:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hi, need to transfer sum from my account to another.

Where it asks for BIC etc.. there is a field called: "Name on Account" but can't fit entire company name there, does it matter if it's spelt fully or shortened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it doesn't fit, that probably isn't the name on the account. Check with the account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Victor wrote: »
    If it doesn't fit, that probably isn't the name on the account. Check with the account holder.

Lol. I do loads of bank transfers and the name more often than not doesnt fit (usually company names) and its never been a problem. I usually just type what does fit or abbreviate it. Maybe someone else can confirm but im fairly sure the name doesnt do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From what I remember it’s BIC & IBAN that matter. The name is just a descriptor and not part of the validation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Okay thank you, I will just shorten the Name and send it to BIC & IBAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

The name is not validated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Name doesn't matter, just put in an abbreviated version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

BIC no longer matters either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    BIC no longer matters either.
    ..even though lots of companies still ask for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jimjay wrote: »
    Lol. I do loads of bank transfers and the name more often than not doesnt fit ....(usually company names) and its never been a problem.

+1 but doesn't even have to be a long company name. EBS for example limits you to 12 characters when you're registering an electronic payee which means they can't fit common names like Fergus McCarthy or Mairead McNamara so it doesn't matter. Even a relatively short name like James Murphy just about makes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

BIC does not matter. BIC should not be asked for but if it is it should be an optional field.

Name of account is a mandatory field. It normally does not matter. However, if there is a problem with the payment or it goes missing or ends up in the wrong account or it needs to be traced, filling out this field can help those doing missing funds recs locate the payment. In short, you are best filling this in correctly where possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement