Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling shoes

Options
  • 16-07-2018 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I currently just use runners when cycling and I don't have any cycling shoes. I recently joined a club and was out with them a week or two ago and a few of them suggested I get cycling shoes. They were saying how the better for cycling as you kind of pull the pedal up when you leg moves up etc and you've more power. Think there were other benefits too but I can't remember what they said :)

I've seen cycling shoes before but I guess I've been reluctant to buy them as they require new pedals on my bike, they don't look like they can be used for walking any distance. I wouldn't be planning long walks wearing them but if I was out on a cycle and wanted to go into a shop I don't want to be slipping and sliding all over the place. I also have this rational/irrational fear that if I needed to get off the bike in a hurry, my feet would be stuck to the pedals and I'd more likely fall as a result of being unable to get my feet unclipped.

One of them suggested mountain bike style shoes? I think they still clip but are different from maybe road cycling shoes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

veganrun wrote: »
    ...One of them suggested mountain bike style shoes? I think they still clip but are different from maybe road cycling shoes?
    The cleats are recessed in the sole on these type of shoes and are smaller(commonly referred to as SPD's) making walking easier without wearing down the cleats. They are very popular among commuting cyclists who may have to do a bit of walking.

Road shoes have protruding cleats making walking unsuitable except for very short distances e.g. tea stop. Walking wears down the cleats.

You need to get the pedals to match the type you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I use the above mentioned Mountain bike style and then have worked very well. I think they cost me not much more than €100 including pedals but certainly aren't top of the range.

Yes, you will fall off (or have some very near misses) but you won't be moving forward at the time so the only thing that bruises is the pride ( and those bruises disappear quite quickly).

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

My lucky number of falling over before getting the hang of it was 3. Most embarrassing was coming up to a red light on the left hand side and moving across the bike box to position myself for a right hand turn. I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I recently got speed play aero cleats. Extremely easy to walk in compared to normal speed play cleats. I’d always recommend speed play pedals as they have a huge amount of float adjustment, better for the knees.

Getting your foot out is simple. Twist your heel and it’s done. You won’t fall if you practice enough.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

Do you also use the bike for commuting in a town/city or just for leisure/exercise? I got road shoes recently and while they are fine on weekend spins, I find them a pain on the commute. Maybe SPDs and mountain bike shoes would be better for that job, though I know a lot of people commute in road shoes as well.

If you're only using the bike for exercise then maybe road shoes would be better. I could be wrong, but I'd guess that most cyclists in clubs would use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

This is a good video explaining different types of pedal/cleat options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTviU17GmQs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would agree with most of the previous posters and suggest that you go with SPDs - much easier to walk around in! You will fall off a couple of times until you get the hang of them but it does (eventually) become second nature!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

mountain bike shoes and pedals for me, can be picked up for small money and no clip clopping around

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

There are also double sided pedals. Like Shimano A530. Flat side for commute, SPD side for club spins. With so many smartphone zombies around, I wouldn't dream about commuting clipped in and I always admire those cyclists who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

strmin wrote: »
    There are also double sided pedals. Like Shimano A530. Flat side for commute, SPD side for club spins. With so many smartphone zombies around, I wouldn't dream about commuting clipped in and I always admire those cyclists who do.

I have those pedals on my single-speed they're nice for beginners as they can be made very light to get in and out of if needed. I've been riding mountain bike style SPD pedals/shoes for 4 years or so now. They're perfect for commuting, and I wouldn't have the same concern as above regarding commuting. You can get off the pedals easily, and it really becomes second nature after a time. (So much so that I still go to unclip when riding in normal shoes/pedals).

All that being said I am about to change to SPD-SL road pedals and shoes. My commute doesn't take me through the city centre and I fancy the extra rigidity in the cleats of SPD-SL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

SPD aka mtb type pedals to go. Gives you more float, able to walk in them and you can use the other side with runners. But then again, if you are happy with the toeclips, continue on with using them.

I was in the same situation before and didn't regret changing it over. Got used to clipless system very quick and I miss it when I'm using a bike which doesn't have one. And it's tidier too, one twist of the ankle and the foot is off, one click and good to go. You won't forget about being clipped in as the interaction with the pedals becomes natural, you'll do it without thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

For commuting I will just be using my hybrid bike and normal shoes. The cycling shoes would be for the road bike when I head out on 15k plus spins etc.

Had a look at some online today. Seems you need cleats as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

veganrun wrote: »

Had a look at some online today. Seems you need cleats as well?

Pedals are supplied c/w cleats

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Sorry to Hijack thread, any suggestions where to pick up a pair? I'm in a similar position to the OP, first time buying a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Sorry to Hijack thread, any suggestions where to pick up a pair? I'm in a similar position to the OP, first time buying a pair.

Try any of the online retailers for shoes if you know your size - can always order 2 pairs and send back the ones that don't fit.
    Alternatively sportsdirect/heatons sometimes have some entry level shoes - I think it's the muddy fox range if you want a bricks & mortar cheap option.

For example:
    https://ie.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-tour-100-low-mens-cycling-shoes-144093?colcode=14409341&pr=1

For pedals, I'd go with something like this if you also think you may use regular shoes on occasion.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

Advertisement