Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartest way to win a bid on a house

Options
  • 16-07-2018 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

So I’m going to bid on a house. In my opinion, it’s priced around it’s worth. I won’t pay much more for it anyway. How would you play it?

It just went up and has had one viewing. No bids yet. Come in early and low or wait to see who else is bidding?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If there is no bids on it I wouldnt be the first to bid.

Give it a week or two and see how the land lies then but keep checking in to see if there is bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Don`t bid or buy. Wait for the next crash in property prices. Buy gold while you are waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

Don`t bid or buy. Wait for the next crash in property prices. Buy gold while you are waiting.

I need somewhere to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

This x 10000000.

My mortgage company were delighted to issue the loan pack for gold while I wait to collect the €€€ on the other side after the crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

big syke wrote: »
    This x 10000000.

My mortgage company were delighted to issue the loan pack for gold while I wait to collect the €€€ on the other side after the crash

Op can also use the gold as shelter while waiting for this crash.

• Advertisement

big syke wrote: »

My mortgage company were delighted to issue the loan pack for gold ...

What is this obsession with borrowing! Even when someone suggests saving (in the form of gold), immediately there are those who think of borrowing to buy gold.

I need somewhere to live!

Do you need negative equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What is this obsession with borrowing! Even when someone suggests saving (in the form of gold), immediately there are those who think of borrowing to buy gold.

Credit makes the world go around, otherwise many economys would be stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hows gold doing these days

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hows gold doing these days

Its going down. Houses are going up. That is why I would buy more gold and wait it out. Regrettably, I can`t because of other commitments.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Credit makes the world go around, otherwise many economys would be stationary.

Credit depends on creditworthiness. I am a bit dubious about the quadrillion dollar derivatives market and the ability of central bankers to stop another systemic failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

I'll buy gold with the change. I have the money to buy the house. No lending involved.

Any advice on the bidding?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'll buy gold with the change. I have the money to buy the house. No lending involved.

Any advice on the bidding?

There is no right and wrong way to bid. If people want to out bid you, they’re going to do it anyway. Worry about what you can control. Bid the asking or 5k below.

Don’t get emotionally attached though, you’re probably going to be outbid. I was outbid on 5 houses between January and March. You get used to it. Pick the figure of how much you want to spend and then stop bidding at that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Bid early a few grand below and let them know you are serious and want to be updated if you are trumped.

Don't go above what you are happy to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

If you're the first bidder, bid lower than the asking.

I generally waited a week before bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Bid early a few grand below and let them know you are serious and want to be updated if you are trumped.

Don't go above what you are happy to pay.

My problem with the whole process has always been you have no way of knowing if the counter bids are real or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

So I’m going to bid on a house. In my opinion, it’s priced around it’s worth. I won’t pay much more for it anyway. How would you play it?

It just went up and has had one viewing. No bids yet. Come in early and low or wait to see who else is bidding?

There isn’t necessarily a smart way to bid as depending on who you are up against the same strategy could be good or bad.

But don’t feel any rush to place your first bid, and be clear about rhe max price you want to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A larger jump in price can help. (well it did for me! :))

I was bidding against one person. 5k increments. Had a final 10k before hitting my limit so decided to go all in and bid 10k extra rather than 5k, they didn't come back with another bid and I got the house.

Bidding against someone on another property. I put the first bid in. They came back with a 2k price increase. I went 5k. They didn't come back and I got that property.

It's risky as in both the above scenarios, a smaller increment might have done it. But I do feel it lent itself favorably in securing both properties. I bid on countless other properties without doing the above and was outbid on them all.

That's the thing about this whole process, you'll never know and are just guessing the who way along based on what you've experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Make a reasonable bid with a hard time limit of no more than two working days. Refuse to compromise on the time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Brian? wrote: »
    There is no right and wrong way to bid. If people want to out bid you, they’re going to do it anyway. Worry about what you can control. Bid the asking or 5k below.

Don’t get emotionally attached though, you’re probably going to be outbid. I was outbid on 5 houses between January and March. You get used to it. Pick the figure of how much you want to spend and then stop bidding at that.

+1 on this advice. I have been outbid numerous times as well and just stuck to my cut off point - it was tough as I was like what's another 5 k etc but just have to stand firm - felt a few times like as if I was the sellers friend with the way I increased the price and just a contributor to booming house prices ! I was getting so close but just not enough to get me over the line.

Also my thinking if the bids were fake the EA would get back to me 2 weeks later or something and say the sale fell through etc and if I was still interested - of all the bids I bailed out on not one came back to me so I can only assume it was all above board and lost out fairly .

Such a cloak and dagger process … you never know what's going on behind the scenes - every bid scenario has thought me a different lesson ( go aggressive jumps v's incremental jumps ) - no right way just go with you head/gut ; get in your interest early with EA and just hope for the best - that's what keeping me going anyway and I am still searching nearly 12 months later !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I dont think there's a right answer to your question.

I think there's a wrong answer; such as all that stuff about gold earlier.

I also think trying to 'second guess' the estate agent, or the seller.....dont go there.

Here is the situation
    - You are bidding, you have an idea in your head re what the house is worth and how much you want it. You dont know how many other people are thinking of bidding.
    - Other people thinking of bidding have exactly the same information as you.
    -The seller has an idea re the minimum they will take.

So basically
    - if you can and are willing to pay more than other bidders; and if your bid price is enough for the seller; then you will go sale agreed.

After that - do you bid now or wait, do you go up small increments or one large jump.....you'll just never know what they right approach is IN THIS CASE.....so I wouldnt bother second guessing. Its what you feel comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Yeah I don't think there is any good way to do it at all. I can see how the bidding in big jumps can work but it actually worked opposite for us. We were close to our limit and had tiny bids in the end compared to our previous bids, and it is only when we slowed down and started bidding small increments that we started to win, the counter bidder bid small amounts too and then we eventually won . I often wonder if it was just EA seeing how much more he could squeeze out of us. No way of knowing and no point in us thinking about it either.

The lesson is though, as others have said, there is no right way, or best way. Everyone will have different contrasting stories of experiences for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,074 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bid really low first, and then let others have a bidding war and then swoop in with a bid to blow them out of the water.

whatever76 wrote: »
    +1 on this advice. I have been outbid numerous times as well and just stuck to my cut off point - it was tough as I was like what's another 5 k etc but just have to stand firm - felt a few times like as if I was the sellers friend with the way I increased the price and just a contributor to booming house prices ! I was getting so close but just not enough to get me over the line.

Also my thinking if the bids were fake the EA would get back to me 2 weeks later or something and say the sale fell through etc and if I was still interested - of all the bids I bailed out on not one came back to me so I can only assume it was all above board and lost out fairly .

Such a cloak and dagger process … you never know what's going on behind the scenes - every bid scenario has thought me a different lesson ( go aggressive jumps v's incremental jumps ) - no right way just go with you head/gut ; get in your interest early with EA and just hope for the best - that's what keeping me going anyway and I am still searching nearly 12 months later !!

+1 to this. The amount of nonsense I saw on property pin about 'fake bids' and phantom bids.

Estate agents are far more professional than people give them credit for. In fact, i do think it helps a lot of in the bidding process if you accept EA's as professionals who are out to do a good job representing their client (the seller, not the buyer), nothing more and nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Make a reasonable bid with a hard time limit of no more than two working days. Refuse to compromise on the time limit.

Completely useless tactic if you are trying to buy a house. What seller in their right mind would accept a bid within 48hrs? Better to leave it on the market and wait for other bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just a bit of an aside if ye don't mind.
    What percentage would I expect to pay if I was hiring a project manager to manage a house build?

only thing you have any control over is yourself and how far you are willing to bid , dont worry about whether the estate agent is telling lies because they are always telling lies , you might hate the game but you have no choice but play it , in this market , even the agent bluffs too far , the house will be sold anyway

set your price limit but allow yourself to cross it by 5 k , its worth going over your limit a little as you dont know what will be the tipping point for another bidder

Are you joking?

The 'In this market' bit......the market today, in terms of the processes or the competition, is no different to how it was five years or fifteen years ago.

The aberration was a period from mid-2007 to mid 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Make one bid for slightly over, tell them it's time-limited and want it off the market straight away.

Why would they agree to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

You need to play hardball OP. You need to get inside the mind of the seller and **** with them.

A good tactic is to offer the asking and say your offer will reduce by 1k per day until they accept. Puts time pressure on them and they'll just jump at your offer.

If there's open viewings make sure to attend and loudly criticise the house in front of other potential buyers. Point out phoney structural issues with the house.

Best of luck.

Advertisement