Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Dublin 10km Sunday July 22nd

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Lazare wrote: »
    Agree.

And also, on the one bottle per person thing, I asked for a second bottle and the guy said sorry to me, really genuinely, that they just wanted to make sure they had enough stock to cover everyone. He then gently reminded me that I had a 500ml Lucozade sport in my goody bag.

I thought that was fair and reasonable. These events don't make money guys, they put on a great event for us, let's play ball with them and stop expecting to be spoonfed.

Point taken, but can't really agree. I race a lot and probably around 500 in the last 10 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I came away without enough water. I expect more from these guys, they are at it long enough.

Yes I can google thanks for that, had a nice 15k cycle out! but canal cycle path was closed on the way back with the race still on so bit more work. Honestly I'm not trying to be a dick, look at the race booklets out there, Clontarf half for example, every i dotted and t crossed. Why not encourage race organisers to raise their game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

No offence but if your able to use boards, you can google transport to the area.

That's certaintly a bit unfair as it depends what direction you came from. We used google maps, as did many others, and we all ended up in the wrong Grange Castle business park. Some routes like off the Naas road must have been well signposted but there was certaintly nothing in the construction site we were brought to.

I think the whole event went well.

The water station really annoyed me as much later than it was supposed to be.

The little water bottles they gave at the finish would have been more suitable out on the course with the heat of the day.

I was much faster than I thought I would be but the canal was really tough. Kept telling myself it was less than x minutes left running. Got a PB and completely unexpected.

Long queue to get out in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Nice day out in a part of Dublin I am not familiar with at all! I followed google maps until I started to see signs for race traffic and got parked quickly etc. (I had done a bit of research before and knew the potential for google to send you to "Grange Business Park South" so knew to avoid that!)

Course itself was pretty nice, I struggled a bit on the long canal drag and my pace suffered for it. Not sure what it was, maybe the monotony or the gentle headwind, but I really was close to slowing down dramatically, and as it was they were my two slowest kilometers. Enjoyed the last 300m of gentle bends around the lake in the business park.

Finished in 40:01 which is a frustrating time, still a PB, but clearly 2 seconds quicker would have been nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Guys, I appreciate that people found the canal stretch difficult, yes it was humid but remember, water flows downhill, you were running against the flow so you were running slightly uphill for a few k's and of course it felt harder than the flat/downhill section you had run just before you turned onto the canal.

I personally found it to be a lovely course, and was delighted to see that the path in Corkagh had been resurfaced since I was there for a parkrun a few weeks ago.
    Hats of the South Dublin County Council for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I thought it was a great event. Plenty of parking, nice wee walk to the start, plenty of toilets.

Loved the route. I don't know the area at all so it was nice to run somewhere different. I thought the canal section was lovely and the support along the route was great. Nice and flat.

Liked the fact that I was not looking at the finish line for ages before I reached it.

Well done to all involved on a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Really enjoyed this one. Not a fan of cups of water at water stations but that's just a personal preference. It happens in other races too. I'd have been happier with the bottle during the race and the cups of water at end.

Liked the variety of the course route and loved the start/finish area. Was a really nice setting for that.

I'd definitely sign up again for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Not a fan of the cups either - I wonder were the just worried the bottles would end up in the canal as we went by....??

Other then that great race - would love it to be back there again next year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pros
    nice venue
    first time in Corkagh Park and always
    nice to trot along canal
    organisation excellent
    no delays of note in or out
    decent turnout from locals
    nice day for it
    Plenty of places to wee

Cons
    can't drink from cups during a run without stopping so skipped the water break
    shuttle bus from red cow should have kept going until 10 or 10:15
    tshirts a bit crap. Last years fabric was better

all in all a positive experience.

Found the going tough. I was on the money for the first 5k but then suffered a bit. Heat was an issue but in reality body was a bigger issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I think the t shirt is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Neera wrote: »
    Not a fan of the cups either - I wonder were the just worried the bottles would end up in the canal as we went by....??

Other then that great race - would love it to be back there again next year!

Not sure if it was down to the cups per se, but I did find there was a lot of surface water on the road at the drink station, I slipped going through, stayed upright but very nearly went arse over tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I really enjoyed it (inasmuch as you can enjoy these things) but I'm bit surprised at everyone saying how easy it was to get into. I sat in almost stationary traffic for almost half an hour waiting to turn into the business park. Ended up parking a long way off and only picked up my number 5mins before the start of the race! I made a hasty exit after the race in the assumption there would be similar issues leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

ewc78 wrote: »
    I think the t shirt is very good.

I thought it felt a bit coarse and rough on the day, but wore it running yesterday and it felt grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Pros
    nice venue
    first time in Corkagh Park and always
    nice to trot along canal
    organisation excellent
    no delays of note in or out
    decent turnout from locals
    nice day for it
    Plenty of places to wee

Cons
    can't drink from cups during a run without stopping so skipped the water break
    shuttle bus from red cow should have kept going until 10 or 10:15
    tshirts a bit crap. Last years fabric was better

all in all a positive experience.

Found the going tough. I was on the money for the first 5k but then suffered a bit. Heat was an issue but in reality body was a bigger issue

Cups are something you will need to get use to. Alot of the big races will use cups. Its good practice it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cups are something you will need to get use to. Alot of the big races will use cups. Its good practice it

Tried and can't without stopping. There was a bottle in my goody bag on Sunday I may use from now on.

Advertisement