Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase

Options
  • 16-07-2018 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hey - Quick Q,

Been renting an apartment since June 2015 in a rent pressure zone. Last increase in rent was 4% in November 2017, and just got a rent review of another 4% increase starting from November 2018. I was under the assumption that an increase could only be applied every 2 years, however I could be wrong.

Any info appreciated.

Ta
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

In an RPZ, rent reviews can be conducted annually, but the increase is limited to 4% per year. Outside of RPZs, they can only be done once every two years, but there's no statutory cap on the increase as long as the new rent is not more than "market rate". In both cases they have to provide you 90 days notice of the increase and must provide you with three example rental listings for comparable properties as evidence that the new rent is still in line with market rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

In a RPZ Rent can be reviewed 12 months after the previous rent review, and requires 90 days notice before it comes into effect.

You might have an argument that the review is taking place too soon - depending on when the last review was conducted. When did you get notice of the last rent increase? You specify rent increase took effect from last November, when did you receive notice that the rent review had taken place and that the rent would go up in November last.

It is possible for your rent to increase by 4% from next November. It might be a technical breach that the rent review appearst o have taken place in July rather than in August.

Consider whether you want to raise that however, if you succeed in blocking a rent increase that would be lawful on a purely technical ground you might find your landlord decides not to renew your part IV tenancy when it comes up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Hey - Quick Q,

Been renting an apartment since June 2015 in a rent pressure zone. Last increase in rent was 4% in November 2017, and just got a rent review of another 4% increase starting from November 2018. I was under the assumption that an increase could only be applied every 2 years, however I could be wrong.

Any info appreciated.

Ta

You moved in June 2015. Rent was set for 2years only at the start of the RPZ after that it becomes yearly increase of 4%.
    Landlord gave you notice now that the rent is going up on November which is more than the 90days notice required.

Advertisement