Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who exactly is Irish?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

more Irish than the Irish themselves

Even more than our primitive minds can comprehend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Anyone who was born in Ireland or has Irish parents is Irish. Simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Anyone who was born in Ireland or has Irish parents is Irish. Simple really

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Nope

No further explanation required, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Ibrahim halawa is surely a great representation of what it means to be Irish today.
    <Runs away and hides>

Not according to many in my poll.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057675185

Just 58% consider someone like him Irish, or ANYONE born and raised in Ireland without Irish parents, which to me is really surprising.

I'm pretty sure a poll asking British people the same question would be much higher than 58%, e.g. for Anthony Joshua (Nigerian parents), Raheem Sterling (who wasn't even born in the UK).

But of course people are entitled to whatever opinions they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

dunno if I have any Irishness in my blood. may go to dna.ancestry.co.uk and order a kit :)

But I liked this description by Eugene O'Neill "“A typical pure Irish family. The same loyalty occurs, of course, in all kinds of families, but there is, I think, among Irish still close to, or born in Ireland, a strange mixture of fight and hate and forgive, a clannish pride before the world, that is particularly our own.”"

Advertisement