Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The enemy of hummus and low gi diets is coming: Krispy Kreme doughnuts to open

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

We will see, Dunkin Donuts already failed.
    I still mourn the apple or blueberry crumble donut. But it was the 90's and people did not understand anthing outside of tea, coffee, soup and sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Donuts aren’t even nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If their doughnuts are as filling as the OP we won't have to worry about the diabetes risk anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I still mourn the apple or blueberry crumble donut. But it was the 90's and people did not understand anthing outside of tea, coffee, soup and sandwiches.

We hadn't reached peak hipster back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

judeboy101 wrote: »

Or peak fatty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They can join the umpteen other donut shops that have sprung up around Dublin in the last 18 months. The fad is over. Burrito joints, gin bars... What's next?

Omackeral wrote: »
    They can join the umpteen other donut shops that have sprung up around Dublin in the last 18 months. The fad is over. Burrito joints, gin bars... What's next?

Korean fried chicken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Instead of 'breastaurants', I think there's an opening for 'skafes' in Dublin, dopey eyed
    locals firing you up a big fry with a Johnny blue in their mouth and one hand down their tracksuit bottoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Whilst the 'healthiest option' (term used loosely) of all commercial doughnuts is probably their 'Original Plain Glazed' Doughnut.

x6 of these (49 gms ea.), will still load you up with 66g of fat, of which 30g is saturated. Not to mention over 1,000 calories.
    To burn that 1k cal you'l have to walk 4.5mph non-stop for 3hrs, or run for an hour, at a steady pace of 8mph.

Other fancier ones with fillings and toppings can be up to 500calories (each). I.e. 'junk food'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wonder how many Irish people have any idea how they're supposed to taste. You could probably just buy the same donuts Tesco sell, stick them in a box labelled Krispy Kreme, and sell them for a huge markup and no one would know the difference.

I'm convinced if a pizza shop with the same quality as Dominos but without the American brand name had opened up here it would have closed down within a year. The same with Subway. A shop selling overpriced rolls would never have lasted without the brand name. Similarly Krispy Kreme will probably do well because people have seen them in American films.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Omackeral wrote: »

And pulled pork and bbq before them. The thing is if you can spot or make the trend and then sell up quickly you could make a decent bit of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So basically another donut shop opening.

Slow start to the week come on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

YES!

Love these donuts, the ones we have at the moment are awful imitations. More like a cake than a donut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aungier Danger on Aungier St, Georges St and Merrion Row all closed down. Rolling Donut at OConnell Bridge closed down. Boston Donut off Dame Street closed down. There is probably more but its clear that the donut trend is over, hipsters must have moved on to something else.

I wonder how many Irish people have any idea how they're supposed to taste. You could probably just buy the same donuts Tesco sell, stick them in a box labelled Krispy Kreme, and sell them for a huge markup and no one would know the difference.

I'm convinced if a pizza shop with the same quality as Dominos but without the American brand name had opened up here it would have closed down within a year. The same with Subway. A shop selling overpriced rolls would never have lasted without the brand name. Similarly Krispy Kreme will probably do well because people have seen them in American films.

Possibly yes, but to the ones in the know there is no comparison between a proper, real donut and the heavy, stodgy, greasedripping Irish version.
    I have tried Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme and the dough is far nicer, much more like a German Berliner.
    Irish Donuts seem to be made out of deepfired sand in comparison, but as you said, people wouldn't have a clue.
    What further supports your hypothesis is Abrakebabra.
    The horrible, industrial bread filled with shredded car tires, cabbage and ketchup bears about as much resemblance to a proper kebab as roadkill to a steak, but people gobble it up like nothing else.

As a public service announcement I will only say this:
    A proper Kebab is layers of meat that is supposed to be on the spit, NOT industrial-grade, all purpose ground up runners and plastic bumpers from cars:

AP17334546332903.jpg

If it don't look like that, it ain't proper shawarma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Hipsters don't really eat donuts. It's usually people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

If it don't look like that, it ain't proper shawarma.

Is that it going in, or coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I worked in Dunkin Donuts at the start of the 90's. Free donuts. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

More dogsh!t for people to stuff into their gobs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Effects wrote: »
    Hipsters don't really eat donuts. It's usually people like you.

If hipsters don't eat doughnuts then why do vegan pistachio and salted caramel doughnuts exist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Keyzer wrote: »
    More dogsh!t for people to stuff into their gobs...

:pac:

I hate doughnuts. They're just chewy tasteless lumps of icky with added corn syrup.

verycool wrote: »
    Is that it going in, or coming out?

That's the proper stuff. What comes out goes to Abrakebabra.

It's actually funny how suspicious the Irish are of "ethnic" food or drink.
    The amount of scorn that's being heaped on "hipster" food is amazing, those are just people who try to bring you something different than the average Irish fair.
    I can write down the menu for any Irish food establishment.

Chipper:
    Garlic mushrooms, chips, burger, chicken burger, battered sausage, sometimes fish (processed). And chicken. Burger, snack box, goujons, nuggets...

Pub:
    Beef/pork/chicken from carvery with peas, carrots and spuds. Sandwiches, wraps and baps. And chicken. Burger, snack box, goujons, nuggets...
    Guinness, Heineken, Budweiser and (maybe) Carlsberg. Bags of Taytos.

Restaurant:
    Like a chipper and carvery combined with some more dessert options. Plus Guinness stew if tourists frequent the place. Except that the plate of food that costs €10 in the carvery now costs €20.
    And chicken. Burger, snack box, goujons, nuggets...

Cafes:
    Tea, coffee, soup and sandwiches. There will NEVER be a cafe that actually exists to serve cake, cake always has to be an afterthought.

My, you do eat a lot of chicken...

For the above, the same applies as to Irish supermarkets:
    One must never offer anything different, better, cheaper, unknown to the locals, unusual or exotic, unless the others offer the exact same thing at the exact same price.

Owing to Poe's law:
    :P:D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If hipsters don't eat doughnuts then why do vegan pistachio and salted caramel doughnuts exist?

They're so fatties can pretend they're foodies.

It's actually funny how suspicious the Irish are to "ethnic" food or drink.
    The amount of scorn that's being heaped on "hipster" food is amazing, those are just people who try to bring you something different than the average Irish fair.

Chipper:
    Garlic mushrooms, chips, burger, chicken burger, battered sausage, sometimes fish (processed). And chicken. Burger, snack box, goujons, nuggets...

Pub:
    Beef/pork/chicken from carvery with peas, carrots and spuds. Sandwiches, wraps and baps. And chicken. Burger, snack box, goujons, nuggets...

Restaurant:
    Like a chipper and carvery combined with some more dessert options. Plus Guinness stew if tourists frequent the place. Except that the plate of food that costs €10 in the carvery now costs €20.

Cafes:
    Tea, coffee, soup and sandwiches. There will NEVER be a cafe that actually exists to serve cake, cake always has to be an afterthought.

One must never offer anything different, better, cheaper, unknown to the locals, unusual or exotic, unless the others offer the exact same thing at the exact same price.

What are you on about? Bizarre rant.

What are you on about? Bizarre rant.

I forgot ;) and :P
    Not to be taken too seriously. But I came over to Ireland in the 90's, it was pretty much like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭the14thwarrior

Krispy Kreme are great donuts.
    cannot be compared to these pop up donut shops that you need a knife and fork to eat them with.
    can't wait.
    well i can actually. be nice to get a good old fashioned donut, please don't tell me i can get them in tesco or dunnes. NOT!!!!
    THEY doing ok in england......
    roll on KK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

It's actually funny how suspicious the Irish are of "ethnic" food or drink.

Chipper:

Pub:

Restaurant:

Cafes:

Owing to Poe's law:
    :P:D:cool:

Nice one,😠 im starving now, and im suppose to be on a diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I forgot ;) and :P
    Not to be taken too seriously. But I came over to Ireland in the 90's, it was pretty much like that.

Thing is your description of Irish food above is stuck in the 90s. We have come along way regards ethnic food since the 1990s. I can only speak for Dublin but the last five years have seen the opening of Korean, Vietnamese and proper Szechan Chinese restaurants to name a few.

Advertisement