Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trampoline for 3 and half year old - too young?

Options
  • 16-07-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

am i jumping the gun buying a 10ft netted trampoline for a 3 and a half year old?... have been considering it but am afraid of him getting injured on it, what do people think?...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You are entirely free to buy a trampoline, kids love them.

Unfortunately the likelihood of your child or other children playing on that trampoline being injured is quite high. You have to weight up the pros and cons of a child having fun on the trampoline vs a child in a cast or boot with a broken or fractured leg/ankle etc. and being out of action for weeks on end. It may not be your child that has the accident, could be a neighbours kid or a classmate in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You are entirely free to buy a trampoline, kids love them.

Unfortunately the likelihood of your child or other children playing on that trampoline being injured is quite high. You have to weight up the pros and cons of a child having fun on the trampoline vs a child in a cast or boot with a broken or fractured leg/ankle etc. and being out of action for weeks on end. It may not be your child that has the accident, could be a neighbours kid or a classmate in the future.

yeah thats what im worried about... guess what im really looking for is other parents experiences with them....
    I fear they may not be worth the possible heartache!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

We waited till our youngest was 5 to get one, so they were 5 & 7 and have not had any accidents. We did drill it in to them to be careful and they are fairly calm kids. Didn't factor in number 3 arriving and she's been on it regularly since she was under one!! First to roll on, now at 18 months she bounces and runs on it. She loves it!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My worry would actually be other people's kids on it.
    We have a junior trampoline with a handle.Does for now.(just four yr old and a two year old).Have been on the bigger ones and two year old can't handle it when other kids are bouncing on them too she cant find her feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

3.5 is fine (our 2yo is on it all the time) but no matter what age they are, you have to supervise them *all the time*. All the things kids think are fun about trampolines are the very things you have to strict about forbidding. No more than one child at a time, no bouncing off the edges, no bouncing out of it, etc. Be prepared to tell neighbour kids that the trampoline is closed/unavailable, especially at birthday parties. The last thing you want is four kids on the trampoline at the same time and one or more of them going away in an ambulance.

Edit: Tie them down when it gets windy! Don't be one of these people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That's exactly what I think, but I throw mine out in the garden so I can get five mins of peace, so that would be way too much supervision required and totally defeat the purpose of it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Agree with the majority here. My 5 yr old keeps asking for one but we’re not going to give in. An A&E doctor told me a high percentage of injuries they see come about from two children of different weights and ages etc jumping at the same time. Biggest one jumps, trampoline goes down and as it rises back up meets the smaller kids leg as they land and can cause a break etc (I’m terrible at explaining the science of it sorry!). We have two kids, another on the way so there’s no way we’d manage to keep them all off it together so safest option is no trampoline in this house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I drilled into my eldest to close the zip before bouncing.
    It didn't stop my youngest getting into it first and bouncing out onto the yard head first before it got closed .
    Spent the afternoon in temple st.
    Had some worried medics when he fell asleep and wouldn't wake up. A quick phone call home and we realised he hadn't had his nap that day.

An hour later he was awake having toast and some juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you've space dig a hole in the garden and put the trampoline in so it's at ground level.

Know a few people that did this and it prevents a lot of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If you've space dig a hole in the garden and put the trampoline in so it's at ground level.

Know a few people that did this and it prevents a lot of injuries.

It doesn't prevent the most common injuries associated with trampolines.

OP.. .if you supervise them there'll be no issues. It's only if you don't that you'll run in to trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The safest thing is only allow one at a time. And as mentioned above make sure they close the zip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have never purchased or owned one, but listening to stories a person of any age has been injured as a result of using a trampoline.
    If you are asking whether it's a good idea or not, you've already thought that it may be a bad idea, and that should be enough to rule out getting one. You child's safety should be paramount, not a 50/50 chance of them being safe or not.

Advertisement