If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony 55" XF9005 with TV100RS code - still possible for ROI purchase?

Options
  • 16-07-2018 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

Is it possible to buy the 55" XF90 Sony in sterling and use the TV100RS code for it? 

The reason I ask is Currys.ie are currently offering the tv for €1699 with an additional €200 off as per link .

Powercity is doing the same with a 5 year warranty for €1499. link

Thanks guys! 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

FGR wrote: »
    Hi there!

Is it possible to buy the 55" XF90 Sony in sterling and use the TV100RS code for it? 

The reason I ask is Currys.ie are currently offering the tv for €1699 with an additional €200 off as per link .

Powercity is doing the same with a 5 year warranty for €1499. link

Thanks guys! 
    Hi FGR,

The KD55XF9005 is still available with the £100 off code. I could do this for £1289 and £6.99 shipping with a 6 year guarantee.

Let me know if you#d like to go ahead with that sterling price.

Kind regards

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Closov

Hi David,
    Could you do a price for the 49" XF90 please?

Closov wrote: »
    Hi David,
    Hi Closov.

We currently have a further £50 off this TV dropping it to £1049.00 including our 6 year guarantee.
    Delivery would again be £6.99

Hi David,
    Hi Closov.

We currently have a further £50 off this TV dropping it to £1049.00 including our 6 year guarantee.
    That's looks alright to me, how to go about ordering at that price?

Also, is the region set for NI / UK, rather than IE?

Hi David,
    Hi Closov.

Hey Closov.

The sets are UK spec but have no issues working in the South Of Ireland and will pick up Saorview stations with no problems.

If you want to go ahead drop me your contact number in a PM and we can give you a call.

• Advertisement

Hi David,
    Hi Closov.

Hey Closov.

The sets are UK spec but have no issues working in the South Of Ireland and will pick up Saorview stations with no problems.

If you want to go ahead drop me your contact number in a PM and we can give you a call.
    That's grand, I want the Freesat rather than the Saorview.

Can I ask a couple more questions you might know the answers to?
    Is there any difference for the EPGs on this model? (my current TV has small differences between to the two EPGs)
    and is the procedure for signal switching simple? (current TV is a PITH)

Hi David,
    Hi Closov.

Hey Closov.

Is there any difference for the EPGs on this model? (my current TV has small differences between to the two EPGs)
    Hi Closov.

I have not had one of these up and running so I haven't had a play with its EGP just yet.

I would say switching source or between sat and freeview tuner will be just like any other Sony and involve just pressing one or two buttons but again as we have yet to get one on display I haven't had the chance to familiarise myself with its menus.
    On the XE versions it was all very straight forward.

Hi David,
    Hi Closov.

Hey Closov.

Hi Closov.

I have not had one of these up and running so I haven't had a play with its EGP just yet.

I would say switching source or between sat and freeview tuner will be just like any other Sony and involve just pressing one or two buttons but again as we have yet to get one on display I haven't had the chance to familiarise myself with its menus.
    Thanks Kenny, I'm going to presume anything is better than 2012 Samsung! So I'll PM the phone number now...

Hi David,
    Hi Closov.

Hey Closov.

Hi Closov.

Thanks Kenny, I'm going to presume anything is better than 2012 Samsung! So I'll PM the phone number now...
    Hey Closov.

It will be much much much better :D

Hey Closov.

Do you know what Kenny? It's actually much worse. :-/

I've tried to get used to it, and I've tweaked and twiddled for three weeks, but the 2012 Samsung is way better. It had Freesat and i could set a series to record. This Sony only does now and next, I can't set a program to record. The TV doesn't have timeshift either.

Or am I wrong? Is there a way to get a working EPG and timeshift working?

• Advertisement

Hey Closov.

I've tried to get used to it, and I've tweaked and twiddled for three weeks, but the 2012 Samsung is way better. It had Freesat and i could set a series to record. This Sony only does now and next, I can't set a program to record. The TV doesn't have timeshift either.

Hi Closov,

I don't actually have a Sony on display to play with the EPG menus so i wouldn't be 100% sure.

Your best bet is to ring our Sony number and they should be able to tell you straight away:

0330 440 2060

Let me know how you get on!

Kind regards

David

Hey Closov.

Hi Closov,

I don't actually have a Sony on display to play with the EPG menus so i wouldn't be 100% sure.

Your best bet is to ring our Sony number and they should be able to tell you straight away:

0330 440 2060

Kind regards

David
    Hi David, that number's out of date. It should be 0207 3652810 now.

And after joining the merry-go-round of menus, options and disconnects and opening a customer support ticket, the answer is: No, it doesn't have Freesat or time-shift.

And no that I know what to Google for, this seems to be a known issue since 2015. I'm sorry, I have to say, this is a very disappointing after-sales experience.

Will you take back the TV? And can you replace with one that you know works like I originally asked and isn't a downgrade on a 2012 TV?

Hey Closov.

Hi Closov,

0330 440 2060

Kind regards

David

And after joining the merry-go-round of menus, options and disconnects and opening a customer support ticket, the answer is: No, it doesn't have Freesat or time-shift.

And no that I know what to Google for, this seems to be a known issue since 2015. I'm sorry, I have to say, this is a very disappointing after-sales experience.

Will you take back the TV? And can you replace with one that you know works like I originally asked and isn't a downgrade on a 2012 TV?
    Hi Closov,

I'm very sorry to hear you're not happy with the after-sales service. Our TVs are not individually connected to aerials so testing an EPG is not really possible in store.

I called Sony myself and confirmed that this model does have a Freesat Tuner and can be switched between Freeview and Freesat easily. I was told that you may have to disable the Youview App in order to tune the Freesat as the Youview app can override it.

Sony have also told me Time Shift is not a feature they offer. You can certainly record to USB but only what you are watching at that moment, to record a programme in advance you would need a Freesat box.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Hey Closov.

It will be much much much better :D

Hi Closov,

0330 440 2060

Kind regards

David

Hi Closov,

I'm very sorry to hear you're not happy with the after-sales service. Our TVs are not individually connected to aerials so testing an EPG is not really possible in store.

I called Sony myself and confirmed that this model does have a Freesat Tuner and can be switched between Freeview and Freesat easily. I was told that you may have to disable the Youview App in order to tune the Freesat as the Youview app can override it.

Sony have also told me Time Shift is not a feature they offer. You can certainly record to USB but only what you are watching at that moment, to record a programme in advance you would need a Freesat box.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David, it's the feeling of being fobbed off to the manufacturer and those no-help lines that's frustrating. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I never turned on Youview. And then I after all the Googling I even tried enabling it and disabling it again. Freesat is NOT available. Digital Channels, yes. Not Freesat, and no listings more than Now & Next. I promise you, I've been tweaking this thing non-stop for 2 weeks.

Your last comment isn't true. I could record a programme in advance on my 2012 Samsung! Let me know what you think! :D

edit: let's not let ourselves get dragged into the weeds David, I was specifically told this TV's EPG would be "much much much" better, and it's much much much worse. (And I DO have it connected to aerials, so I can see it very plainly)

Hey Closov.

Hi Closov,

0330 440 2060

Kind regards

David

Hi Closov,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David, it's the feeling of being fobbed off to the manufacturer and those no-help lines that's frustrating. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I never turned on Youview. And then I after all the Googling I even tried enabling it and disabling it again. Freesat is NOT available. Digital Channels, yes. Not Freesat, and no listings more than Now & Next. I promise you, I've been tweaking this thing non-stop for 2 weeks.

Your last comment isn't true. I could record a programme in advance on my 2012 Samsung! Let me know what you think! :D
    Hi Closov,

Sorry, I meant you'd need a Freesat box for this TV.

I hope you don't think I was trying to fob you off, we simply don't have the facility to test EPGs in store and it would be quicker to get the information direct from Sony.

I don't understand why you're not receiving Freesat as the TV definitely has a tuner. I was worried our website was incorrect but Sony have told me it's included and it's advertised as such. I know it will be a stupid question but I take it you've been in through the Advanced settings on the operating system and the feed is plugged into the correct tuner?

Kind regards

David

Can you show me where it's advertised as Freesat on the Sony website?
    I'm looking here now,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xf9005-series/specifications

and can't see it.

Hey Closov.

It will be much much much better :D

Hi Closov,

0330 440 2060

Kind regards

David

Hi Closov,

Kind regards

David

Hi Closov,

Sorry, I meant you'd need a Freesat box for this TV.

I hope you don't think I was trying to fob you off, we simply don't have the facility to test EPGs in store and it would be quicker to get the information direct from Sony.

I don't understand why you're not receiving Freesat as the TV definitely has a tuner. I was worried our website was incorrect but Sony have told me it's included and it's advertised as such. I know it will be a stupid question but I take it you've been in through the Advanced settings on the operating system and the feed is plugged into the correct tuner?

Kind regards

David
    Also, having a tuner doesn't mean it has Freesat... Freesat has to be licensed by Sony... this is the whole problem.

I can tune in all the channels. They're in really bad order but I spent ages arranging them. But the EPG listings only show Now & Next and I can't pre-set anything to record. As I keep saying... it's much much much worse than my old Samsung 2012. I know it's hard to believe, but when you realise it's true, it's painful and regretful! (I mean, I had a VCR + TV years ago, that could you tell it what programme you wanted to record!)

That's why I want you to take this TV back so I can get one with the basic capability I asked about. I really really don't want the hassle of going through a return, picking another TV, and all that frustration. I've been trying to avoid it for 3 weeks now. But the longer I use this TV the more the frustration grows.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Closov,

I think to be honest you are being a little unfair to us and to David in particular.

From what I can see you did not ask any specific recording questions so its really difficult to predict every facility a Customer may require in advance and I think the guys did try to answer your queries as best as possible and in a timely manner on Boards.

With regard to being 'fobbed off' - some manufacturers, including Sony,  offer us a dedicated Richer Sounds support line for our Customers and as these guys are the experts and should know all the detailed features of every TV then we often refer our Customers to them as a service.

If you would like to return the TV once it is in as new condition with all the accessories and packaging just pop it back to us and we will give you a full refund.

ATVB

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Closov,

I think to be honest you are being a little unfair to us and to David in particular.

From what I can see you did not ask any specific recording questions so its really difficult to predict every facility a Customer may require in advance and I think the guys did try to answer your queries as best as possible and in a timely manner on Boards.

With regard to being 'fobbed off' - some manufacturers, including Sony,  offer us a dedicated Richer Sounds support line for our Customers and as these guys are the experts and should know all the detailed features of every TV then we often refer our Customers to them as a service.

If you would like to return the TV once it is in as new condition with all the accessories and packaging just pop it back to us and we will give you a full refund.

ATVB

John Mc & Crew
    I'm sorry you think that John, I was trying to be as fair as possible :(

I think I did ask those questions clearly, and they were clearly answered, like one of the reps said it would be "much much much" better than my old 2012 Samsung... is that not clear?

Sorry, I really didn't want to come across as unfair, I just don't feel like I'm being believed, and I have try very hard to be believed?

I'd really prefer to get this sorted in cooperation with you, but if you don't want to deal with me any more, I understand. Will you arrange pickup please?

We are in no way refusing to deal with you - we are trying to be helpful.

If you can give us a list of the features you are looking for we will do our best to assist - but we cannot know every feature you may require and if you discover the TV we suggest does not have an individual feature you want in the future to be fair its not fair to expect us to take it back.

In the circumstances it may be best for you to do the research - again to be fair I understand you originally suggested the 9005 - but 'stuff' happens so if you can check out any model on our website and if it satisfies your requirements we will do our best to assist.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

We are in no way refusing to deal with you - we are trying to be helpful.

If you can give us a list of the features you are looking for we will do our best to assist - but we cannot know every feature you may require and if you discover the TV we suggest does not have an individual feature you want in the future to be fair its not fair to expect us to take it back.

In the circumstances it may be best for you to do the research - again to be fair I understand you originally suggested the 9005 - but 'stuff' happens so if you can check out any model on our website and if it satisfies your requirements we will do our best to assist.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John, totally agree that 'stuff' happens. To be honest it seems this problem is one you seem to find only after buying the set.
    Even the shop crew couldn't know about it since they don't have aerials connected to the TVs.

The feature that was unknown is an EPG with programme listings. Once the EPG has downloaded some listings, then you can set a recording.

So it would seem, after looking into this specific problem (now that I know exactly what to google for), is that you need a TV that is Freesat enabled or certified. Looking at your site, all the Sony TVs are listed as "Freeview" or "Youview", could this be what other reps were getting mixed up with?

John, I think it's unfair to say I should have researched this. I did my best, and I asked the questions before buying. It turned out to be a difficult question for us all to answer, I think. I think it's fair to expect you guys to have better knowledge of this than I do? But I was given mistaken information, and I did make a purchase on the basis of that.

The features I want are: HDR, 4K, prefer sub 50", Smart TV (Plex, Netflix capable anyway), and a 7 day EPG for satellite channels. I can see a Samsung, an LG and a Panasonic on your site that seem to fit the bill. But I can't tell if they have Freesat, they dont' seem to, but even the Samsung doesn't list any services like Freesat, Freeview or Youview. It really is the one thing that I can't really tell by looking at your site.

Closov,

There is no issue taking your TV back and changing it for another TV - however your request to record via EPG only came after you received your TV ( you can check your posts above) - to be fair possibly there was some confusion as you asked about the EPG on the 9005 but you only mentioned recording after you had received your TV - EPG is 'Electronic Programme Guide' and many TV's have a detailed EPG without allowing you to record or only have limited record options and again we did not press you to take an XF9005 - it was the model you initially posted looking for a price on.

The 9005 has 2 Satellite HD tuners and you can watch one channel and record another, you can record directly from the programme guide or you can set a channel timer recording if a programme guide is not available but it is not a Freesat HD licensed TV - it will give you a Saorview and Free-to-Air Satellite EPG however we cannot guarantee what information this will display as it can change depending on the individual broadcaster, region and signal quality.

In terms of licensed Freesat HD TV's under 50" that we stock - unfortunately the line-up is a little limited - you can check the Freesat.co.uk site here for a full listing of TV's available ( unfortunately we do not stock them all):
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/televisions/

We do stock the following TV's that have Saorview and Freesat HD around your chosen size:

Samsung UE49NU8000
    Samsung QE49Q6FN

We also stock the Panasonic TX50EX750

In terms of Apps, again these vary by region and whilst all the above support Netflix as standard and you CAN use Plex on them we do not guarantee that any apps will function in any region as these can be withdrawn by the manufacturer or App controller at any time and this is completely beyond our control.

In terms of Youview - this is not available in the ROI also Freesat HD is also only officially licensed for the UK - however you can use a UK postcode to allow it to operate - however please note that this may affect what apps or services you can access.

Again I do understand your situation, we are happy to help and we will do our best for you - if there is further information you require we will do our best to access that information either locally or via the manufacturer - but the best we can do is to either take the TV you selected back for a full refund or supply you with a TV that we stock that meets all your requirements and TBH you are the best person who can dictate which model that is and what features you require - albeit we are happy to do any research for you to assist.

Thanks again and hopefully we can resolve this for you,

ATVB,

John Mc

Closov,

There is no issue taking your TV back and changing it for another TV - however your request to record via EPG only came after you received your TV ( you can check your posts above) - to be fair possibly there was some confusion as you asked about the EPG on the 9005 but you only mentioned recording after you had received your TV - EPG is 'Electronic Programme Guide' and many TV's have a detailed EPG without allowing you to record or only have limited record options and again we did not press you to take an XF9005 - it was the model you initially posted looking for a price on.

The 9005 has 2 Satellite HD tuners and you can watch one channel and record another, you can record directly from the programme guide or you can set a channel timer recording if a programme guide is not available but it is not a Freesat HD licensed TV - it will give you a Saorview and Free-to-Air Satellite EPG however we cannot guarantee what information this will display as it can change depending on the individual broadcaster, region and signal quality.

In terms of licensed Freesat HD TV's under 50" that we stock - unfortunately the line-up is a little limited - you can check the Freesat.co.uk site here for a full listing of TV's available ( unfortunately we do not stock them all):
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/televisions/

We do stock the following TV's that have Saorview and Freesat HD around your chosen size:

Samsung UE49NU8000
    Samsung QE49Q6FN

We also stock the Panasonic TX50EX750

In terms of Apps, again these vary by region and whilst all the above support Netflix as standard and you CAN use Plex on them we do not guarantee that any apps will function in any region as these can be withdrawn by the manufacturer or App controller at any time and this is completely beyond our control.

In terms of Youview - this is not available in the ROI also Freesat HD is also only officially licensed for the UK - however you can use a UK postcode to allow it to operate - however please note that this may affect what apps or services you can access.

Again I do understand your situation, we are happy to help and we will do our best for you - if there is further information you require we will do our best to access that information either locally or via the manufacturer - but the best we can do is to either take the TV you selected back for a full refund or supply you with a TV that we stock that meets all your requirements and TBH you are the best person who can dictate which model that is and what features you require - albeit we are happy to do any research for you to assist.

Thanks again and hopefully we can resolve this for you,

ATVB,

John Mc
    Thanks for that John, I will look at those TVs now.

The EPG is the key issue, the recording is only a fringe benefit of a decent EPG, I only talk about it because it makes it really obvious how nonfunctional the EPG is. The problem is the EPG is really, really bad. And much much worse than the Samsung 2012... which gave me 7 days of listings, not just Now & Next.

All the other information I needed I researched fully, the EPG information I could not get reliably anywhere - that's why I directly asked the you guys - the retailer in the region that I wanted the specific service from. You can see that I said I wanted UK region - I do understand the issue, that's the reason why I wanted to buy from a UK retailer. I didn't know the ins-and-outs of it like I do now! It's only after having the on-screen message "No event information", that I knew what to Google for, and all was revealed. I don't think for one second that anyone there was trying to trick me! I know for sure you guys would have warned me if you had realised what the difference was.

You don't have the Panasonic TX49FX750B yet? I see it has Freesat, and I've read great things about the Panasonics. The EX looks a bit weak though as the TV is in a bright room.

Otherwise it'll probably have to be the one of the Samsungs. I was kinda hoping to get away from them though.

I suppose another option is just to buy a Freesat Box too because I do love the full backlight dimming on the Bravia, but I want to leave that as an absolute last resort. Anyway, I'll spend a couple more hours looking into those options tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Can you let me know the prices for those Samsungs (if there are any deals to be accounted for)? and the TX49FX750B if you can get it.

edit: the LG 49SK8100PLA seems to be Freesat too, although the Freesat site hasn't got it listed yet.

Well thank to a sleepless night i spent all night poring over every tiny detail of all those models and making comparisons. I finally settled on the almost perfect one. And when I started planning the next phase of packing up the Sony and setting up a new one, I just can't face it. It took me 2 days of hard labour to set up the Sony (I'm disabled and was on my own) and the thoughts of another day packing it up and another two days installing a new one makes me feel sick. I think I'll have to throw money at the problem and just buy a Freesat box. Pffffff

Anyway, if anyone is mad enough to read this thread in the future, I think the LG is the TV I should have gotten, the only possible deal breaker on it for some people is that i think it only has a single sat tuner (meaning you usually can't record one channel and watch another). Also, I didn't properly consider the Samsungs because i wanted to get away from them - I feel Samsung abandon their products quicker than everyone else.

John, don't bother checking the stock or prices for me, but if you have any good deals on Freesat boxes, please let me know.

No problem,

I'll do you a 25% discount off any Freesat box we have in stock in light of the issue.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

No problem,

I'll do you a 25% discount off any Freesat box we have in stock in light of the issue.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Wow, that's amazingly generous, thank you John!

No problem,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hey Closov.

You are very welcome.

Let us know if any catch your eye.

No problem,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hey Closov.

You are very welcome.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice? (which makes it easier for me)
    It seems only there's only 3 that do Freesat, and only 2 have built in PVR. And I'd have to go with the cheaper one.
    Humax HDR1100S 500GB

Not sure what Freeview Play is, but I'm guessing it's something region locked to a UK aerial or can I use a postcode?

What about Freetime, is that region locked too? (So many similar names!)

No problem,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hey Closov.

You are very welcome.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice? (which makes it easier for me)
    It seems only there's only 3 that do Freesat, and only 2 have built in PVR. And I'd have to go with the cheaper one.
    Humax HDR1100S 500GB

Not sure what Freeview Play is, but I'm guessing it's something region locked to a UK aerial or can I use a postcode?

What about Freetime, is that region locked too? (So many similar names!)
    If you are in the ROI I would advise you to assume that none of the online catch-up services will work in the ROI as Freesat is a UK based service and they use your IP address to Geo locate you..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

yeah, i thought as much, not a big deal for me anyway, I think once in the last 5 years I wanted to watch something on iPlayer

So can we go ahead with the box linked above then?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.