Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 147th Open Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Nowadays, nobody goes to Carnoustie to see fellas like Lyle or Clarke. They want to see Spieth, Johnson or McIlroy, or Molinari

The professionals are all contenders at the beginning, and along with the amateurs they are all learning their trade and, in most cases, hoping to become major champions at some stage.

Nonsense. Plenty of older people go to watch the older golfers play . not all the professionals are contenders at all.
    Why should amateurs take up places that real professionals could use?go learn your trade on web.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

McIlroy will shoot -7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With the final pairing teeing off at 2:45 pm,roughly when would people think they would complete their rounds?....thanks for replies.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Gonna be a great day of golf. Hope to be home from work by 3, with the feet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

With the final pairing teeing off at 2:45 pm,roughly when would people think they would complete their rounds?....thanks for replies.

Somewhere between 7 and 7:30 I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Of the two dozen or so out so far today, only four are under par. Cameron Davis leading the way at -3 after five. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Was that Harrington i saw on the range beside Mickelson?

The amateur; Sam Locke, is having a tidy round so far. +1 after 10 which leaves him three over for the championship. Nice to know you've won the silver medal before you tee off for the weekend, but he's definitely earned it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Is there any decent stream going about for this? Would appreciate if someone could forward it on in pm :)
    Hoping for a miracle from Fowler or if not hopefully Rory can do it, if his short game is anyway decent he could make up a lot of ground today but all evidence points the contrary so far.

Didnt see it mentioned here yet, but apparentally rounds were ~3:40 yesterday which was great to hear.

No excuse for 5+ rounds in dart board US courses if you can be under 4 around a links.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Didnt see it mentioned here yet, but apparentally rounds were ~3:40 yesterday which was great to hear.

No excuse for 5+ rounds in dart board US courses if you can be under 4 around a links.
    There was some talk of Spieth's group being put on the clock on Friday. Based mainly on how his pace of play markedly speeded up and a referee being seen talking to them. Need to do that on the PGA tour, it's becoming a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I did think they were moving fast alright, but that's good to hear. Wonder were they told beforehand to keep it moving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

backspin. wrote: »
    McIlroy will shoot -7

He might finish -7 for the tournament but he won’t shoot -7 today.

I wonder if you offered Speith a level par round would he take it......? Does -9 get it done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Wind is up...I think Rory is too far back

They’re all too far back, one of the -9s will win.

Russman wrote: »
    They’re all too far back, one of the -9s will win.
    I think the -6s have a chance, such a pity that Tiger and Rory dropped back to -5.

I think the -6s have a chance, such a pity that Tiger and Rory dropped back to -5.

I suppose to be fair, they do, but I think it Speith’s to lose, especially how he’s putting this week. I hope he doesn’t win though !

• Registered Users Posts: 34 howdido

I disagree, that's like saying Speith was too far back yesterday to be top of the leaderboard. Anything can happen, I think anyone -5 has a good chance!

I suppose to be fair, they do, but I think it Speith’s to lose, especially how he’s putting this week. I hope he doesn’t win though !

Not sure how spieth will survive a 30mph wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I'm sure the Texas lad will cope just fine with the wind.

• Advertisement

He hits it sideways anyway so it’ll hardly make any difference :D:D

Paul Lawrie mentioned it there on Sky, the rough just isn’t there this week to really scare the leaders. He reckoned they’re not coming back to the field.

He hits it sideways anyway so it’ll hardly make any difference :D:D

Paul Lawrie mentioned it there on Sky, the rough just isn’t there this week to really scare the leaders. He reckoned they’re not coming back to the field.
    Yeah. The bunkers and an occasional bad lie in the rrough are the only levellers. Oh, and the gorse. :D

There are holes that have big scores on them I wouldnt say its anyones to lose especially in a 3 way tie at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Wish Sky used analysts that actually won a major

liam7831 wrote: »
    Wish Sky used analysts that actually won a major
    Darren Clarke?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Darren Clarke?

No no, Paul Lawrie! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Still fancy Rose to be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

No no, Paul Lawrie! :pac:

Ah Lawrie and dazzler are alright it's the other chump

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Fleetwoods caddy is an actual giant.

Wind picking up nicely. Expect an excellent and dramatic final round

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

OK, when was the last time both British and US Opens were successfully defended?

Advertisement