Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 147th Open Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think Jason Day might be in the mix come the last 9 on Sunday. He’s had a return to form this year with two wins already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Is there a possibility that forecast rain could more benefit the early Friday starters who would surely relish the softer conditions? Then getting faster again once the rain stops and course begins to dry up. Dont think golfers have too much issue playing through light(ish) rain.

Unless its a deluge of biblical proportions the course wont be getting soft from any of the rain forecast.
    The weather, light wind and maybe a bit of drizzle will have no effect on start times unlike some of the past Opens where one half of the draw is taken out of the equation by the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Given the conditions this year where the big hitters won't have a great advantage, I wouldn't rule out one or more of the 'elder statesmen' to be in the running come Sunday. I'm thinking of some of the guys who have form on the senior tours like Langer or Goosen or maybe Couples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Given the conditions this year where the big hitters won't have a great advantage, I wouldn't rule out one or more of the 'elder statesmen' to be in the running come Sunday. I'm thinking of some of the guys who have form on the senior tours like Langer or Goosen or maybe Couples.

Couples is not in the field and hasn`t played in the Open for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Couples is not in the field and hasn`t played in the Open for years.

My bad. Didn't check.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can big hitters not play an easier iron shot though, even less risk of going off line to keep their advantage?

Iron, Pitch, Putt must be easier to maintain than Drive, Pitch, Putt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

Where is Sky's David Livingstone? Seemingly he is not hosting the Open preview show on Sky Sports today. While Sarah Stirk is a good presenter, I think that Livingstone is one of the top sports presenters of his profession. Although Livingstone has only done the Masters, Players Championship and US Open so far in 2018, I hope that we will see him come 6:30 am tomorrow morning. Anyone with any clarity on Livingstone and whether Sarah Stirk has got the presenters gig this week, will be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

So long as Henni is there I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Langer has good course record so I'd fancy him to make the cut at least.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I reckon its beyond time Paul Casey made a serious challenge for an Open title. Just outside T10 last year which was fair going considering a horrendous 77 on Day 2. Of course he's always liable to throw one wobbly in there, usually on the last day when he's 4 clear! Has the game to do it though, I think that is beyond question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I reckon its beyond time Paul Casey made a serious challenge for an Open title. Just outside T10 last year which was fair going considering a horrendous 77 on Day 2. Of course he's always liable to throw one wobbly in there, usually on the last day when he's 4 clear! Has the game to do it though, I think that is beyond question.

Looking at the final 4 holes in Carnoustie he would want to be 5 shots plus ahead heading into those on the Sunday to prevail with his record, if you do back him I would strongly encourage you to cash out on or around the 10th on Sunday if he is in contention!!

My own thoughts at this stage are;

Main Fancy - Rickie Fowler
    Early season bet - Tommy Fleetwood
    Too big to ignore - Rory McIlroy
    First Round Leader - Soren Kjeldsen
    Outsider - Matthew Southgate/ Kiradech Aphibarnrat
    Retirement Fund - Oliver Wilson

Good luck all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Looking at the final 4 holes in Carnoustie he would want to be 5 shots plus ahead heading into those on the Sunday to prevail with his record, if you do back him I would strongly encourage you to cash out on or around the 10th on Sunday if he is in contention!!

My own thoughts at this stage are;

Main Fancy - Rickie Fowler
    Early season bet - Tommy Fleetwood (backed at 40/1)
    Too big to ignore - Rory McIlroy
    First Round Leader - Soren Kjeldsen
    Outsider - Matthew Southgate/ Kiradech Aphibarnrat
    Retirement Fund - Oliver Wilson

Am also very tempted by the 11/4 on Woods to miss the cut and will decide closer to the time.

Good luck all.

Can everyone keep the gambling posts in here please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well I just can't help it

C'mon Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Tiger & Spieth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

and we're off

Leaderboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

Shane Lowry struggling on the greens yet again. A 3-putt bogey at the 5th puts him back to 2 over. 11 putts after 5 holes for the Offaly man. External help with the putting must be a priority for Shane if he wants to win or at the very least put a challenge in tournaments.

Paul Dunne is level after 6. I see that he has some kind of bandage in one of his wrists. Hopefully nothing too serious. Barring a poor tee shot at the first that costed him a shot, Dunne is hitting the ball quite well and hasn't missed a green since then.

Darren Clarke will tee off in the next 20 mins or thereabouts. While Rory McIlroy and Padraig Harrington will be among the later starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I hope it's not going to be another disaster for the Irish,not looking good for Shane Lowry so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well Lowry and Dunne are both +1 after approx half a round. Darren Clarke is +2 after 2.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Tyler Hatton

Jaysus 4 over through 9 for Hatton.

Good to see Willett back playing well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Van rooyen flying it - 5 through 15 the south Africans really love their links golf.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Super shot by Rahm on 3, had to wait for two greens to clear to go for the green and he hit a super drive to makeable eagle putt

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dunne is hanging in there on level par. Lowry not so much. +3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

something a bit lighthearted before the serious golf really kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭big_drive

Love to have an Irish player in contention this weekend, makes it so much more interesting

Is there any shot tracker I cant see one on the main site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Is there any shot tracker I cant see one on the main site

Might be one on the app. Main site will let you download it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Edna_Ennky wrote: »
    Where is Sky's David Livingstone? Seemingly he is not hosting the Open preview show on Sky Sports today. While Sarah Stirk is a good presenter, I think that Livingstone is one of the top sports presenters of his profession. Although Livingstone has only done the Masters, Players Championship and US Open so far in 2018, I hope that we will see him come 6:30 am tomorrow morning. Anyone with any clarity on Livingstone and whether Sarah Stirk has got the presenters gig this week, will be most welcome.

If you`re not aware of it by now, Livingstone and Stirk are both presenting the Sky Sports coverage along with Paul McGinley, Butch Harmon and David Howell doing analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A bomb on the first tee from Koepka. Probably has about 15ft left for eagle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Big Cat time!!!

Advertisement