Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 147th Open Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. Look at what Rose did today, or indeed Spieth. Guys going out earlier may have an advantage if the wind gets up later.

Not 100% on it but does seem that it will be picking up just as last pairings tee off so they might get the worst of it. If the likes of Rose or Scott got in with a 65, or even 66, I think they’d have a squeak anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not 100% on it but does seem that it will be picking up just as last pairings tee off so they might get the worst of it. If the likes of Rose or Scott got in with a 65, or even 66, I think they’d have a squeak anyway.
    It's shaping up to be one of the most iinterestng majors in a long time. So much quality in striking distance and a course that takes no prisoners but can provide opportunities. And take them away again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I guess the wind could make it interesting tomorrow, but a large part of me thinks it could done and dusted after about 9 holes and Speith wins fairly handily. He’s just so good at scrambling like mad and finding a way. He hits it sideways half the time, but when that putter is on he looks like he’s never going to miss.
    I suppose if someone was to post 9 under with a few hours to go it might shake things up a little, but I fear a procession if he gets to the turn say, 3 under for the round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's shaping up to be one of the most iinterestng majors in a long time. So much quality in striking distance and a course that takes no prisoners but can provide opportunities. And take them away again. :)

A sure sign that Kevin Kisner will win by about 6 or 7 shots.

Really hope Kisner,Chappel or Schaufelle don't win this thing.

Hopefully either Spieth wins (as he's a great player) or a non american winner , I really hate it when non great American players win it just doesn't create the same buzz.

I don’t mind who wins personally. I don’t think there are any fluke major winners, whoever wins it will have earned it. You’ll always get a Ben Curtis from time to time. Outside of the obvious like Woods or McIlroy, I think the most popular winner would be Molinari. He’s taken his good form into this week really well, but will his nerve and his putting hold up if or when he hits the front? If I don’t have some sort of bet on it I will be rooting for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I don’t mind who wins personally. I don’t think there are any fluke major winners, whoever wins it will have earned it. You’ll always get a Ben Curtis from time to time. Outside of the obvious like Woods or McIlroy, I think the most popular winner would be Molinari. He’s taken his good form into this week really well, but will his nerve and his putting hold up if or when he hits the front? If I don’t have some sort of bet on it I will be rooting for him.

I always hate it when a players who'd done really nothing of note turns up wins a major and disappears into obscurity again.I always like seeing players who've essentially served there time by winning a few big events beforehand or contending numerous times in a major.

When you get a Todd Hamilton,Shaun Micheel type winner it always make me feel bad for the genuine great players who never won one and when they never back it up and become a big time player it just because a nothing story in the future rather than the story of how a top player peaked.Individual sports in my opinion are about witnessing greatness and I always think it's better to have a clutch of high quality players battling it out competing for majors rather than randomness to who wins majors.

I always hate it when a players who'd done really nothing of note turns up wins a major and disappears into obscurity again.I always like seeing players who've essentially served there time by winning a few big events beforehand or contending numerous times in a major.

When you get a Todd Hamilton,Shaun Micheel type winner it always make me feel bad for the genuine great players who never won one and when they never back it up and become a big time player it just because a nothing story in the future rather than the story of how a top player peaked.Individual sports in my opinion are about witnessing greatness and I always think it's better to have a clutch of high quality players battling it out competing for majors rather than randomness to who wins majors.

I can see where you’re coming from alright. At the same time I wouldn’t begrudge those guys mentioned their moment in the sun and, well, golf is a long career so those greats who didn’t get over the line were obviously lacking in some way so let’s not be feeling too sad for Monty here ;-)

Also I think golf is like any sport where you want great champions but also the odd shock to make it interesting. Though maybe more Clarke or Els shock than Curtis or Hamilton. I still love that Y.E. Yang eclipsed Tiger in the 2009 PGA even though thousands were surely cursing him as the ultimate party pooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You'd have to feel for Fowler has all the ability in the world, arguably more talented than Speith but just doesn't have the grit needed on the big day. He should get there eventually but the longer it goes the tougher it will get.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rickie is a 2nd away in the PGA Championship from a career 2nd place gram slam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    You'd have to feel for Fowler has all the ability in the world, arguably more talented than Speith but just doesn't have the grit needed on the big day. He should get there eventually but the longer it goes the tougher it will get.

Aint gonna happen anytime soon, life's gonna get in the way. 2019 is a write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Thankfully we have now finally seen the end of Sandy Lyle at this competition, 30 odd years after he won it.

In fairness to Sandy, he did pretty well this time and wasn't too far off the cut, but it's been well past the time for him to go for many years. He had his glory, but he's been taking up a place of a possible contender for many years now.

They really need to change the rules about past champions competing. 15 years max, in my opinion, unless they're somebody with an outstanding record in the competition, like Tom Watson.

I mean, we may still have to face another 15 years or so of Darren Clarke (something like 18 over this week) turning up. A quiet word in his ear would be appropriate, you'd hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thankfully we have now finally seen the end of Sandy Lyle at this competition, 30 odd years after he won it.

In fairness to Sandy, he did pretty well this time and wasn't too far off the cut, but it's been well past the time for him to go for many years. He had his glory, but he's been taking up a place of a possible contender for many years now.

They really need to change the rules about past champions competing. 15 years max, in my opinion, unless they're somebody with an outstanding record in the competition, like Tom Watson.

I mean, we may still have to face another 15 years or so of Darren Clarke (something like 18 over this week) turning up. A quiet word in his ear would be appropriate, you'd hope.

Dead right.
    In fact we should kill them all off as soon as we (well you really) determine that they are no longer any use to us (again, you)

The majority of the field arent contenders, I assume you'd do away with the Amateurs also btw?

Maybe just invite the top 10 lads over, could have the whole thing wrapped up in a couple of days, no need for all the fuss and tents...sure the spectators only get in the way really.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

You really know nothing about how they qualify to play in this, you'd be aswell off going away and doing a bit of research before mouthing nonsense like you are

GreeBo wrote: »
    Dead right.
    In fact we should kill them all off as soon as we (well you really) determine that they are no longer any use to us (again, you)

What?

I think you misunderstand me. People like Sandy Lyle are still wonderful, valuable people to have on this earth, for what they have done and what they may do in the future.
    The majority of the field arent contenders, I assume you'd do away with the Amateurs also btw?

The professionals are all contenders at the beginning, and along with the amateurs they are all learning their trade and, in most cases, hoping to become major champions at some stage.
    Maybe just invite the top 10 lads over, could have the whole thing wrapped up in a couple of days, no need for all the fuss and tents...sure the spectators only get in the way really.

That would be stupid. There have been many times when someone outside the top ten has won a major. More opportunities for that would be possible if the places in the majors were more available to upcoming players.

You really know nothing about how they qualify to play in this, you'd be aswell off going away and doing a bit of research before mouthing nonsense like you are

I understand how it works.

Sandy qualified for this competition on the basis of having won the Open back in 1985.

33 years ago.

Where is the nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,165 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If I could trust Molinaris nerve I'd take him to continue his very good form, his iron play has been great but I think his putting could come off the rails when the pressure is on tomorrow.

The guys on 5 under have a shot but given the conditions it wouldn't appear likely. I don't mind Spieth, wouldn't mind seeing him come away with the jug. Obviously for the drama the thing I would like to see most is a Tiger charge and somehow get to 11 under and for it to be enough.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I hope they'll work something out with this. With the US university system developing lots of good players, and the European tour and other tours also bringing on other people who can challenge for a major, there's no need to have the old stagers around.

When guys like Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Nicklaus and Trevino were around, they were a big draw, because the game was new and they could draw in the crowds. There was no university system, or other tours, producing new talent.

Nowadays, nobody goes to Carnoustie to see fellas like Lyle or Clarke. They want to see Spieth, Johnson or McIlroy, or Molinari.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If sandy had elected not to play his place would not have gone to someone else.

I'm sure we'll see you back in the golf forum for the Masters 2019 thread spouting the same rubbish about dear old Sandy

So Speith the most likely winner but if someone is to come out of the pack who do you think it’ll be ?

I think Noren might post a good score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

So Speith the most likely winner but if someone is to come out of the pack who do you think it’ll be ?

I really can't see past Spieth. Just too bloody good in these situations!

Will be very interesting to see how Kisner gets on today. In fairness to him he has been rock solid throughout. His calmness when under pressure impressed me.

Not expecting Tiger or Rory to go low today. I don't see either of them being ready to win another major, yet.

Justin Rose or Zach Johnson to come second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

20kmh winds in the morning and rising to 30kmh in the afternoon when the leaders tee off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Speith has all the mental attributes necessary. He has proved it before and he won't choke when the pressure increases.
    However, I wouldn't rule out Molinari. He's a man in form and his accuracy could be his major asset if the wind gets up.

Rikand wrote: »
    If sandy had elected not to play his place would not have gone to someone else.

Incorrect. If Sandy had elected not to play his place would have gone to the next person on the current official world golf ranking. There are a fixed 156 places in the field and this is how they make up the numbers when former champions like Ben Curtis have the decency to stay away now that they are no longer competitive.
    Rikand wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll see you back in the golf forum for the Masters 2019 thread spouting the same rubbish about dear old Sandy

That's an invitation event, so he's not necessarily taking up a space which might usefully be used by some up-and-coming player, as he has been at the Open for many years.

Sandy Lyle or any other past Open champion is denying nobody a chance to win the claret jug. Everybody has the chance to qualify and can earn a place if they are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Sandy Lyle or any other past Open champion is denying nobody a chance to win the claret jug. Everybody has the chance to qualify and can earn a place if they are good enough.

Indeed, and 'dear' old Sandy didn't rule out trying to qualify next year himself should he not win the Senior Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭munster87

My favorite moment of this year’s Open so far was Sandy Lyle’s putt on 18!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

munster87 wrote: »
    My favorite moment of this year’s Open so far was Sandy Lyle’s putt on 18!

Ah he's well past it, Sandy if your reading this get off the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I know having analysis is great of leaders, but wish they'd show the odd few shots of players on the course now

And then they show Dunne immediately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Barnaboy wrote: »
    I really can't see past Spieth. Just too bloody good in these situations!

Will be very interesting to see how Kisner gets on today. In fairness to him he has been rock solid throughout. His calmness when under pressure impressed me.

Not expecting Tiger or Rory to go low today. I don't see either of them being ready to win another major, yet.

Justin Rose or Zach Johnson to come second.

I agree Spieth had already taken a lot if pressure off himself by throwing the media into a frenzy about his haircut.
    Molinari and Woods are the only other 2 that could produce and extra gear when the chips are down.

Advertisement