Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Separation Anxiety

Options
  • 16-07-2018 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Looking for any help with this. My dog (4yr Old Jack Russell) has anxiety issues. Until fairly recently he has been with minder family all day while I was at work. Recent changes in circumstances mean this is no longer possible. I have a person who comes in to look after him during the daytime but, apparently, he cries and yaps a lot at the times he is on his own. Is there help out there for his sake as I hate to see him trembling and upset when I am leaving but also for my sake so that I can get out without him :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

KevDub2 wrote: »
    Looking for any help with this. My dog (4yr Old Jack Russell) has anxiety issues. Until fairly recently he has been with minder family all day while I was at work. Recent changes in circumstances mean this is no longer possible. I have a person who comes in to look after him during the daytime but, apparently, he cries and yaps a lot at the times he is on his own. Is there help out there for his sake as I hate to see him trembling and upset when I am leaving but also for my sake so that I can get out without him :)

We have the same issue with our rescue except that ours won’t even eat if one of us isn’t there so we are back to square one. It’s really horrible to see the trembling, refusal to eat and then the guilt.

I think maybe that you might need to book in with a recommended behaviourist to start a programme of confidence building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KevDub2

I think you might be right, I will have to look for recommendations for a behaviourist too :). He usually doesn't eat much during the day anyway but he now tends to wait until I get home and then goes to his dish for some food (a sure sign that he is only reassured when I am there). Have you come across anybody you would recommend??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

KevDub2 wrote: »
    I think you might be right, I will have to look for recommendations for a behaviourist too :). He usually doesn't eat much during the day anyway but he now tends to wait until I get home and then goes to his dish for some food (a sure sign that he is only reassured when I am there). Have you come across anybody you would recommend??

I know a lot of people here recommended Emmaline Duffy-Fallon and I’ve heard nothing but really positive reviews. I’ve not used her myself, simply because of location.

We use AniEd in Glasnevin and have found them to be fantastic for our particular situation. Mr C has other issues along with SA.

Advertisement