Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballina - area by Ferran terrace/St Joseph's hospital?

• 16-07-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭

I got a remote job recently, and my wife and I have been looking at leaving Dublin for somewhere more pleasant (and hopefully much less expensive) around the country. I'm looking at a house for sale near St Joseph's hospital soon, can anyone say what the area is like? Would you walk around it at night?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but no, I wouldn't. It's fairly close to a few areas I would definitely refer to as undesirable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Hmm, thanks. Sorry to hear that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

CalRobert wrote: »
    I got a remote job recently, and my wife and I have been looking at leaving Dublin for somewhere more pleasant (and hopefully much less expensive) around the country. I'm looking at a house for sale near St Joseph's hospital soon, can anyone say what the area is like? Would you walk around it at night?

You will certainly got somewhere less expensive but you'll also generally get what you pay for too.

PARlance wrote: »
    You will certainly got somewhere less expensive but you'll also generally get what you pay for too.

True, but I'm ok with some tradeoffs. I live on a street with loads of people selling drugs all the time, car windows getting smashed, and loud drunks at the moment, so I'm not necessarily looking for suburban bliss. Mostly "will I be murdered" or "can I walk to the shop without being accosted", etc.

Unsurprisingly the biggest appeal is that it looks like you can buy places within walking distance of the town centre for only a bit more than I spend on a years' rent at the moment.

True, but I'm ok with some tradeoffs. I live on a street with loads of people selling drugs all the time, car windows getting smashed, and loud drunks at the moment, so I'm not necessarily looking for suburban bliss. Mostly "will I be murdered" or "can I walk to the shop without being accosted", etc.

Unsurprisingly the biggest appeal is that it looks like you can buy places within walking distance of the town centre for only a bit more than I spend on a years' rent at the moment.

I can't give any guarantees, but you probably won't get murdered... on the plus, there's a hospital near by.

Your OP states that you're looking for a better place to live (and less expensive). However, your priority seems to be the less expensive bit. It's certainly worth a viewing if that's the case.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    I can't give any guarantees, but you probably won't get murdered... on the plus, there's a hospital near by.

Your OP states that you're looking for a better place to live (and less expensive). However, your priority seems to be the less expensive bit. It's certainly worth a viewing if that's the case.

Fair enough, I did say that. I guess I should've been a little bit more detailed. I did a bit of reading about Ballina and got to like the idea (I'm going on a fishing trip in a month and having salmon fishing nearby sounds amazing, among other things) Regardless I really do appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Fair enough, I did say that. I guess I should've been a little bit more detailed. I did a bit of reading about Ballina and got to like the idea (I'm going on a fishing trip in a month and having salmon fishing nearby sounds amazing, among other things) Regardless I really do appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Would you considering renting for a year to see if you like the town / familiarise yourself with the area? It would be my advice.

It certainly doesn't seem that you'll be leaving much behind in Dublin anyway. My wife and I moved to Castlebar from Dublin just over 2 years ago with our 2 kids. I'm from the area originally but it has been a great move for us and especially the kids. My wife worked in Ballina for the first year, she wasn't gone on the town tbh but neither was she with the job, so that probably weighed on her views. Ballina people may jump on me, but I do think Castlebar has a little bit more going for it.

If you're paying considerable rent in Dublin, then my advice would be to get a nice house in Ballina town. It'll be at least half of what you're paying, maybe even a third... I think you can realistically look for less expense while having a very good standard of living without much fuss.

If you want any advice on areas in Castlebar then I would be happy to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

The area around the hospital would be a no go area for most people at night (and most of the day). You can get a new 4 bed semi in Ballina for less than €100k - might be a builders finish, but a decent house for not a lot of money (relatively speaking), left over from the boom. Ballina is small enough that anywhere is walkable/cycleable to the hospital, but bear in mind the Ballina postal area extends about 40 miles to the west.
    4 bed semi in a nice area, in town, would be up to €800 per month

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Will look closer to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Ballina is a great place / area to live in, and right now the river is hoaching with salmon - right in the middle of town, quite a spectacle for the tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I moved from Galway to Castlebar about 2 years ago for a job and I have to say after a bit of a culture shock at first, I have really grown to like the town a lot for its relatively easy going way of life compared to the cities I had lived in until then. We're hoping to start saving for a deposit on a house sometime soon, something we could never afford to do when renting in Galway.

My wife is from Ballina so I've spent a huge chunk of my life there and am very familiar with it. Castlebar is a bit more functional and better for shopping / jobs etc but I have to hold my hands up and say that Ballina is a much prettier town IMO.

Advertisement