Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duncan Jones to direct Rogue Trooper.

Options
  • 16-07-2018 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭

announced it on twitter.

no details yet but TBH i dont care how long it takes , this is one ive been wanting for AGES. the only hesitation i'd have is to whether or not it'd make a better fit as a netflix tv show as "the traitor general" arc is pretty much its best one leaving movie sequels open to being a bit naff if its all resloved in the first one.

Linky below for more details and the twitter vid.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/duncan-jones-teases-rogue-trooper-movie-1127099

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Quite embarrassing to admit, the only Rogue Trooper I've read is from the release of the classic 2000AD.

This one...

80624aB.jpg

One of those stories that's stayed with me.

Would love to see this storyline adapted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

As much as I think the original Rogue Trooper story was the better of the two versions, the Friday version would suit and be more manageable a shoot as a movie. The amount of plot that would need to be cut out of Rogue's hunt for the Traitor General to fit a movie-sized tale would be fairly drastic unlike the story of Friday, which could be done pretty well on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

2000 AD released s free ecomic to coincide with the announcment:

https://mobile.twitter.com/2000AD/status/1018917857432924161

http://content.2000ad.com/roguetrooperprimer.pdf

Hopefully its good (and succesful) and then ee can get a Stontium Dog movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

The Rogue Trooper movie is still in the works. It'll be animated based on performance capture using Unreal Engine 5, and principal photography has been completed.

Hopefully we'll soon see a similar update on the Mega City 1 TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm curious you see how this will look. Talk of using the unreal engine just makes me think it'll be like a video game cut scene, but maybe I'm not giving it enough credit? Also crazy to think that this won't be out till next year and Jones hasn't directed a film since 2018s Mute (which I've avoided watching so far).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Funny, I was just thinking of this the other day. While there certainly were issues with "Warcraft", there was no denying the creature effects were fantastic (Certainly for the time). Fully emotive and sympathetic.

Will be interesting to see

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know next to nothing about the Rogue Trooper series, other than that I've heard of it and it's part of the 2000AD pantheon of yore. Duncan Jones' career kinda hit the rocks a little post Warcraft and the rather dreadful Mute.]

IIRC Unreal was used for the CGI backdrops in Mandalorian and the like, so it is being used in Hollywood if I'm right; the engine is quite insane these days so could well see how a production on a budget would use it and get good results. But it all depends on the aesthetics for me: if it goes for photorealistic through and through I'll be jaded from the off; but if they're gonna go for something a bit more interesting, then I'll look up.

Advertisement