Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display team visitors at Baldonnel.

Options
  • 16-07-2018 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Work at city west. This afternoon short fly past by four aircraft with smoke etc . Didn't sound like the pc9s ... we see them all the time ... also they looked like they were red and the undercarriage looked fixed ... it was in the distance . Any ideas ? Or was it just the pc9 practising for bray ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Work at city west. This afternoon short fly past by four aircraft with smoke etc . Didn't sound like the pc9s ... we see them all the time ... also they looked like they were red and the undercarriage looked fixed ... it was in the distance . Any ideas ? Or was it just the pc9 practising for bray ?

Sounds like the Royal Jordanian Falcons. I saw A photo of them on Facebook. A bit early for Bray? I did hear some activity earlier, so that explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Trebor176 wrote:
    Sounds like the Royal Jordanian Falcons. I saw A photo of them on Facebook. A bit early for Bray? I did hear some activity earlier, so that explains it.

Could have been them ... right sound and silhouette. Very early for bray maybe they are over for a bit of craic first...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They were at RIAT over the weekend, and they've got nothing else on the program until Bray, so maybe they thought they'd just come straight over and have a bit of craic as Davidth88 suggested!

Alun wrote:
    They were at RIAT over the weekend, and they've got nothing else on the program until Bray, so maybe they thought they'd just come straight over and have a bit of craic as Davidth88 suggested!

Indeed I just checked their schedule and came to the same conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

They flew over my house in Clondalkin in formation a few moments ago. They seemed to go around again individually. Maybe they are doing a short display. Some noise from them.

• Advertisement

Indeed they were up at around midday for a bit of a practice . As you say they are pretty noisy.

I imagine next week will be fun and the Viggan wil drop in along with the Magisters.
    Last year the Strikemaster/JP went to Weston of course the Red Arrows will pop over but won't be stopping .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone know what or when is due into baldonnel next week? Arrows stead over last time they were here, although their schedule has them in the UK on the 28th but no flying from the 30th so wonder if they'll head back to baldonnel for the night.

Fougas gave a bit of a display along with the pc9s post bray last year, really hoped the viggen would too but it just seems to go straight out and back, never forget the noise of it over baldonnel in the days of the air spectacular

I would be staggered if the red arrows stopped here considering RAF Valley is only 40 miles away .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I would be staggered if the red arrows stopped here considering RAF Valley is only 40 miles away .

They staged out of Baldonnel in 2016. The flew along the Liffey on the Friday I think then had 2 nights in Baldonnel.
    End of show on Sunday they transited over Bray enroute to UK after having fueled up after their display. (And picked up backseaters)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Red Arrows displayed six times at Salthill and once during the Volvo Ocean race, they stayed each time that they came.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Trebor176 wrote: »

You are correct, seen their van there today

Tenger wrote:
    They staged out of Baldonnel in 2016. The flew along the Liffey on the Friday I think then had 2 nights in Baldonnel. End of show on Sunday they transited over Bray enroute to UK after having fueled up after their display. (And picked up backseaters)

I stand corrected..... then again waking valley up for a weeekend might not be that easy .... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The arrows are NOT staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

The arrows are NOT staying.

Incorrect. They will. Along with a few others.

Negative_G wrote: »
    Incorrect. They will. Along with a few others.

Incorrect. They are not.

Incorrect. They are not.

Okay.

I'm not getting into a back and forth with you. For anyone that is interested, they are staying overnight at EIME and will launch from there, arriving on Saturday and departing on Sunday.

The French fouga team and a few other civilian display aircraft will be there also.

From the horses mouth.

Okay.

I'm not getting into a back and forth with you. For anyone that is interested, they are staying overnight at EIME and will launch from there, arriving on Saturday and departing on Sunday.

The French fouga team and a few other civilian display aircraft will be there also.

From the horses mouth.

Funny that, cos my horse has been telling me that they are coming across, displaying and going home.

I guess we’ll find out this weekend which horse needs to be made into glue

Can we knock it off with the oneupmanship please?
    Obviously 1 source has got it wrong, not the end of the world. As long as they get the weather for a full display most ppl will be happy.

Personally (based on previous events) I think they will overnight. But I’m not part of their logistics team or on talking terms with ppl in EIME. So it’s just my own guess.

My own source at the airport has told me that the DC-3 in shamrock livery will be overflying Dublin on Thursday. She doesn’t know where it will be based though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For anyone that is interested, they are staying overnight at EIME and will launch from there, arriving on Saturday and departing on Sunday.
    Any chance you have or will have arrival time info? It was about 7.45pm last time. I'm hoping to be on the top of Shielmartin Hill to get a full view of them coming in from LAPMO to Dublin Port entrance. I didn't get it right last time so only got them over the Bay with zero time for photo.

Tenger wrote: »
    Can we knock it off with the oneupmanship please?
    Obviously 1 source has got it wrong, not the end of the world. As long as they get the weather for a full display most ppl will be happy.

All I am giving is the correct information. There is a ground support team coming in for the Red Arrows on Saturday night. Unless the organisers, the IAA, Dublin ATC and the Air Corps have all managed to get it completely wrong, thats what is happening.

Reds, Viggen, Fougas and one or two more will all be there. Like 2016, rwy 23 will close to facilitate parking.
    tricky D wrote: »
    Any chance you have or will have arrival time info? It was about 7.45pm last time. I'm hoping to be on the top of Shielmartin Hill to get a full view of them coming in from LAPMO to Dublin Port entrance. I didn't get it right last time so only got them over the Bay with zero time for photo.

I don't have a timing for their arrival yet but when I do I'll let you know. I'm not sure if there is any specific arrival planned over the city as the one in 2016 was planned for maximum exposure of the Air Show. May not happen like that this year.

• Advertisement

Didnt intend to rap either of ye on the knuckles.
    Just acknowledging that sonetimes we get incorrect info from usually good sources.

Knowing about the ground team definitely seems to confirm an overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Would you be able to pull up around casement so the kids (and me) can see the jets landing or would you be ran by security?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

roadmaster wrote: »
    Would you be able to pull up around casement so the kids (and me) can see the jets landing or would you be ran by security?

2 years ago, we went to the back of Casement near the Industrial Estate off the N7 and watched them landing. There was about 100 people there all waiting for them to land. We walked through a field and got right up to the main fences around Casement.

It was great to see, unfortunately we're not around next weekend!

Bear in mind you are walking across someone’s property(field) and livelihood(crop) if you do, it is not public property. Be polite and leave no trace and do not damage the crop or fencing and you will be fine. If the farmer asks you to leave then leave. I know a farmer around there and he is really nice and won’t mind but would if you were being disrespectful and were damaging his crop. I imagine the same could be said for other farmers. Last year those fields had near full grown crops in them so it is likely there will be again. Walk around the edges or along the tracks only.

Just to follow up on earlier discussion.
    I have been given info via PM from a boards.ie member confirming that the Reds will overnight in Baldonnel before the display in Bray.
    This info is of a diplomatic nature thus shall not be shared publically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Tenger wrote: »
    Just to follow up on earlier discussion.
    I have been given info via PM from a boards.ie member confirming that the Reds will overnight in Baldonnel before the display in Bray.
    This info is of a diplomatic nature thus shall not be shared publically.

And you are saying this on a PUBLIC FORUM! :confused:

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    And you are saying this on a PUBLIC FORUM! :confused:
    In the past posters have shared info via PM with moderators here. In this matter is merely a civil service communique. This info isnt 'Top Secret' or of a national security nature.
    The source and content of this info is thus concealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

I reckon the Viggen will arrive into Baldonnel this Friday as it's to Display at Foynes and Bray on the Saturday afternoon, both shows start at 2pm, the Fougas didn't visit Baldonnel last year but did in 2016, also the Strikemaster will probably go to Weston, the red arrows will probably land at Baldonnel on Saturday evening anytime after 7pm as there displaying in the UK in the late afternoon, they will probably stay overnight and do the Bray show on Sunday and may return to Baldonnel as they have no further displays for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Rock Solid wrote: »
    I reckon the Viggen will arrive into Baldonnel this Friday as it's to Display at Foynes and Bray on the Saturday afternoon, both shows start at 2pm, the Fougas didn't visit Baldonnel last year but did in 2016, also the Strikemaster will probably go to Weston, the red arrows will probably land at Baldonnel on Saturday evening anytime after 7pm as there displaying in the UK in the late afternoon, they will probably stay overnight and do the Bray show on Sunday and may return to Baldonnel as they have no further displays for a few days.
    The Strikemaster is not listed for Weston https://www.facebook.com/1706564219368003/posts/2029486707075751/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Got sent this from probably there greatest fan.

Advertisement