Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display team visitors at Baldonnel.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

emo72 wrote: »
    What time would I expect The red arrows at baldonnel at?
    Posted time is 1959 tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Tenger wrote: »
    Posted time is 1959 tomorrow evening.

Thats a VERY specific time

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

At a wedding in Lucan and the Catalina took off from weston around 6pm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Indeed. I think it was timetabled as departure from Newcastle at 1910. Not sure how they arrived at 1959 as ETA. But flightplans are always very specific. Military moreso I woukd guess.
    Entire schedule was posted up 3 pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME are saying its going to be blustery on Sunday on the East Coast, wondering at what wind strength would it take to stop the Red Arrows display,, read somewhere their is a limit for them as flying just feet apart is dangerous in strong wind.

• Advertisement

Strip away the layman’s layers in aviation and you find it is very specific. If you look at the arrivals page of Heathrow on FR24. All aircraft are listed to land at 0-5-10-15-20 etc etc. But the actual schedule is more likely to be 0-1-2-4-5-7 etc etc. For lay people times are rounded up or down.

In this case we are talking about the Military and more precisely the Red Arrows, who will be very specific about times. Their route is planned precisely based on a set departure time, route, altitude and speed. Bear in mind that they will be flying low enough sub 3000ft and not being controlled by ATC. So they publish this info so VFR Pilots out for a tootle know that the Red Arrows 10 fast jets in formation or split in two will be zipping passed them on this route at these times.

It’s just the way they are trained from day one. Now whether they arrive exactly at time is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Storm 10 wrote: »
    read somewhere their is a limit for them as flying just feet apart is dangerous in strong wind.

Perhaps, but if they're all being blown sideways by the same wind...

If they were flying in say a diamond formation, flat and level, then some a/c would be more shielded from the wind than others. But they don't fly flat and level for long, and for all we know the formation that appears level from a distance actually has a/c offset a few feet vertically from each other.

Also if they are displaying at a high subsonic speed then the relative effect of any sidewind compared to their forward motion must be small, no?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Perhaps, but if they're all being blown sideways by the same wind...

If they were flying in say a diamond formation, flat and level, then some a/c would be more shielded from the wind than others. But they don't fly flat and level for long, and for all we know the formation that appears level from a distance actually has a/c offset a few feet vertically from each other.

Also if they are displaying at a high subsonic speed then the relative effect of any sidewind compared to their forward motion must be small, no?

That’s assuming all aircraft are being hit by the exact same wind and the exact same time. Watch some onboard videos and you will see the aircraft bobbing up and down and in and out constantly. Now throw in a rough turbulent wind blowing from the Wicklow mountains and that will make it far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ME are saying its going to be blustery on Sunday on the East Coast, wondering at what wind strength would it take to stop the Red Arrows display,, read somewhere their is a limit for them as flying just feet apart is dangerous in strong wind.

The one I'm looking it forecasts a westerly wind, about 11 - 13 Kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Skyknight wrote: »
    The one I'm looking it forecasts a westerly wind, about 11 - 13 Kts.

Look at ME sea area forecast for Sunday ,strong to gale force winds for the South and East Coasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Op's channel now airshow mode for today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

Mech1 wrote: »
    Op's channel now airshow mode for today and tomorrow.

What's the Frequency? Did viggen do a display on arrival yesterday, anyone know what time ifs due at Foynes and Bray today as may go to Bal later ir rain stops !

Mixture of freq at the moment I will drop some unneeded as things get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Something took off just now loud

Something took off just now loud

Viggen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Loud roar just now in Clondalkin. The Viggen must have just taken off.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Loud roar just now in Clondalkin. The Viggen must have just taken off.

No it was two Strikemasters on way to Foynes runway 29

My ops feed is covering bal and Weston

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Red Arrows due in Baldonnel at 8 o'clock ish this evening.

Fly past up the River Liffey about 7:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Red Arrows due in Baldonnel at 8 o'clock ish this evening.

Fly past up the River Liffey about 7:30

Leaving Newcastle at 19.25

Due Bal at 19.59

So should be at the Liffey at about 19.50 - 19.55

...unless the plan changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Now just to be really awkward and demanding, I'll be in chapelizod having a few pints, does anyone know if they will stick with the Liffey that far upstream? Remember lads I've seen nothing at all this week. And I'm in work today and tomorrow so have no chance of seeing anything. Help me out lads.

Looks like viggen on way back from foynes to bal.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Hager

Mech1 wrote: »
    Looks like viggen on way back from foynes to bal.
    Just passed over me in Laois. Saw it disappearing into the distance, wasn't quick enough to get outside for a good view.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just landing in Bal now, caught a glimpse of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Got a good look at her going over the devils bit in tipperary , I was standing beside me tractor at the time with the engine tickin' over, frightened the bejaysus outta me i thought me tractor was blowin' up.

tricky D wrote: »
    Leaving Newcastle at 19.25

Due Bal at 19.59

So should be at the Liffey at about 19.50 - 19.55

...unless the plan changes.

Eh it’ll be up the Liffey at either 57 or 58. They’ll be doing about 300kts. Last time it was Howth-Chimneys-Bal.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Mech1 wrote:
    My ops feed is covering bal and Weston

Any links to it?
    The link in the other thread won't work for me.

Any links to it?
    The link in the other thread won't work for me.

Search for liveatc
    Then eidw
    Then ops channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Eh it’ll be up the Liffey at either 57 or 58. They’ll be doing about 300kts. Last time it was Howth-Chimneys-Bal.
    Where is that on their range of flying speed (say, compared to fastest bits of their display routine)? (Yes, I'm an aviation ignoramus :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Mech1 wrote:
    Search for liveatc Then eidw Then ops channel.

Got it thanks

Advertisement