Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Apartment - Not Vacant Posession - Rent a Room

Options
  • 16-07-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice. Im interested in a property which is going up for auction soon.

Ive read through some threads on here about the pitfalls of buying without vacant possession. I fully understand the reasons not to go through with it.

However, the property in question, the solicitors (receivers) have shown me a lease which shows the tenant as renting a room. Its an 8 year lease agreement, for 250 euro per month. Its just for a room in the property nothing more.

No rent is been received by any party. The lease stipulates break clauses like non maintenance, non payment of rent etc etc.

On the face of it, it seems like the tenant in situ may just want a few bob to leave. Or be staying as long as possible.

Really my question is, what rights are afforded to a tenant who is renting a room with a lease. Can I evict him immediately for non payment, or if any damage is done to the property (as per the lease). Already there is signs of damage from what I can see.

any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

VC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Move in.

Not a tenant anymore. Now a licensee.

Problem solved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Buying with cash? If not a bank won’t give you a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

endacl wrote: »
    Move in.

Problem solved.

So if I live there, his lease agreement is void? It specifically says lease agreement. no mention of licensee etc.

godtabh wrote: »
    Buying with cash? If not a bank won’t give you a mortgage

Thanks. been saving a lot and got a dig out so im a cash buyer.

endacl wrote: »
    Move in.

Problem solved.

Looked into this. As it would be my PPR it would grant me greater rights and the tenants lease becomes a licensee agreement (or I would offer him that).

Worth noting, the lease was signed a few years ago by someone now unconnected to the property. would i be right in saying its not my liability?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Sorry OP, this is a question that's not likely to be answered by pointing you to the relevant legislation.

You need to go and get proper legal advice.

As legal advice is not permitted, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement