Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What aero road bike?

Options
  • 16-07-2018 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I'm in the market for an aero road bike. Main use is going to be triathlons and some sportives (don't want a full on TT bike).

Any and all suggestions welcome. Budget is €3000 - 4000 (preferably on the lower side)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Have a propel myself, lovely machine but if i was to buy again id go for the canyon Aeroad for sheer value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Worth mentioning Felt AR series
    Also, wheels, they come separate, stock wheels are usually quite basic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If the main use is going to be Triathlon's how come your not interested in a TT bike? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

joey100 wrote: »
    If the main use is going to be Triathlon's how come your not interested in a TT bike? Just curious.

If you're going to be doing tri and just want one bike a TT bike is pretty one dimensional. An aero road bike with clip ons, aero wheels, a TT lid and skinsuit will get you most of the way there without having to have a bike you can only use in one specific discipline. Or at least that's the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I took it that he was already doing tri's so just guessed he might already have a road bike. But yep your right, if just one bike go for an aero road bike but if you have a road bike already and triathlon's are the main goal I'd be looking at a TT bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Argon Nitrogen with a set of Giant SLR wheels! Right job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Argon Nitrogen with a set of Giant SLR wheels! Right job!!

If i was building/buying right now i would also be looking at an argon-18 nitrogen pro build.
    Good offers on merlincycles for framesets at the moment. A mechanical ultegra build with 50mm wheels could come in under €3500

https://www.merlincycles.com/road-bike-frames-75276/?brand=argon-18¤cy=EUR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Thanks for all the replies. And in response of why not a TT bike, the way I see it, I have an entry level road bike that I would like to upgrade. I plan to do a few triathlons, Ironman etc and want a bike that I can get some aero benefits from but also a bike that I can use for the weekend spin with the lads as well as Sportives. So kind of one bike for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I have both, in my experience do not expect miracles from an aero bike. By gaining a fraction of speed on straights and downhills, aero bikes are not particularly responsive and can be quite flexy, don't climb as well. In crosswinds, deep section wheels with aero frames can result in very twitchy behaviour. Working on your position on the bike will get you more speed than just a frame. You may only need aero bars on what you already have to gain more speed. Just some thoughts for consideration.

Advertisement