Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this wild cabbage/kale??

Options
  • 16-07-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I had a lot of landscaping done recently, which left me with a fairly large area of bare soil to be reseeded.  As always when there's a lot of excavation, plenty of docks, thistles etc have appeared but when I was walking through it today this caught my eye.  To me it looks like kale or cabbage, although the only thing I've sown in the whole area is grass seed.  Am I right?  If so, is it edible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks like a brassica alright which is the family that includes cabbage and kale. The group also includes mustard and oilseed rape which could also be possible identities. I would guess it might be more likely to be one of these. I would not recommend trying to eat a plant you are not sure of the identity of as it could turn out to be something different from what you expected it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Looks like that yellow flowered weed that we call wild mustard. Don't let it seed or you will have a lot lot more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Thanks folks.  There was some wild mustard about the place previously which I did my best to eradicate, but things like this are a never-ending battle.  Will dig it out before it flowers and becomes more of a pest.  If I want to grow cabbage/kale again I can always sow some.

Advertisement