Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors fees-signing a gift of money for deposit

Options
  • 17-07-2018 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all i am aware you have to get someone to witness signing over a gift of money from parents for the deposit any rough ideas on how much a solicitor will charge?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Why does it have to be signed over and witnessed if it's a gift?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ehhh, I really don't think you do. One bank accepted a letter from my parents saying they'd provide a gift and another just took our word for it.

Anyway to have a solicitor sign and stamp something costs €10-20 from my experience. But you don't need it here

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭snowflake1989

Ehhh, I really don't think you do. One bank accepted a letter from my parents saying they'd provide a gift and another just took our word for it.

Anyway to have a solicitor sign and stamp something costs €10-20 from my experience. But you don't need it here

Hi oh i thought you did awh perfect if you dont rhanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭snowflake1989

Addle wrote: »

Hi i just thought i read somewhere that you have to so the bank is aware they have no interest in the house .. but seems now you dont need it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Hi i just thought i read somewhere that you have to so the bank is aware they have no interest in the house .. but seems now you dont need it? Thanks

We did, maybe it is something to do with the value of the gift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

Just Google gift letter template aib

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We needed a letter like that too (there are templates available online), but it didn't have to be signed by a solicitor. Maybe check with the bank what exactly they need, but I've never heard of anyone having to get it signed by a solicitor before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

miezekatze wrote: »
    We needed a letter like that too (there are templates available online), but it didn't have to be signed by a solicitor. Maybe check with the bank what exactly they need, but I've never heard of anyone having to get it signed by a solicitor before.

We did, the bank and my solicitor insisted.

They also had to go to an independent solicitor, my solicitor said she couldn't sign it, as she was representing us.

This was in January this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Hi all i am aware you have to get someone to witness signing over a gift of money from parents for the deposit any rough ideas on how much a solicitor will charge?!

To witness the swearing of an affidavit, a solicitor will charge €10. The drafting of the affidavit is a separate matter. Are the bank and the solicitor insisting that the parents are advised as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

4ensic15 wrote: »
    To witness the swearing of an affidavit, a solicitor will charge €10. The drafting of the affidavit is a separate matter. Are the bank and the solicitor insisting that the parents are advised as well?

+2euro per exhibit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Addle wrote:

We had to do it recently for Ulster Bank. Your solicitor will usually have a reciprocal relationship with another firm and arrange it for your parents to drop in.

We had already provided a letter but bank wanted a form filled out / witnessed by an independent solicitor who can advise your parents that they are at the bottom of any list for funds to be repaid should the mortgage fall into arrears and be repossessed. Despite it being a gift, they are thorough and want no potential claim before they get their money.

Advertisement