Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 mnth waking for bottle during the night

• 17-07-2018 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Anyone else have a toddler looking for bottle / feed during the night?
    She eats a lot during the day and a good dinner around 5:30/6, 8oz milk at 7pm and is waking at 4am for more milk....
    Then we get back to sleep for a while but wants to get up for porridge from about 5:30/6 .... ( we try and get her back to sleep until after 6)

She is tired in the mornings, as I think she is not getting enough sleep overall with just a 1.5 hr nap during the day in creche

Not sure should we try more food at 7pm instead of bottle or any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Sarabi18 wrote: »
    Anyone else have a toddler looking for bottle / feed during the night?
    She eats a lot during the day and a good dinner around 5:30/6, 8oz milk at 7pm and is waking at 4am for more milk....
    Then we get back to sleep for a while but wants to get up for porridge from about 5:30/6 .... ( we try and get her back to sleep until after 6)

She is tired in the mornings, as I think she is not getting enough sleep overall with just a 1.5 hr nap during the day in creche

Not sure should we try more food at 7pm instead of bottle or any other suggestions?

Have you tried switching the milk to water? She will soon get bored then!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Honestly I would not give her the milk.I"d say she's just waking because we enter a 'light' phase of sleep round that time of night-and probably the brighter mornings aren't helping.
    I've been there particularly with my first who was always a 4:30am child, and by 15 mths we were doing our heads in.So started treating it as a "night" waking, same as if she woke at 2am or whatever....resettled her and said it's time to be asleep or whatever.And just kept doing it, every ten mins or so. It"s absolute hell for you guys, but there was no way anyone was getting up before 6am at the very least .
    She got a groclock at 20 mths, that we could point to and say your sunshine is asleep, which helped a bit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Had the same thing with my little one. Started diluting the bottle with water ounce or two at a time - within a fortnight was on full water, soon stopped waking for a drink. It’s more habit at this stage than need for milk/food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sarabi18

Thanks for the posts!
    I think I will try that gradually switching over to water and hope this eve soon. Totally agree that it's not actually needed, but more of a waking / comfort thing. Hopefully the switchover will be worth it in the longer run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

If she is eating well + milk before bed then definitely just a habit. As others have said replace it with water + then will soon bore of it. In fairness it has been very warm for last while o she could be genuinely thirsty so offering water good solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement