Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get fibre connected?

Options
  • 17-07-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I wish to get connected to eir fibre but when I called the sales team to see what needs to be done, I was informed it is not available!

I know it is available as the new fibre line runs directly outside my house and when I spoke to an eir engineer who happened to be in the area, he also confirmed the same.

I am currently with Sky but if I could get eir fibre, I would make the switch.
    Can you advise?

Rgds,
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

JohnXon wrote: »
    Hi,
    I wish to get connected to eir fibre but when I called the sales team to see what needs to be done, I was informed it is not available!

I know it is available as the new fibre line runs directly outside my house and when I spoke to an eir engineer who happened to be in the area, he also confirmed the same.

Can you advise?

Rgds,
    John.
    Hi JohnXon ,

We cannot go against the sales team in what they have advised. If the service is availble there is no reason as to why we would stop you from availing of this.

I'm sorry it's not better news.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnXon

JohnXon wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you advise?

Rgds,
    John.
    Hi JohnXon ,

We cannot go against the sales team in what they have advised. If the service is availble there is no reason as to why we would stop you from availing of this.

I'm sorry it's not better news.

Thanks

Thomas
    TBH - I thought the exact same but I guess the sales team on the other side of the globe know better then the engineer parked outside my house.
    Rgds,
    John. 

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Take the dp code off the bpeo box usually a yellow sticker
    Make sure you specify clearly to them that it's ftth not from cab
    If they offer a landline in a package deal try to get ftth without phone line if possible. opt instead for phone number to come over VoIP (phone line off the internet via modem on fibre network)
    This will save you a visit to install a phone line before a fibre to the home install if you don't already have a phone line.
    Dp code usually reads like rcl9_005023
    Tell them exactly how close you are to it 2 3 poles outside your front door.
    Tell them your eircode. You cannot get a fibre line without one.
    Prepare your site. Nothing worse than taking a day off work assuming the tech can work wonders and get the line to cross a road and attach to a low bungalow where the first truck down will rip it off the pole. if you have a duct check if it's clear if possible if you can get a rope through from end to end even better.
    If you are laying duct try to have intersections or access points every 50m
    The tech can rod a fibreglass rod through straight and slight bends but their rods are only 60m long
    A 200m duct with no rope and no intersections where he can access the rod going through is useless to him and will cause a lot of resistance on any rope if there are any bends. Last thing you need is a rope letting go of cable halfway through.
    If it's overhead it's usually quicker.
    Be aware your fibre line will not be able to go anywhere in the house usually will be made off on the inside of an external wall this is due to health and safety concerns regarding bringing in black poly plastic into a house.
    With this in mind do not assume it will be next to an existing copper phone socket.
    A fibre install will result in two white boxes installed on the wall inside your home with cables going to power and from one unit to another along with a ethernet cable to router. This can be unsightly to many homeowners it's usually recommended to mount on wall behind TV unit in sitting room or a utility room if placed at external wall. In some cases fibre cable can go through a solid floor attic that is not converted into a living space and fixed to joists battens until it can make it's way to a Comms cabinet or utility room. It's rare but can be accommodated within reason.
    If there are issues getting the fibre to your property the technician will revert to a survey role this means you will not be getting fibre on that date. The technician will instead conduct a survey on what needs to happen from open eir network to get you service (this is providing issue is not on your land) blocked junction boxes on main road. Large overgrown branches blocking cable from being ran in a straight line,Traffic management for dangerous bends or wide roads.
    Are a few examples, most commonly for poles to be erected.
    If an issue is present on your property it is incumbent upon yourself to remediate it Usually by your own hand or by hiring a civil contractor. unless it's poling you cannot be expected to find and put poles in yourself.
    The hardest part of getting fibre to the home after ordering it is actually getting it into your house if these guidelines are not followed before installation date.
    Just giving you some advice to speed up your install and try to have your first visit also your last.

Advertisement