Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alot of expensive properties appearing on the market...something happening?

Options
  • 17-07-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

So I cycle up Howth head alot and I couldn't help notice more recently the amount of properties appearing for sales all around the summit. Some of these properties are only a few houses apart with a few sites also for sale. Just a coincidence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Those kind of properties all always take longer to sell as the pool of potential buyers is much smaller. Affordable semi-d properties for example will typically sell within 2 - 3 months in Dublin. Whereas 1 million euro+ luxury properties might take 6 months so there will be a lot more crossover (and more on the market at same time). That's my guess anyway as to what you're observing in Howth.

.......... many of them were for sale 12 months ago I reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

Maybe it's get out while the prices are still "buoyant" or the market is still "frothy" .... especially for properties like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

From what I understand high end (€1m+) properties are moving very slowely at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

amacca wrote: »
    Maybe it's get out while the prices are still "buoyant" or the market is still "frothy" .... especially for properties like that

That's what I was thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the ones who move in those circles would have good information on whats coming up around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

jon1981 wrote: »
    So I cycle up Howth head alot and I couldn't help notice more recently the amount of properties appearing for sales all around the summit. Some of these properties are only a few houses apart with a few sites also for sale. Just a coincidence?

Are you looking to buy a house at the moment or even just thinking about it?

the ones who move in those circles would have good information on whats coming up around the corner

I don't think they would tbh.
    Plenty of folk moving "in those circles" (presumably folk with a few quid) lost loads in the last recession so I don't believe their crystal balls are any clearer this time around tbh.

Are you looking to buy a house at the moment or even just thinking about it?

I own a house. Potentially in the next 4-5 years we may consider a move for personal reasons, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

jon1981 wrote: »
    I own a house. Potentially in the next 4-5 years we may consider a move for personal reasons, so yes.

OK, was wondering if could be a touch of this Baader-Meinhof thing.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

conspiracy theories over there ->>>>

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Cocobeans101

At a guess, a lot of people have been sitting on expensive properties that it just hasn't been worth to sell for the last couple of years.

There seems to be have been a sharp increase in house prices this year. A few EA and solicitors have told me they expect a but of lull coming up.

No one has a crystal ball though

OK, was wondering if could be a touch of this Baader-Meinhof thing.....

Could be! It was more the close proximity of houses for sale in such a small area that I found interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

Augeo wrote: »
    I don't think they would tbh.
    Plenty of folk moving "in those circles" (presumably folk with a few quid) lost loads in the last recession so I don't believe their crystal balls are any clearer this time around tbh.
    ye I don't think he meant in economic terms, were talking about the summit of howth here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Noticed the sane in Killiney. I guess people are cashing in when the market is high.

Lots of people ready to down size or emigrate for the past few years but waited till the price was up.

Several of my friends parents have started wintering in the sun and trader their big houses with big gardens for no maintenance apartments

Advertisement