Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laserjet printer recommendation

Options
  • 17-07-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

My wife is half-way through a part-time evening degree course, and my eldest child is also in university. With the 2 of them printing out course notes / research papers etc., we spent an absolute fortune on ink in the last college year. Our current printer is a HP 3-in-1 ink-jet printer.

I'm wondering if anybody could recommend a LaserJer printer that would be suitable for our needs? I'd like to be able to share this printer on my home WiFi.

Any help, suggestions etc would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I was in the exact same situation a number of years ago. I bought a HP LaserJet 200 colour printer (M251n), and I've been very happy with it.

When I chose this printer, I looked for the outstanding print quality, low cost and high availability of consumables. However, many reviewers are giving it lower grades because it is slow, it has a relatively small paper tray (150 pages) without manual feed, and it does not support duplex (printing on both sides), which make is a poor fit for a small office. However, I'm OK with these, as we intended it for very light weight home use.

The printer comes with a set of cartridges that will last a while. When times comes to replace them, you need to know which ones are good for your printer. They are expensive, but will last a very long time.

For the current line of HP LaserJet printers, check hpshop.ie, it's a one-stop place for all you need to know.

First, identify your needs. You said you need WiFi, so you should look for the models with the letter w in the suffix. For example, the M254nw. Mine has only n suffix, which means wired network only. If it supports duplex printing, it also has a d in the suffix, like the M254dw.

Have a look around the website and find what you need.

Management of the printer is easy with the included web interface. Being on the network, you can easily print on it from any PC, phone, or tablet.
    You can even order new cartridges straight from the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gerard1970

Fantastic, thanks JoyPad!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I also got fed up with stupidly expensive inkjet cartridges and interminable cleaning cycles that wasted half the ink as well.

I bought a Brother Hl-3150CDW. Has the advantage that it does double sided printing too. Bought it here in Dublin from 123ink.ie.

https://www.123ink.ie/Brother-HL-3150CDW-Colour-Laser-Printer-HL3150CDWRF1-i35717.html

I'm very pleased with it I must say. Have also bought a set of 123ink.ie's compatible replacement toners and they seem every bit as good as the Brother originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I came across this thread. On the look out for a new laserjet printer. I have a Dell printer but it's getting old, leaving marks on paper and its getting hard to find ink cartridges for it. Printer is only for light use is all, printing off statements and a few documents is all. It has to be colour and have a scanner.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Advertisement