Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I alright to eat it?

• 17-07-2018 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I'm about as hygenic in the kitchen as a toilet. Just now, I've probably broken at least 70 health and safety guidelines with regards to cooking, but who cares.

What I do care about is whether my seven-day meal prep will be edible for the next seven days. I'm after just grilling lots of chicken, measuring out lots of rice and making up lots of zip-loc bags containing both ingredients. I don't really know whether this is safe for starters - don't ask me why, it just seems weird putting cooked chicken in a bag of yellow, microwaveable rice - but will the food stay good if I freeze some of it? Am I alright to eat it like?

Serious and AH answers welcome.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Perfectly safe, just let it cool first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Just eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I'm about as hygenic in the kitchen as a toilet. Just now, I've probably broken at least 70 health and safety guidelines with regards to cooking, but who cares.

What I do care about is whether my seven-day meal plan will be edible for the next seven days. I'm after just grilling lots of chicken, measuring out lots of rice and making up lots of zip-loc bags containing both ingredients. I don't really know whether this is safe for starters - don't ask me why, it just seems weird putting cooked chicken in a bag of yellow, microwaveable rice - but will the food stay good if I freeze some of it? Am I alright to eat it like?

Serious and AH answers welcome.

Cheers.

Be grand - almost indefinitely if frozen.

And anyway, that's how you build a good immune system; Take risks! Be adventurous! Eat that undercooked chicken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Someone's working towards a more robust BMI.

Fair play OP.

Keep 3 and freeze 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Perfectly safe, just let it cool first

Do you mean let it defrost naturally?

Sorry if that's dumb but this confuses me. Lord knows how these gym c*nts do it every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

No, put it in the freezer when it's cold, heat it up from frozen whenever ya want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Perfectly good for freezing but get as much air out of the bags first and thaw in the fridge. Chicken will be a bit stringy but fine to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cook it, portion it, freeze it once cooled, take out of freezer day before reheating in microwave.

Make various meals, and keep in bulk like this, with no ill effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Are people not able to think for themselves any more?

Yes it will fine.

I take no responsibility for any food poisoning you might experience!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Do you mean let it defrost naturally?

No. He is talking about the thing that used to be true but is now mostly a myth that it's a bad idea to put something hot in the fridge or freezer.

If you put something hot in the fridge or freezer it will heat up the freezer a bit with older fridges or freezers it might be able to heat up the fridge or freezer enough to encourage bacteria to grow in other products shortening their lifespan. A modern appliance should be powerful enough that this doesn't make a difference. It may reduce the lifespan of everything else in your freezer by 1% but it's no big deal.

On the other hand bacteria will grow best on the food you have while it's cooling, so the quicker it cools the better, putting it in the freezer as soon as possible will increase is lifespan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Get it into ya Jacinta!
    Be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Just eat it

Have some more chicken, have some more fries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the category of AH answers - be aware the smell of cooked chicken may attract a bear that will rip your head off and eat YOU for lunch.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I read somewhere that reheated rice is really bad for you and more likely to give you food poisoning than most other food.

I've often eaten leftover takeaway rice 2 days later :o I'm not dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Expected more AH answers. Ya'll slipping.

If my microwave isn't working should I blast them with piss to warm them up a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I've often eaten leftover takeaway rice 2 days later :o I'm not dead yet.

Takes a while for it to kick in :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The devil lives in your freezer, he robs taste, flavour and freshness out of your food and replaces it with soggy cardboard, ugh!

Fresh, fresh, fresh, only way to go......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

AH: "You'll die."

Your belly: "Be grand."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I assumed you were working in a kitchen :restaurant.

Otherwise why would you out all that tediousness and dead chicken bagging on yourself - freezing and cooling and thawing and hacking stringy defrosted bird - you can fry one up in 5 minutes and do fresh rice in 10. Far less hassle and far nicer - and no chance of salmoneile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Expected more AH answers. Ya'll slipping.

If my microwave isn't working should I blast them with piss to warm them up a bit?

If you like it warmed but not too hot to eat, stick under your arm while ya watch Corrie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Not sure if you'll get much time out of frozen chicken. I put a fish in freezer last night and he was dead this morning, can't imagine chicken would last much longer.

Advertisement