Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to learn to fly in Ireland

Options
  • 17-07-2018 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I hope to get my PPL in the next year or two. I have the money saved up and know what is required. I hope to get an introductory flight to start with this summer. My question is where is the best place to start? I have looked into a few places and I have narrowed it down to the Narional Flight Centre at Weston or Atlantic Flight Training in Cork. I know the NFC introductory flight counts towards your 45 hours and I'm not sure if it does in Cork. So what do you guys think? Any experience with either place?

Many thanks
    Shpud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Best place to start is to get your medical. Which one you'll need depends on how far you want to go but definitely make sure that you can get one first.
    Then book your intro flight. If all schools are equally convieniant for you do an intro with each one. Get a logbook and all intros will count towards the 45 hrs.

Is it just a PPL for your own personal enjoyment? If so have you considered a LAPL or microlights?
    If you want to go professional (commercial) have you considered a long holiday in the US and converting the licence when you return?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Best place to start is to get your medical. Which one you'll need depends on how far you want to go but definitely make sure that you can get one first.
    Then book your intro flight. If all schools are equally convieniant for you do an intro with each one. Get a logbook and all intros will count towards the 45 hrs.

Is it just a PPL for your own personal enjoyment? If so have you considered a LAPL or microlights?
    If you want to go professional (commercial) have you considered a long holiday in the US and converting the licence when you return?
    Im in canada at the moment, it's cheaper here to do it than at home(I hear) but how much could you do it for in the states?  Is it substantially cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Would I have to get the medical before the intro flight? It would be the Class 2 medical I need because I just want a PPL. They are both the same distance from me so they would be equally convenient.

Yeah the PPL is all I want. I have thought about microlights alright though. What would be difference between an LAPL and a PPL?
    I wouldn't be going commercial anyway cause I wouldn't pass a Class 1 medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Think you only need the medical before your first solo which will be at least 10 hours in. NFC were great when I did it. They've changed ownership since and the jury is still out in my opinion on whether things have deteriorated or not. Can give you advice on which instructors to ask for if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

It’s generally recommended to do the medical first (well, maybe after the intro flight, but definitely before you do much more) because if you unexpectedly fail it for any reason, at least you won’t be down a giant pile of money. (Or, as giant a pile of money :pac:)

I’m doing a PPL at NFC right now. Nothing but good things to say :) The only thing that really sucks is being dependent on Irish weather... although we’ve been unbelievably lucky on that front for the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Would I have to get the medical before the intro flight? It would be the Class 2 medical I need because I just want a PPL. They are both the same distance from me so they would be equally convenient.

Yeah the PPL is all I want. I have thought about microlights alright though. What would be difference between an LAPL and a PPL?
    I wouldn't be going commercial anyway cause I wouldn't pass a Class 1 medical.

LAPL requires 30 hours flight training, PPL is 45. For both you need to attend ground school (slightly less hours for LAPL) and pass 9 exams with the IAA. For either PPL or PAPL you need to do a skills flight test at the end, but for LAPL you don't get tested on radio navigation or simulated instrument flying.

With a LAPL licence you can fly up to 4 seater aircraft, and I think there might be a restriction on flying to other countries, not sure on that. Also the medical requirements for a LAPL are slighty less, which I believe was the whole reason it was introduced.

They are more or less the same, so if you are not planning on commercial training I'd say go the LAPL route and save the money. Either way, have fun and good luck!

andrew163 wrote: »
    It’s generally recommended to do the medical first (well, maybe after the intro flight, but definitely before you do much more) because if you unexpectedly fail it for any reason, at least you won’t be down a giant pile of money. (Or, as giant a pile of money :pac:)

I’m doing a PPL at NFC right now. Nothing but good things to say :) The only thing that really sucks is being dependent on Irish weather... although we’ve been unbelievably lucky on that front for the past few weeks.

That's a good point. I think I'll do the introductory flight and get the medical afterwards.

That's good to hear that you've had a good experiences with NFC. I'll keep that in mind.

robbie1876 wrote: »
    LAPL requires 30 hours flight training, PPL is 45. For both you need to attend ground school (slightly less hours for LAPL) and pass 9 exams with the IAA. For either PPL or PAPL you need to do a skills flight test at the end, but for LAPL you don't get tested on radio navigation or simulated instrument flying.

With a LAPL licence you can fly up to 4 seater aircraft, and I think there might be a restriction on flying to other countries, not sure on that. Also the medical requirements for a LAPL are slighty less, which I believe was the whole reason it was introduced.

They are more or less the same, so if you are not planning on commercial training I'd say go the LAPL route and save the money. Either way, have fun and good luck!

The LAPL sounds like an interesting alternative. Two questions: if i got the LAPL and later decided I wanted to get the PPL would the hours I have count towards it? And I'd just have to do some more ground school?

Shpud2 wrote: »
    The LAPL sounds like an interesting alternative. Two questions: if i got the LAPL and later decided I wanted to get the PPL would the hours I have count towards it? And I'd just have to do some more ground school?

You can do a LAPL to PPL conversion course where you just need to fly the extra 15 hours as part of a course in a flight school. You won't need to do ground school again as you'll have already passed the 9 PPL exams (it's a curiosity that less ground school hours are required on a LAPL ground school for the same result - most likely you'll do the full PPL ground school anyway)

Bear in mind that you'll have to do a PPL skills test even if you've done a LAPL skills test. The cost for each test might be €600 to €700 between the plane rental and examiner fee. You might not want to pay that twice if you are going to convert to PPL.

robbie1876 wrote: »
    You can do a LAPL to PPL conversion course where you just need to fly the extra 15 hours as part of a course in a flight school. You won't need to do ground school again as you'll have already passed the 9 PPL exams (it's a curiosity that less ground school hours are required on a LAPL ground school for the same result - most likely you'll do the full PPL ground school anyway)

Bear in mind that you'll have to do a PPL skills test even if you've done a LAPL skills test. The cost for each test might be €600 to €700 between the plane rental and examiner fee. You might not want to pay that twice if you are going to convert to PPL.
    Based on that I'd be more inclined to just go for the PPL and avoid the extra skills test cost.
    Do you know what places do the LAPL? The only places that came up when i searched were Wicklow flying club and possibly at Newcastle airfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Recreational places like Newcastle and abbeyshrule (can't remember the club names!) Focus on the LAPL. Places that focus on commercial training like NFC and AFTA focus on the PPL.
    You can't add stuff like instrument or multi engine ratings to a LAPL but you can to a PPL. But very few PPL holders would have or use them anyway.

Definitely don't put the medical on the long finger!

There's a list of training facilities on the IAA website. As well as a list of medical examiners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

What are the medical requirements for LAPL?

In the UK a LAPL medical can be issued by a GP, unless there is a known current or previous medical condition such as asthma or heart related problems etc - there is a list of qualifying conditions somewhere on the CAA site for GPs to follow. If the pilot has a condition on the list, the GP must refer them to an aero-medical examiner for the issuing of the medical cert.

I don't know if that is the same story here in Ireland. I'd say your best bet is to contact your local AME from the list here and ask them. Most on the list are GPs as well, I'm sure they'll set you straight with the requirements for LAPL.

Advertisement