Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What language is regarded as most useful nowadays?

• 17-07-2018 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I’m (hopefully) doing Arts this year and would like to do a language. I did German and French in my Leaving and love both. I could do Spanish or Italian from scratch if I wanted to either. Which would generally be more useful, here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I’m (hopefully) doing Arts this year and would like to do a language. I did German and French in my Leaving and love both. I could do Spanish or Italian from scratch if I wanted to either. Which would generally be more useful, here?

Aside from the sheer impossibility of answering your question, have you given much thought to doing an Arts degree? In particular from an employability perspective?

As in what jobs are available that would require a broad degree such as an Arts degree. I'm not having a pop at Arts degrees, but the employment rates for Arts graduates is particularly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

To get employed by a company to work through German or French will require serious effort. You will need at least C1 level in either, which isn't impossible but the vast majority of Irish graduates in languages will never achieve this level of proficiency. If you really want to study a language I recommend studying it with another more employable subject like business, computer science or engineering.

Advertisement