Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask or not

Options
  • 17-07-2018 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Received my birth mothers first name and county she is from. I never received a surname. Should I ask the social worker ? Will I be refused the name ??? Or will I say I would like my birth mothers surname as I was going to get my original birth cert so I would find out one way or another. Just saves me having to spend ages going to records.
    Or maybe rephrase the last sentence a bit better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

They won't give it to you without first having contacted your mother for permission. You are only entitled to non identifying information unfortunately. However, with your mother's first name you could still manage to get your birth Cert by taking a trip to the GRO and going through the books of your birth year. Assuming she wasn't married, baby's (your) surname will match mother's maiden name. Even if there are a few babies with matching surnames on your date of birth, you could get copies of the records for about €4 and hopefully the first name you have been given will be on one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cherry26

In my limited experience with social workers, I've found that it's nearly easier to do things for yourself if possible. They won't give any identifying information so you'd be better off looking through the records yourself

Advertisement