Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

CramCycle wrote: »
    From talking to other people, if its shipped from outside the EU, unlike a few years ago where it was a lottery, nowadays it would appear to be a certainty that if it looks over a certain value, it will get pulled.

use eglobal or options where it's shipped from an eu location / warehouse as above poster has said.

apparently hongkong goldway on aliexpress using dhl also works. but that adds 20 euro more

using gearbest, banggood etc will get stopped. but work out the price, could be still ok after you pay vat + collection fee (or if expensive duty also applies) but

eglobal usually the cheapest option given there is no add-on for shipping on anything above 50 euro.

yessiryes wrote: »
    About to upgrade from an s6, was going to to with the A2 128gb, can I do better? Camera important and obviously high memory which I have had a nightmare with on the a6. Hoping to bring it in under 300....whats the story with customs, do they get pulled alot?

only 232 on eglobal

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-dual-sim-6gb-128gb-black.html

if you're going for camera it's a good option but it still won't be great for low-light really compared to the upper segment - e.g. mi 8 etc which is another 100 euro plus

battery life not great and no nfc tho.

you could look at the honor 10 which is coming down in price and which is a much nicer looking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭yessiryes

Thanks will check out the honor 10 and the shipping situation! Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

Has anybody bought from Gearbest (HK) recently? Is there a particular postage method more likely to avoid customs like expedited or DHL etc or is it just luck of the draw?

breeno wrote: »
    Has anybody bought from Gearbest (HK) recently? Is there a particular postage method more likely to avoid customs like expedited or DHL etc or is it just luck of the draw?

not aware of any method that works with gearbest to avoid customs that works

look at hongkong goldway seller on aliexpress (using dhl - people have used this recently)

but eglobal usually as cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

breeno wrote: »

Just avoid Gearbest entirely, and find somewhere else to buy it from!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This opened today at midday - https://event.mi.com/uk/sales2018/open-sales

The Nubia Z17 Lite is 6GB + 64GB NFC Snapdragon 653 is on sale on Geekbuying (NO BAND 20).
    €114 from HongKong or €142.50 from Poland using code 05GEEKBUY
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Nubia-Z17-Lite-5-5-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-Gold-400262.html

HongKong might get stopped, if it does get stopped expect to pay another €36 which would bring it up to €150 ish.
    Even without Band20 it seems like a good deal, especially if it arrived for €114.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads I'm looking to get the mother a new phone for Christmas.
    She has a honor 3c with years and it's on its last legs
    Good camera and battery would be nice. Thanks. Can go to about 150. 5.2 would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I've just ordered mine the mi a2 lite. I'll let you know what it looks like when it gets here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

As well to wait for black friday if you can now i would think?

As well to wait for black friday if you can now i would think?

there weren't many deals on phones for black friday really afair last year(s)

as most people are buying from chinese sites / european warehouses of same and not amazon etc where you get black friday offers

Also today is 'singles day'. This weekend is sales on all the Chinese stores.

Honor 9 Lite is on Amazon Italy for €139 - https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B079876N49/
    Works out at
    €141.62 to PW/AP/PM/PC
    or
    €148.65 to Ireland

Edited
    Honor Play is €234 - https://www.amazon.it/Honor-Play-Smartphone-Midnight-Italia/dp/B07G9C3WHR/

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Suckit wrote: »
    Honor 9 Lite is on Amazon Italy for €139 - https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B079876N49/
    Works out at
    €141.62 to PW/AP/PM/PC
    or
    €148.65 to Ireland

Edited
    Honor Play is €234 - https://www.amazon.it/Honor-Play-Smartphone-Midnight-Italia/dp/B07G9C3WHR/

The honour play won't ship directly to Ireland will it? Do you have to go through UK?

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    The honour play won't ship directly to Ireland will it? Do you have to go through UK?

It will ship directly to Ireland for €244.77 delivered. I don't think it will ship to UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Is that honor play a good phone

Is that honor play a good phone

Powerful cpu.
    Ok battery.
    Ok camera.

Poco F1 better overall.

No NFC.

Aimed at people who game a lot on phones

If you don't need cpu power prob not worth it

A bit like Poco f1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niamhmb

Looking at buying this phone from honorbuy - Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro Official global version- can anybody advise if compatible with three network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Niamhmb wrote: »
    Looking at buying this phone from honorbuy - Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro Official global version- can anybody advise if compatible with three network

Check yourself
    https://willmyphonework.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

ZTE Nubia X!

ZTE nubia X specs

Aliexpress starting from €519.64

How would you use a case with that device or get glass protectors for both displays, I guess?

Here’s a run-down of the phone’s specs:

6.26 inch, 2280 x 1080 pixel front display (with a 93.6 screen-to-body ratio)
    5.1 inch, 1520 x 720 pixel OLED display on the back.
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor
    UFS 2.1 storage
    16MP +24MP cameras
    3,800 mAh battery with 18W fast charging support
    802.11ac WiFi
    Bluetooth 5.0
    USB Type-C
    Android 8.1

There’s no microSD card reader or headphone jack.

https://liliputing.com/2018/10/nubia-x-is-has-no-front-camera-and-a-second-screen-on-the-back.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I love gimmicks like that. The remind me of the crazy old Nokia days. Having said that, a screen on the back is a terrible idea. The only way I though that would work is the Yotaphone which had an e-ink display so you could save battery.

corkie wrote: »
    ZTE Nubia X!

ZTE nubia X specs

Aliexpress starting from €519.64

How would you use a case with that device or get glass protectors for both displays, I guess?

https://liliputing.com/2018/10/nubia-x-is-has-no-front-camera-and-a-second-screen-on-the-back.html

sort of pointless imo.

the foldable dual screen phones will offer more use cases.

here the only one was taking a selfie with the rear camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

3,800 mAh battery for 2 screens......yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 31 niallhy

corkie wrote: »
    Xiaomi Pocophone F1

Xiaomi Pocophone F1
    <<< gsmarena specs

Pocophone F1 by Xiaomi review <<< gsmarena

Already a boards thread: - Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Will this Pocophone work in Ireland on the eir network? Torn between this and a OnePlus 6t but the headphone jack is swinging me in the direction of the Pocophone.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    niallhy wrote: »
    Will this Pocophone work in Ireland on the eir network? Torn between this and a OnePlus 6t but the headphone jack is swinging me in the direction of the Pocophone.

fixxxer wrote: »

Have tried that already but the phone is not in the drop down menu to check.

Have tried that already but the phone is not in the drop down menu to check.

Ah ok. GSM Arena says it has Band 20 so will be grand for 4G speeds.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Ah ok. GSM Arena says it has Band 20 so will be grand for 4G speeds.

That's great news, thank you for your reply. I get kinda lost when comparing bandwidths and compatibility!

• Advertisement

Have you looked at the OnePlus 6? It has a headphone jack and NFC.
    As do the Asus Zenfone 5Z, Huawei Mate 10 and Huawei Mate 20.

Dropping NFC, the Meizu 16th, Vivo Nex S could give the Pocophone a run.

Advertisement