Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

thewools wrote: »
    Which site or YouTuber is best for chinese phone reviews? Thanks..
    techutopia

smilerf wrote: »
    techutopia

that guy is so annoying.

eminently punchable and his screechy voice would drive you mad, "bro".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Don't know Techtutopia, but I wouldn't use one place of reference, nor one site for their hardware guide or comparison.
    Some review places may not have a review of the device you are looking at, some of the Chinese phone makers don't give out freebies to youtube channels and that may also be a reason why you don't hear of so many of them, and some comparison sites compare value differently.
    Whatever the reason, best to look at a few different sites and maybe some youtube channels for reference and then forums to check if anybody has had the device.
    If you are buying a newly released device, then take any review with a pinch of salt and consider yourself as clued in as they are about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

banie01 wrote: »
    Prices are crazy in there tho!

I paid 312 delivered for my Mi8 and if memory serves @€;210 delivered for my son's note5.
    Argos are convenient, but prices are mad even compared to Xiaomi.es or Amazon.co.uk

Not worth that much of a "Bricks and Mortar" tax IMO.

A quick glance at the Argos prices, tells me Argos are probably the most expensive place in Europe to purchase a Xiaomi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

thewools wrote: »
    Which site or YouTuber is best for chinese phone reviews? Thanks..

Redskull is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Where is a MI 8 coming from for 312? Honorbuy has a global 128gb for 475EUR.

basill wrote: »
    Where is a MI 8 coming from for 312? Honorbuy has a global 128gb for 475EUR.

Don't know where you saw €312 but it's €320 from HK Goldway (Didn't check EU shipping) for the 128GB.
    The 256GB version is on Banggood for €360 + €8 (EU) shipping.

€475 for the 128GB version seems very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Suckit wrote: »
    Don't know where you saw €312 but it's €320 from HK Goldway (Didn't check EU shipping) for the 128GB.

I bought a 64gb from HK Goldway for $370US shipped which worked out to €320.4 via Revolut on the day I bought with Topcashback I got 12 of that back ;) So actually came to €308 landed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I've got Redmi note 5 since last summer and very happy with it.

Were those shipped from EU? Only ones I can see are from HK or China so would be subject to duty etc on arrival in the state.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Were those shipped from EU? Only ones I can see are from HK or China so would be subject to duty etc on arrival in the state.

Not necessarily.... Luck of the draw in a lot of cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭NATLOR

HK Goldway offer duty free shipping when you choose DHL (around €25)

The phone gets shipped to the UK first then onto Ireland so as far as Irish customs are concerned it has originated in the EU

Cool cheers for the info. Used Honourbuy for last one from their EU warehouse so didn't have to worry about duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

NATLOR wrote: »
    HK Goldway offer duty free shipping when you choose DHL (around €25)

The phone gets shipped to the UK first then onto Ireland so as far as Irish customs are concerned it has originated in the EU

Be careful ordering from them later in the Month, because if Brexit happens, you could be charged VAT on products if the item arrives after it.

^^^ Same goes for ordering from amazon.co.uk and other British websites.

The Banggood links offer EU Priority line shipping. So no extra charges.

corkie wrote: »
    Be careful ordering from them later in the Month, because if Brexit happens, you could be charged VAT on products if the item arrives after it.

^^^ Same goes for ordering from amazon.co.uk and other British websites.

Most have alternative routes. They will ship to another hub in Germany or Spain, there was a small article on techspot or gadgetsnow or one of those type of sites after christmas.

Amazon charge the vat on their site anyway, so it will be the final price at checkout, as it currently is on amazon.com/ca/in/jp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Geekbuying also offer EU shipping options on most items

The Banggood links offer EU Priority line shipping. So no extra charges.

are you sure that that works for phones getting through without customs?
    can you confirm that you've used it recently with no issues?

NATLOR wrote: »
    Geekbuying also offer EU shipping options on most items

yes poland warehouse, spain etc. if available shipping charges usually lowest on the poland option

definitely no customs

glasso wrote: »
    are you sure that that works for phones getting through without customs?
    can you confirm that you've used it recently with no issues?

Yes, I can 100% confirm it works. I've used it for four phones (4th in transit). Not the fastest though.

I also forgot to select EU direct shipping on a phone and a vacuum cleaner, and both were fairly quick (a week) and neither stopped for any extra charges. But with EU Priority line shipping an option, it is safer bet.

Geekbuying EU shipping is much faster, but not always the cheapest for phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Geekbuying.com shipped my a1 by DHL for less than 2 euro from the Italian warehouse. The overall cost of the phones from geekbuying works out the same as the likes of honorbuy when the differences in shipping charges is taken into account.

Yes, I can 100% confirm it works. I've used it for four phones (4th in transit). Not the fastest though.

I also forgot to select EU direct shipping on a phone and a vacuum cleaner, and both were fairly quick (a week) and neither stopped for any extra charges. But with EU Priority line shipping an option, it is safer bet.

Geekbuying EU shipping is much faster, but not always the cheapest for phones.

does priority line come through another EU country e.g. - shipped to Holland or something and then comes onwards so An Post don't notice that it's from China?

is that how it works?

glasso wrote: »
    does priority line come through another EU country e.g. - shipped to Holland or something and then comes onwards so An Post don't notice that it's from China?

is that how it works?

EU priority shipping is supposed to be that it is fast-tracked to an EU country when you purchase it and then it is processed in that hub and taxes paid etc before being shipped to the customer.
    Not all of them do that. They are supposed to, but as long as they can get away without doing it, they won't.
    Banggood have tried a few different methods since they started, and the reason they aren't the quickest, is because they haven't found somewhere that can process their orders quickly and forward them, An Post could probably offer it :)

Other sites just ship them and if they get stopped, they say that they will refund you any charges.

Other sites have EU warehouses and only the stock in those warehouses (or below €26) won't get stopped for any charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Hey All,

Any news on ther global version redmi note 7 pro? Been trying to hold out for it but the screen on my 5 plus is getting the worse for wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I received my redmi note 7(not pro) global version last week. Great phone. Love the screen. (Upgraded from MiA1). Only drawback in that its not Android One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I received my redmi note 7(not pro) global version last week. Great phone. Love the screen. (Upgraded from MiA1). Only drawback in that its not Android One.

Great review for R7 here.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7-review-1883p6.php

Says its way better than Mi8 Lite, Huawei P Smart, Honor 10 Lite, Motorola One and Samsung A6 2018.

It didn't compare it to the Xiaomi M1 A2 or A2 lite but specs seem better than those. M1 A2 lite is recommended a lot on boards so R7 must be a great ph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭granturismo

Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭shmeee

Where did you buy it?

Just about to ask the same. Will purchase one a some stage this week if no update on the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭robwen

shmeee wrote: »
    Just about to ask the same. Will purchase one a some stage this week if no update on the Pro.

I bought from honorbuy last Monday night/Tuesday morning 12.30am it arrived with DHL Wednesday afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭shmeee

robwen wrote: »
    I bought from honorbuy last Monday night/Tuesday morning 12.30am it arrived with DHL Wednesday afternoon

Just see this on honourbay now about the Redmi Note 7.

Tips:
    - Redmi Note 7 Global Version is available for pre order in EU warehouse, orders placed from 11th Mar will be shipped around 18th Mar 2019.

So awaiting new stock I presume?

That's some fast delivery.

Advertisement