Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

GBX wrote: »

Cheers, just looking at this and comparing to mi 9t also.

Is the Lite really not upgradable to android 10? Despite a later release date than the 9T?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

adaephon wrote: »
    Cheers, just looking at this and comparing to mi 9t also.

Is the Lite really not upgradable to android 10? Despite a later release date than the 9T?

Android 10 will be available - https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-7-redmi-note-8-pro-redmi-k20-mi-9t-mi-mix-3-mi-9-se-mi-8-se-receive-android-10-miui-11-betas/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

presume you got an eu plug? i couldnt find anywhere to ask them for a uk plug when ordering. not a dealbreaker as i still have my oneplus dash charger but still
    I got these for the 9T Pro plug.
    Bit bulky when it's all together, but work just fine.
    Very snug as well, so no fear of the EU plug popping out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N10BRR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DonnieCorko

presume you got an eu plug? i couldnt find anywhere to ask them for a uk plug when ordering. not a dealbreaker as i still have my oneplus dash charger but still

I did. You can also order off Realme Europe and get a UK plug but I think there is greater security ordering from Amazon. Will probably order a UK version at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭shmeee

I wouldn't use a One Plus charger unless with a One Plus.

If you can, buy a new charger.

And don't try an adapter as that won't give enough voltage for fast charge either.

I'd recommend the ANON quick chargers, have got a couple of them now. Can be got on Amazon or Ebay, I paid about €20 but worth it. The dual port's are also very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

ordered the umidigi a5 pro via amazon prime on saturday 4th jan...with a delivery date of today wednesday 8th jan.
    nothing arrived...contacted support who say it will be 13th jan before i get it and gave me £10 credit for compensation.

but heres the thing...it shows on tracking that it left 'amazon facility' in st helens, merseyside on monday....where could it be ?...and how is the date of 13th for delivery coming from ?
    amazon support couldnt answer as they said they were guided by an post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got my realme 5 pro, some machine. Highly recommended.
    I stuck the EU plug into a "double adaptor" type of plug and use it as is. However I just use a regular slow old charger overnight going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DonnieCorko

TheDriver wrote: »
    I stuck the EU plug into a "double adaptor" type of plug and use it as is. However I just use a regular slow old charger overnight going forward

I wonder would using a slower charger damage the battery? If someone would know id appreciate an answer.

I wonder would using a slower charger damage the battery? If someone would know id appreciate an answer.

I think its the opposite, a slow charger is better?

I have a realme x2 and its a serious phone. Got it from Amazon Spain. 310 including delivery.

Realme5 Pro is circa 250 I believe and from what ive read is a serious phone too. Ordered one for mother, brother, and sister in law lol. The RealmeX2 really impressed me. Good camera, crazy quick charging. Battery lasts the full day with heavy usage. great screen, decent speakers. I even quite like colourOS even though people rag on it. Some great features IMO

You can get the 5 pro with 4Gb of RAM for 179 plus 8 shipping. ColorOS is grand and the clone phone app is great to setting up the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think its the opposite, a slow charger is better?
    Yeah, pretty sure that a slow charger overnight (if needed) is the better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

shmeee wrote: »
    I wouldn't use a One Plus charger unless with a One Plus.

I don't really see why, all (older especially) quick charging technology is fairly similar and so will make little difference really. Also, realme and OnePlus are owned by the same company so and from what I can gather,the older technology from the OnePlus brand is used with oppo and realme

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

So, I was expecting my phone from Honorbuy to be delivered today, I'm in Cork and it arrived in Cork yesterday and was due to be delivered today, I checked the tracking this morning and now it's saying it's in Dublin! It was shipped with Fedex so I tried calling them with the tracking number Honorbuy gave me but they're saying my tracking number is too long. Anyone else had this problem before???

I don't really see why, all (older especially) quick charging technology is fairly similar and so will make little difference really. Also, realme and OnePlus are owned by the same company so and from what I can gather,the older technology from the OnePlus brand is used with oppo and realme

Anytime I'd to pop a one plus charger into another phone it never charged correctly (very slow charge) and you could even hear a hissing noise coming from the one plus charger which would turn me off doing it.

If it works, well and good but that was just my experience.

Toxica wrote: »
    So, I was expecting my phone from Honorbuy to be delivered today, I'm in Cork and it arrived in Cork yesterday and was due to be delivered today, I checked the tracking this morning and now it's saying it's in Dublin! It was shipped with Fedex so I tried calling them with the tracking number Honorbuy gave me but they're saying my tracking number is too long. Anyone else had this problem before???

You sure it's not with DHL, never saw an option for FedEx and I and others I know have used Honourbuy a number of times and was always DHL, even the shipping options on postage state DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Toxica wrote: »

Hmmm, apparently Fedex handed it over to TNT and it's still out for delivery today. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭bassy

No NFC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Almost certain that the fast charging is a complete gimmick and just destroys batteries and everyone thinks they are doing great work

bassy wrote: »
    No NFC ?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭bassy

No

still a great phone,where you buy yours m8

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    still a great phone,where you buy yours m8

Amazon fr. 179 + 8 del for 5 pro 4Gb

Lads and lasses and all you folk wise in the ways of the uncommon android phone.

What is the best SMALL android at the minute?

Would love to get something more handy than my current behemoth MI Max 3.

EDIT - but not sacrifice quality , like dont want a PoS either?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads and lasses and all you folk wise in the ways of the uncommon android phone.

What is the best SMALL android at the minute?

Would love to get something more handy than my current behemoth MI Max 3.

EDIT - but not sacrifice quality , like dont want a PoS either?

taking small to mean smaller than 6" screen... you could look at the xiaomi A2 range.
    for a more expensive phone the google pixels are aroudn 5.7"

what money range are we talking about ??

Mi 9 SE is also a good shout. Pretty much the same size as the Huawei P7 lite, just more screen and much, much better.
    Think the Mi A3 is also similar in size, if you want to go Android One

sydthebeat wrote: »
    taking small to mean smaller than 6" screen... you could look at the xiaomi A2 range.
    for a more expensive phone the google pixels are aroudn 5.7"

what money range are we talking about ??

Mi 9 SE is also a good shout. Pretty much the same size as the Huawei P7 lite, just more screen and much, much better.
    Think the Mi A3 is also similar in size, if you want to go Android One

Thanks Both, i was looking even smaller than that if possible, maybe 5 inch, price can be anything up to 200 i suppose.

I dont think itll be my daily driver but want something handy for walking and gym and running etc.

Fed up trousers nearly falling off with the size of phones these days lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks Both, i was looking even smaller than that if possible, maybe 5 inch, price can be anything up to 200 i suppose.

I dont think itll be my daily driver but want something handy for walking and gym and running etc.

Few people have looked for small phones in recent months - options are slim - I've said it before, a 5" screen sized phone might have the same footprint as a 5.5" / 5.7" screen phone. Have a look on Kimovil.com and adjust the specs and see if something suitable comes up for you.

Sorry meant P8 Lite.
    P8 has a 5.2" screen, the Mi 9 SE and A3 both have 6" screens and are the same size as the P8, 6mm bigger in the A3 case.
    A3 is the cheaper of the two as well.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8516&idPhone2=9583&idPhone3=9769

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

GBX wrote: »
    Few people have looked for small phones in recent months - options are slim - I've said it before, a 5" screen sized phone might have the same footprint as a 5.5" / 5.7" screen phone. Have a look on Kimovil.com and adjust the specs and see if something suitable comes up for you.

the Kimovil.com site is superb - for comparison. You can really nail down the phone you want fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Some good deals on ali express at the moment. Can anyone recommend any specific sellers, or is it safe to assume that if 'dhl delivery' is chosen that the phone will arrive tariff/duty paid? One final question please, what is the difference between global Rom, global version or official version and which one would be applicable for here?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Some good deals on ali express at the moment. Can anyone recommend any specific sellers, or is it safe to assume that if 'dhl delivery' is chosen that the phone will arrive tariff/duty paid? One final question please, what is the difference between global Rom, global version or official version and which one would be applicable for here?
    Thanks.

You want to be getting global version as it has support for 4g in rural areas this is generally the only difference. Global rom generally refers to other European languages supported. Chain version is generally China only will usually have English language support.

I find DHL is 50/50 for getting it through customs without paying.

Advertisement