Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭corkie

@Fann Linn share some links duty free only applies if they say on the link, where they ship to an EU/UK warehouse first and then on to you.

I wonder what will happen with Brexit if still using the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Some good deals on ali express at the moment. Can anyone recommend any specific sellers, or is it safe to assume that if 'dhl delivery' is chosen that the phone will arrive tariff/duty paid? One final question please, what is the difference between global Rom, global version or official version and which one would be applicable for here?
    Thanks.
    No, it' not safe to assume that 'DHL Delivery' means the fees will be prepaid.

Only if it states that they are.
    DHL just means fast delivery, but you will pay for that, and they will hit you for handling fees (€15) on top of any tax to be paid - Unless it is stated otherwise.
    DHL will 100% hit you up if fees aren't prepaid.

Global version usually means the phone will work here out of the box.
    Global Rom means that they have installed a (usually modded) firmware (and possible bloatware) on a non-global version phone, and won't guarantee all networks will work on 3G, 4G etc..
    Global Version would be the version to go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thanks folks. I'll stick with Honourbuy EU and Amazon.

corkie wrote: »
    @Fann Linn share some links duty free only applies if they say on the link, where they ship to an EU/UK warehouse first and then on to you.

I wonder what will happen with Brexit if still using the UK?

Sorry, hadn't seen your reply above mine had already answered, I was browsing and replying at same time so was typing it for a while.

Likely UK will be like the Channel Islands and Switzerland etc.

Anything coming from there will be hit by customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks folks. I'll stick with Honourbuy EU and Amazon.

If you have any concerns about customer service and want a very easy replacement opportunity if required, then amazon is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭beardo81

beardo81 wrote: »
    I'm hoping Eglobal will want to keep themselves in good stead with PayPal and resolve it quickly but not confident they will...

You live and learn. I was one of the people previously saying 'well I haven't had a bad experience with Eglobal yet so they're fine by me', I had 2 ok-ish purchases from them.

I really won't be buying off them again, too many decent companies out there to deal with rather than dealing with this shower.

Got refund accepted today by Eglobal through PayPal so should have it into account in a couple of days. At long last!!

I think many of the Chinese sellers have priced themselves out of the market for people buying for personal use.
    It was ok a few years ago when items were cheap, even if they got stopped for tax.
    But now, many items are as cheap on amazon. Even if amazon is only a bit more expensive, it's not much considering it comes with EU warranty and from a reputable company.
    Aliexpress, eglobal, honorbuy and others are decent if the item isn't available in EU stores, or even if it is but the price difference is quite high.

Even if the price is high, it's probably a good idea to open a tracker and see if it has been lower.
    something like Keepa, camelx3 or TheTracktor
    It might drop again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Suckit wrote: »
    I think many of the Chinese sellers have priced themselves out of the market for people buying for personal use.
    It was ok a few years ago when items were cheap, even if they got stopped for tax.
    But now, many items are as cheap on amazon. Even if amazon is only a bit more expensive, it's not much considering it comes with EU warranty and from a reputable company.
    Aliexpress, eglobal, honorbuy and others are decent if the item isn't available in EU stores, or even if it is but the price difference is quite high.

Even if the price is high, it's probably a good idea to open a tracker and see if it has been lower.
    something like Keepa, camelx3 or TheTracktor
    It might drop again.
    I don't agree I bought a OnePlus 7t on AliExpress for 425 delivered guaranteed no customs by the seller.its the 256gb model .in eu the 128gb model is €599. So all told I got double the storage and saved €175.to me China still is a great option

massy086 wrote: »
    I don't agree I bought a OnePlus 7t on AliExpress for 425 delivered guaranteed no customs by the seller.its the 256gb model .in eu the 128gb model is €599. So all told I got double the storage and saved €175.to me China still is a great option
    Yeah, wasn't saying it was every seller or store. The Oneplus is sold from certain sellers/stores for cheaper, so that would be the exception too.
    Banggood for exampke often sell Oneplus phones cheaper than other stores with codes etc. (and have a very good warranty service for a Chinese store).
    But for the majority of phones it is harder to find a phone delivered with tax paid and fast delivery to compete with EU prices.
    They are often as high as amazon prices.
    There are some that can get the phone/item in and avoid customs, but that's not guaranteed to work, and would 100% not have the warranty that something bought from an EU store would have.
    I still buy from China, but the reality is that it is nowhere near the cheaper option it was a couple of years ago, unless using 3rd party sites etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mad turnip wrote: »
    You want to be getting global version as it has support for 4g in rural areas this is generally the only difference. Global rom generally refers to other European languages supported. Chain version is generally China only will usually have English language support.

I find DHL is 50/50 for getting it through customs without paying.

"Global rom" has nothing to do with the lte bands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭beardo81

With regard to Honorbuy, they have the normal part of website and the EU direct part. The phone I was looking at (Xiaomi MiA3) is on the regular site and says in stock + supports shipping from EU warehouse. Its not on the EU direct selection though. Will this delay shipping?

Alternatively, the Note 8 is available on the EU direct part, slightly more expensive but similarly specced phones.

Any advice/thoughts/recommendations?

I'd probably prefer to but from Amazon but budget is 150/160 (January hit hard) and they're closer to 200 on there for that spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Has anyone else seen the specs for the upcoming Xiaomi Mi10 Pro...looks like a proper beast... 6.5" screen, 108mp camera Snapdragon 865 processor, 12gb ram and versions with 8 & 12gb ram and 256 or 512 GB hdd.. expected price €595 ...the non pro version could be €150 cheaper...seems like they are really trying to smash the high end Samsung market..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sounds like a beast alright.

I'll assume NFC as standard these days and a notchless screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

massy086 wrote: »

Any links please to these Ali sellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Has anyone else seen the specs for the upcoming Xiaomi Mi10 Pro...looks like a proper beast... 6.5" screen, 108mp camera Snapdragon 865 processor, 12gb ram and versions with 8 & 12gb ram and 256 or 512 GB hdd.. expected price €595 ...the non pro version could be €150 cheaper...seems like they are really trying to smash the high end Samsung market..

I have the mi note 10 and am impressed,so the pro must be a devil altogether

beardo81 wrote: »
    Got refund accepted today by Eglobal through PayPal so should have it into account in a couple of days. At long last!!
    Think it took them 5/6 days to reimburse me,but they're an awful crowd,make gearbest look good and that's hard

Think it took them 5/6 days to reimburse me,but they're an awful crowd,make gearbest look good and that's hard
    I saw someone comment on another forum that eglobal are owned by global egrow (same crowd that own gearbest) but I didn't see any link to substantiate it.
    It wouldn't be that surprising as they own a ton of sites, including igogo.es which I believe was mostly taken down with the rise in popularity of eglobal regional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Anyone find a good price for the MI 9
    Preferably a european warehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

sydthebeat wrote: »
    "Global rom" has nothing to do with the lte bands

As I said. But maybe its not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

I have the mi note 10 and am impressed,so the pro must be a devil altogether

What kind of battery life are you getting from the mi note 10? How much you rate the cameras in comparison to samsung/Huawei flagships?

• Advertisement

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    What kind of battery life are you getting from the mi note 10? How much you rate the cameras in comparison to samsung/Huawei flagships?

Hi boy,day plus normal use,if im on Netflix for an hour or so etc,still getting a full day and a bit,I'm not a gamer and reckon a day and a half,but I don't let it go under 30 percent, recommended afaik,only problem personally for me is it's not wide enough ( had a mi max2ðŸ‘ðŸ‘) going to look around for a bigger / wider phone- nada yet,only bought it last few weeks ,so might have to hold onto it,,,, great amoled ,my advice go for it,size etc is my preference,no issues ref camera I'm amazed,not fantastic night mode,but the best I've experienced+ can't comment on Samsung etc,I've been a mi (3)+ Nokia( unfortunately ) man,,,,,e519 off an Irish seller on adverts, guarantee etc, decent seller

Hi, I am about to purchase a 'phone from Honourbuy. Despite it not being in the EU Direct section, it does state when I check out:'In stock- Support Shipping From EU Warehouse'. If I choose to buy this phone, a Redmi Note 8 pro 6 128gb, and choose DHL, 'EU Warehouse Express,2-5 business days Delivery by DHL Fedex GLS, without customs issue' for €25 should I be able to receive this 'phone custom and tariff free?
    Thanks.

Hi, I am about to purchase a 'phone from Honourbuy. Despite it not being in the EU Direct section, it does state when I check out:'In stock- Support Shipping From EU Warehouse'. If I choose to buy this phone, a Redmi Note 8 pro 6 128gb, and choose DHL, 'EU Warehouse Express,2-5 business days Delivery by DHL Fedex GLS, without customs issue' for €25 should I be able to receive this 'phone custom and tariff free?
    Thanks.

AFAIK yes

AFAIK yes

Thanks. I got onto Honourbuy support and they confirmed the stock is in their EU depot so I made the purchase and the order is being prepared in their EU warehouse at this moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Might have to replace my phone sadly. Anyone seen any absolute bargains for around €100 - €150?

Toxica wrote: »
    So, I was expecting my phone from Honorbuy to be delivered today, I'm in Cork and it arrived in Cork yesterday and was due to be delivered today, I checked the tracking this morning and now it's saying it's in Dublin! It was shipped with Fedex so I tried calling them with the tracking number Honorbuy gave me but they're saying my tracking number is too long. Anyone else had this problem before???

Has it arrived yet?

fixXxer wrote: »
    Might have to replace my phone sadly. Anyone seen any absolute bargains for around €100 - €150?
    As well as the Redmi Note 8,
    If you aren't in a hurry, the 4Gb + 128GB versions of the Motorola One Action and the Realme 5 were both below €140 in the past while on amazon spain, and might drop again soon.
    It would bring them to the higher end of your budget including delivery, but still an excellent price for either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody still using and loving their Mi Max 3? I am, best phone I ever bought. Whats the current king of giant phablets though? I haven't looked in a year...

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Anybody still using and loving their Mi Max 3? I am, best phone I ever bought. Whats the current king of giant phablets though? I haven't looked in a year...

Sold my mi max 2 Xmas, need another big phone,as good, Android,limited choice,bought a new phone but can't get used to the smaller screen

Advertisement