Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I see the Xiaomi Mi 10 (Pro) was released there today. Some camera on it. Anyone gonna go for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I see the Xiaomi Mi 10 (Pro) was released there today. Some camera on it. Anyone gonna go for it?

It's more expensive than was mooted a few months ago....will wait for some proper reviews and for the Oneplus 8 to land, and then make a decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

The_B_Man wrote: »

Same 108 mp as on mi note 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

That's true. DxoMark still rates it higher. Presumably better software. I wonder will those software optimisations be back ported to the Mi Note 10.

Mi 10 pro is in short supply, Coronavirus has put paid to it for a while.... Xiaomi are saying that approx 40% of the initial purchases were people migrating from other brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Mi 10 pro is in short supply, Coronavirus has put paid to it for a while.... Xiaomi are saying that approx 40% of the initial purchases were people migrating from other brands.

I wonder is it a matter of time before their prices start to creep up now that they are into the flagship killers. Like how OnePlus went

BKWDR wrote: »
    I wonder is it a matter of time before their prices start to creep up now that they are into the flagship killers. Like how OnePlus went

You're right another year or so and mi phones especially too end will increase big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You're right another year or so and mi phones especially too end will increase big time

And then we all just move on to the next new brand.

Too end Mi 10 pro was supposed to be €599 according to press releases...it's actually about €799.. we're at that point now I think..

Too end Mi 10 pro was supposed to be €599 according to press releases...it's actually about €799.. we're at that point now I think..

They generally are as good if not better than others costing e200 + more but the gap has narrowed in the last 2/ 3 years,India expanding ( new economy) etc makes it easier for xiaomi to increase prices

• Advertisement

They generally are as good if not better than others costing e200 + more but the gap has narrowed in the last 2/ 3 years,India expanding ( new economy) etc makes it easier for xiaomi to increase prices

I'm still going to wait for the Oneplus 8, it's reported release date of early May has reportedly been brought forward to late March...I'm expecting big things from this....I still use the Oneplus 6 and it's still almost as good as the day I bought it 18 plus moths ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I'm still going to wait for the Oneplus 8, it's reported release date of early May has reportedly been brought forward to late March...I'm expecting big things from this....I still use the Oneplus 6 and it's still almost as good as the day I bought it 18 plus moths ago

In fairness I had the 3T for 2 years and I bought it in 2016! They last. Had iPhone and Samsung and the drop off after 18 months with battery and performance was nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Can anyone clarify if the mi 10 and the mi note 10 are different phones or the same phone. Some websites use different names etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Can anyone clarify if the mi 10 and the mi note 10 are different phones or the same phone. Some websites use different names etc
    Different phones

Different I made the mistake also,I have the mi note 10, sweet now but the mi 10 is more expensive and better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone that has been using unbox therapy 'reviews' as their decision in buying a phone, may want to look at this.

In this video Lew from Unbox Therapy unboxes and 'reviews' the Pablo Escobar Fold 2. This phone in this video is just the Samsung Galaxy Fold with some Pablo Escobar customization to it.

Now the 'Pablo Escobar fold 2' only costs 400 dollar, the normal Galaxy Fold costs 2000 dollar. This alone already makes the whole thing suspicious but there is more.
    The 'Pablo Escobar Fold 1' was just the Royole FlexPai which is another folding phone. Now this phone also got some attention because of the price. The sad thing is that nobody who ordered it has received anything.
    Now the thing is that Unbox Therapy most certainly got a lot of money (a lot) for making this video. He even shows the website where you can order it. He makes it look like it's a very good deal. Nowhere in this video in this video does he warn his viewers about this being a possible scam.
    I really hope that this gets some more attention since Unbox Therapy is one of the biggest tech reviewers.

http://escobarscam.com/

TL;DR
    Unbox Therapy obviously take payments for their 'reviews' and probably know very little about tech on any level.
    The video above shows them reviewing something that isn't what it claims, and comes from a site that doesn't deliver anything.
    Any tech that wanted a good review just needed to provide a free sample and some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Suckit wrote:
    Anyone that has been using unbox therapy 'reviews' as their decision in buying a phone, may want to look at this.

I can't stand Unbox Therapy. Somehow he's got the biggest YouTube following of the lot but when I watch his stuff all I see is a clickbaiting bullsh***er.

I can't stand Unbox Therapy. Somehow he's got the biggest YouTube following of the lot but when I watch his stuff all I see is a clickbaiting bullsh***er.
    Same as that, but now they are found out, can't imagine it will go unnoticed, but then again, who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Looking to upgrade from an S8, torn between Realme X2 Pro and OP7T.

Any recommendations on either? Or is there another one that I possibly haven't considered that is as good as those? Something powerful that holds battery charge is my main thing. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

Can I ask for advice here-I have an amazon.co.uk gift card and am going to buy a phone. I have a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite and have been doing some research online and on amazon.co.uk. The Redmi Note 8 Pro seems to be the best bang for my buck.Its going for £197 on amazon which is the top end of my budget. Ideally I'd like something a little smaller but the specs seem good on it.
    Is it the best option for me to pull the trigger on?

• Advertisement

Looking to upgrade from an S8, torn between Realme X2 Pro and OP7T.

Any recommendations on either? Or is there another one that I possibly haven't considered that is as good as those? Something powerful that holds battery charge is my main thing. Thanks in advance!

Son has the one + 7 t niceeeee

R11 wrote: »
    Can I ask for advice here-I have an amazon.co.uk gift card and am going to buy a phone. I have a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite and have been doing some research online and on amazon.co.uk. The Redmi Note 8 Pro seems to be the best bang for my buck.Its going for £197 on amazon which is the top end of my budget. Ideally I'd like something a little smaller but the specs seem good on it.
    Is it the best option for me to pull the trigger on?
    Have you looked at the realme 5 pro?

Also, I know you have amazon uk gift card, but phones are often cheaper including delivery from amazon spain and germany. So you could keep the gift card for another purchase.

Suckit wrote: »
    Have you looked at the realme 5 pro?

Just compared both on kimovil. I'm no phone expert but realme has 4gb and note 8 pro has 6gb... Would that not make it quicker? Although I see realme has a higher antutu benchmark so I presume that makes the realme quicker /better? You guys are more knowledgeable than me so which one would you go for and why?

Just compared both on kimovil. I'm no phone expert but realme has 4gb and note 8 pro has 6gb... Would that not make it quicker? Although I see realme has a higher antutu benchmark so I presume that makes the realme quicker /better? You guys are more knowledgeable than me so which one would you go for and why?
    I am guessing that this (6GB/64GB) is the version that you are looking at.
    Which works out at about €235 - €240 delivered.
    The Realme 5 Pro 8GB/128GB version is €236 delivered to Ireland (€230 delivered if you use PW/PM/AP/PC)
    The Redmi note has NFC.
    But the Realme has SnadDragon 712, better overall performance and not as prone to throttling issues the note 8 pro suffers from when gaming for example.
    The camera is better on the Realme.
    The Redmi has bigger battery - but with the realme os coming in March that may make little difference with general use.
    For me, it's the Realme 5 Pro. But to make up your own mind, look over on XDA, user opinions, development etc.
    Start with the Real Life Review on each, and look for users that have had them a while.
    Realme 5 Pro
    Redmi Note 8 Pro

I am guessing that this (6GB/64GB) is the version that you are looking at.[/URL]
    Yep, that's the one. I have a £50 amazon gift card which would bring the price down but I might go with your advice and go for the Realme. You seem way more knowledgeable than me. All I'm looking for is a quick, responsive phone with good camera, good support /updates, expandable storage which both have. Realme is slightly smaller which I like also. I can spend the £50 getting screen protector, case, wireless charger etc for the Realme.

By the way, what's amazon.es like? Does it have same warranty /returns? And does delivery take long? I don't understand Spanish so dunno how I'll navigate the site!!

By the way, what's amazon.es like? Does it have same warranty /returns? And does delivery take long? I don't understand Spanish so dunno how I'll navigate the site!!
    Yep, same warranty.
    You can just add it to your basket using the Añadir a la cesta button, and then go to basket.
    You can also translate it in Chrome.

HDMwJQU.jpg?1

Great thanks. Do you know how long delivery takes roughly?If I order today,will I get it by Friday?

Great thanks. Do you know how long delivery takes roughly?If I order today,will I get it by Friday?
    I think normal delivery takes about 7 working days.
    But you can choose a faster delivery. Often enough the faster delivery is only €2 or €3 more.

• Advertisement

I think normal delivery takes about 7 working days.
    But you can choose a faster delivery. Often enough the faster delivery is only €2 or €3 more.

yeh,its €2 extra for express shipping. I've had a quick read through the Real Life Reviews on XDA and their seems to be more "love" for the RNP8. Some people a little unhappy with camera on Realme. Had a look over on reddit and RNP8 again seems to be getting more positive reviews though the Mediatek chip is getting mixed reviews.....So ,I'm confused again!!Both seem like good phones.
    Suckit-Have you held/used both of them?

Advertisement