Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

It does I have the 64gb version and I got mine from Honorbuy. Here is the 128gb version delivery took 6 days but I ordered on Good Friday.

https://www.honorbuy.com/1744-redmi-note-8-pro-128gb-global-version-gray.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    It does I have the 64gb version and I got mine from Honorbuy. Here is the 128gb version delivery took 6 days but I ordered on Good Friday.

https://www.honorbuy.com/1744-redmi-note-8-pro-128gb-global-version-gray.html

Thank you! 6 days is perfect for delivery time. Gonna buy it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I ordered the Realme 5 Pro last night from Amazon ES. Currently using the Samsung A50. Found the phone quite laggy so hoping the jump from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM might solve some of those issues.

Anybody with a Realme 5 Pro any tips/tricks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Bought a Redmi Note 9s 6gb/128gb yesterday! :)

Anyone have any experience with them, before mines delivered? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Bought a Redmi Note 9s 6gb/128gb yesterday! :)

Anyone have any experience with them, before mines delivered? :)
    Great choice, well I got my missus the Note 8 Pro which is excellent so this should only be an improvement with its Snapdragon + battery size. The style of the 9S is lovely too, esp. the side fingerprint, pin hole front camera and the camera position on the back.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    Great choice, well I got my missus the Note 8 Pro which is excellent so this should only be an improvement with its Snapdragon + battery size. The style of the 9S is lovely too, esp. the side fingerprint, pin hole front camera and the camera position on the back.

Brilliant, looking forward to getting it now! :)
    Coming from a Nokia 8.1 so small improvements across the board, but a huge improvement on battery life, camera setup, RAM, ROM, and memory access speed!

I've no experience of MIUI though, coming from Android One, I'm a little apprehensive :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Coming from a Nokia 8.1 so small improvements across the board, but a huge improvement on battery life, camera setup, RAM, ROM, and memory access speed!

I've no experience of MIUI though, coming from Android One, I'm a little apprehensive :eek:
    Well that will be a worthy upgrade I promise!

MIUI is not what it used to be, its very polished and easy to configure. There will be some bloat but 95% of it can be disabled or removed. Most of the work can be done with a stock launcher (I recommend Lawnchair or Nova). Then for everything else, you can do the following. 10 mins work and a perfect phone.

https://www.androidauthority.com/remove-ads-xiaomi-miui-1019139/

advertsfox wrote: »
    Well that will be a worthy upgrade I promise!

MIUI is not what it used to be, its very polished and easy to configure. There will be some bloat but 95% of it can be disabled or removed. Most of the work can be done with a stock launcher (I recommend Lawnchair or Nova). Then for everything else, you can do the following. 10 mins work and a perfect phone.

https://www.androidauthority.com/remove-ads-xiaomi-miui-1019139/

Ah great, I already use Nova, so that's probably half the battle :)

Thanks for the info too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Might be wrong place but anyone find a 'small' android device anywhere, in terms of small, im talking about less than 135mm in length

• Subscribers Posts: 41,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bidiots wrote: »
    Might be wrong place but anyone find a 'small' android device anywhere, in terms of small, im talking about less than 135mm in length

loads:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d+screenSize.6.3,f_max_d+sizeHeightMm.134,f_doba+slug.android,f_min_dobr+value.13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Suckit wrote: »
    €219 Realme 5 Pro 8GB+128GB - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07YN2NPCR/
    or
    €178.57 Realme 5 Pro 4GB+128GB - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07YN2NPD4/

Both great prices + shipping.

Took the plunge on the 8GB one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Boooourns wrote: »
    Took the plunge on the 8GB one.

Same. Ordered it last night and was dispatched first thing this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's annoying at the start ( miui skin) I disable the mi browser in favour of Google, otherwise they're grand

It's annoying at the start ( miui skin) I disable the mi browser in favour of Google, otherwise they're grand

Good call, Chrome is the way to go for sure!

Think I'll unlock the BL and root it out of the box too.
    Might put on that xiaomi.eu ROM with it custom tweaks looks cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Good call, Chrome is the way to go for sure!

Think I'll unlock the BL and root it out of the box too.
    Might put on that xiaomi.eu ROM with it custom tweaks looks cool.

I've the global version m note 10,had a redmi,mi max2 no issues, sold the mi max 2 for e100 Christmas, fairly bullet proof phones

I've the global version m note 10,had a redmi,mi max2 no issues, sold the mi max 2 for e100 Christmas, fairly bullet proof phones

Great, I'm sure to enjoy it when it gets here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I've the mi a1 the past few years and has done the job, thinking of upgrading with a budget of around €300. What would be peoples preference.

sydthebeat wrote: »

Still nothing with current spec's around the 135 to 140mm size. This Phablet size is nuts, today compact is still 150mm which is huge....I thought there might be a Realme or Xiaomi with decent spec yet around the 135mm size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Still nothing with current spec's around the 135 to 140mm size. This Phablet size is nuts, today compact is still 150mm which is huge....I thought there might be a Realme or Xiaomi with decent spec yet around the 135mm size

Being talked about quite a lot recently. There's no big demand for small sized phones. There was one or two Sony models which were small. Run the sizes through Kimovil and see what options you get.

what current specs are you looking for??
    you wont get flagship specs at 5"

A phone like the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact from 2 years ago is still better than the current mid range redmis like the redmi note 8 from 5 months ago.

the better the camera you want, and the bigger the battery you want... the bigger the phone will have to be.

if you wanted to go a little bit larger than the 140mm to 142 mm then the Samsung Galaxy S10e could be an option

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what current specs are you looking for??
    you wont get flagship specs at 5"

A phone like the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact from 2 years ago is still better than the current mid range redmis like the redmi note 8 from 5 months ago.

the better the camera you want, and the bigger the battery you want... the bigger the phone will have to be.

if you wanted to go a little bit larger than the 140mm to 142 mm then the Samsung Galaxy S10e could be an option

Thanks for the feedback gents. It's been a long time since I perused the Chinese offerings.

I understand that the 'demand' is for 5.5inch plus which is fine and all, but I'd wager that a full screen 135mm phone would be a game changer.

There are a few issues - socially, we are glued to a phone screen most of the day. This will have to change, but these big screens lure our attention, its just not healthy. Slightly smaller screen might help in this regard

Price - It's become the norm that Flagships are the same price as a high end 55inch Tv! Even the chinese offerings, flagships, are 400 odd. This is nuts.

Pockets - phablets just do not fit comfortably, when you consider you need to protect them with cases etc, ergonomically it's nuts.
    Flagship spec's - where does it end. The best chip, best camera, best screen....all improvements are minuscule in terms of actual overall user impact. Battery life was the holy grail but now that seems to be solved with Warp charging etc

I have had the S10e, while there are a lot of positives about the phone, I just do not like Samsung phones which is odd as I remember been so excited about the S3 and pre ordering etc!
    I have had the Pixel 3A, which was a far better experience than the S10e, far cheaper too, but still 'huge'.

So, as has been said, the best option I have is to purchase the Sony XZ2 Compact, from China, can't be found here without paying silly money. Cheers for the help anyway, old man rant over!

Flagship phones are WAY more than 400 odd. The new xiaomi mi 10 Pro is twice that

Phones do a lot more these days, so perhaps work out what you want your phone to do and work back from there.

A 2 year old compact might be the ideal phone for you

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Realme X2 Pro would have been considered flagship when it was released and started at 400 however that's the cheapest flagship you were gonna get. Like @sydthebeat said, the mi 10 Pro is twice that so personally, I wouldn't call 400 crazy money for a flagship but each to their own. The days of compact phones are over I think

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Just saw this in my recommended news:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2020/04/30/exclusive-warning-over-chinese-mobile-giant-xiaomi-recording-millions-of-peoples-private-web-and-phone-use/

Food for thought? Not calling on people to stop buying Chinese phones (realme user myself) but it'd be interesting to see how it all turns out. Personally I'd say Google and other companies are just as bad for taking information, they're just better at hiding it.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Just saw this in my recommended news:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2020/04/30/exclusive-warning-over-chinese-mobile-giant-xiaomi-recording-millions-of-peoples-private-web-and-phone-use/

Food for thought? Not calling on people to stop buying Chinese phones (realme user myself) but it'd be interesting to see how it all turns out. Personally I'd say Google and other companies are just as bad for taking information, they're just better at hiding it.

In my opinion, I pretty much agree with your final sentence.

There are many articles already about the covert data harvesting that Samsung and apple do as well. The big issue with xiaomi is that the data is accessible by the Chinese government by law.

Personally, I don't work for the secret service or any agency where this would be considered being compromised, so really I don't give crap. I'm not researching how to make bombs or create biological weapons, and if I were, I'd like to think there is someone in the background watching out for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Bought Redmi Note 9S - Global; 6GB; 128GB last night for my wife, slightly on impulse.
    Looks like a good phone, and was coming up on Kimovil as on offer for €166 which seemed like a very good price.

Hoping it arrives and is as good a bargain as it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Bought Redmi Note 9S - Global; 6GB; 128GB last night for my wife, slightly on impulse.
    Looks like a good phone, and was coming up on Kimovil as on offer for €166 which seemed like a very good price.

Hoping it arrives and is as good a bargain as it seems.

Where did you buy it from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

GBX wrote: »
    Where did you buy it from ?

Sorry, DHgate.com
    I'd never heard of them, but seem legit and I (maybe wrongly) trusted the link from Kimovil

https://www.kimovil.com/to/special/aBhW96
    Discount Code: DHgate9S1

I've bought from dhgate before, mainly jerseys and footwear etc. No problems, but never bought an electronic device

• Advertisement

DHGate is fine, to me they are another aliexpress type wholesaler, fairly legit.

Advertisement