Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000142999795.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.hotSpots_1084014226.0

I just bought on 2nd May . Don't have full tracking yet . Will let you know when it arrives .
    HG Goldway are my favourite sellers and communication is easy with them .
    Good to hear for future purchases,as eglobal and Gearbest are cruel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Good to hear for future purchases,as eglobal and Gearbest are cruel

HK Goldway been spoken about on this forum for quite a long time. Very good to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000142999795.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.hotSpots_1084014226.0

I just bought on 2nd May . Don't have full tracking yet . Will let you know when it arrives .
    HG Goldway are my favourite sellers and communication is easy with them .

Are you likely to get hit with customs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Are you likely to get hit with customs?

Of course it can be selected for Customs . There is an option to buy through EU , but I didn't see it at the time . Cost an extra 50 euro for standard item only .

Here is one review for a customer bought via EU :
    Very fast shipping and receiving. The phone is shipped from Germany via UPS and arrives quickly (6 days) despite the coronavirus + a holiday. Only downside: the communication with the seller who answers 4 days later to a question 05 May 2020 05:50

If buying in Eu , France and Spain are the options and this is what Ali say :
    Notice: Because the system limit, parcel from France warehouse may display shipping from Germany. Please do not worry, it is normal, you will get the item you bid without any problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Anybody know if this is good value and if its a official xiaomi store?

That is not xiaomi,s official site

• Advertisement

Just went for the redmi 8 pro, upgrading from mi a1

massy086 wrote: »
    That is not xiaomi,s official site

Never used them. There an Irish seller who own the Xiaomi.ie web address is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Be really interested to see how you get on. I have the mi a1 also. It's still going great in fairness but I'm thinking if a change. The 8 pro, realme 5 pro or the new realme 6 are the ones I'm looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Some differences for me when you compare Realme 5 Pro to Xiaomi Note 8 pro .
    Xiaomi wins for me with better camera , better battery and Nfc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Where did you buy from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Edwaybuy seem to be growing quickly, like eglobal - out of nowhere.
    They are selling the Realme X2 Pro 8GB/128GB for €389 now
    https://gb.edwaybuy.com/realme-x2-pro-global-version-8g-128g.html

Jolla also on offer 40% for some of the sony xperia series
    https://shop.jolla.com/

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Be really interested to see how you get on. I have the mi a1 also. It's still going great in fairness but I'm thinking if a change. The 8 pro, realme 5 pro or the new realme 6 are the ones I'm looking at.

Yes I said the same, my a1 is great but fancied a change. Will give my wife the a1 as she's broke her a2

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Where did you buy from?

Honorbuy. €255 including delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lads has anyone had any issues with the Redmi note 8 and Vodafone PAYG? Missus reckons it's swallowing credit on her and she hasn't been making calls etc. Any native apps running that could cause this?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Lads has anyone had any issues with the Redmi note 8 and Vodafone PAYG? Missus reckons it's swallowing credit on her and she hasn't been making calls etc. Any native apps running that could cause this?

Does she have a plan on her PAYG? Could be data? It's quite costly one you're out of bundle allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭corkie

Double check 'Google Play' has auto update for apps turned off. And manually update when your on unlimited wifi?

Install an app to see what is using up data.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radioopt.widget

Also check MIUI settings for automatic system updates that could plow through data quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

corkie wrote: »
    Double check 'Google Play' has auto update for apps turned off. And manually update when your on unlimited wifi?

Install an app to see what is using up data.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radioopt.widget
    Thanks lads. Its payg. 20 a month she normally puts in. Id imagine its apps updating on mobile data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Anybody order from any Chinese sellers within the last month? Are there major delays? Or issues shipping to Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check her bill. Have seen lots of people clicking links that to get silly emoji's for free, and if you don't cancel you get a contract that bills you €7.50 a week.

Also check she's not receiving premium texts. They seem to have jumped up during lockdown. Gomo seems to have got hit pretty hard by them. Lots of people complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Suckit wrote: »
    Also check she's not receiving premium texts. They seem to have jumped up during lockdown. Gomo seems to have got hit pretty hard by them. Lots of people complaining.
    Is she on vf pay as you go if so check her apn setting. they will be set to the hotspot address and vf will be charging her for tethering. you will need to change the setting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and bought a Redmi Note 8 Pro 128gb in Grey (wanted white, but whatever...) from honorbuy. 250 all in including delivery and a 5 euro discount which was applied via honey.

Updating from a Redmi note 5, which while in still perfect working condition was annoying me with no NFC etc and little storage. (32gb version from Three...). My daughter will make use of the note 5.

Arrived just there. Brilliant delivery time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

What stores have EU shipping? Looking at the Note 8 Pro for herself but honorbuy(my old reliables) don't have it in stock

edit: https://www.amazon.de/Xiaomi-Smartphone-interner-Vierfach-KI-R%C3%BCckkamera-Selfie-Frontkamera/dp/B07Y8YWTFL/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=note%2B8%2Bpro&qid=1589274008&sr=8-3&th=1

Should I presume that this has NFC and Google Pay will work?

bidiots wrote: »
    What stores have EU shipping? Looking at the Note 8 Pro for herself but honorbuy(my old reliables) don't have it in stock

edit: https://www.amazon.de/Xiaomi-Smartphone-interner-Vierfach-KI-R%C3%BCckkamera-Selfie-Frontkamera/dp/B07Y8YWTFL/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=note%2B8%2Bpro&qid=1589274008&sr=8-3&th=1

I bought the note 8 pro from honorbuy. It's the 128gb version. Has NFC on it.

bidiots wrote: »

Yes its in the description in German but translated its "Multifunctional NFC, supports Google Pay"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I bought the note 8 pro from honorbuy. It's the 128gb version. Has NFC on it.

Its not in stock at the moment, thanks though

Actually just checked again and its back in stock. But the amazon german price is pretty good too, i have a few sd cards lying around so can up that if needed

Mi Note 8 Pro 6GB/64GB is on ebay for €171 using code PFIFFIGER
    It seems to be free shipping to Ireland. I didn't double check.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/392704243473
    If the code doesn't work, try changing country to Germany
    Steps
    Go on your ebay account and go to account settings
    Then on left hand menu go to addresses and change Registration address to Germany (do not change delivery address)
    You should get a message congratulating on your move to Germany and then click submit
    Then browse on the site and see what you want to buy, when you know and have the product page - amend the url to ebay.de (instead of .ie)
    Add to basket and choose paypal
    Use code ‘PFIFFIGER’ at checkout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Mine should be arriving Monday. If you've questions, feel free to ask.
    How you getting on with the new phone very tempted to hit go on it

Where would I buy a plug that has fast charging capabilities? I only have v old plug heads here and none of them work properly anymore and only received the two pin plug

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In the meantime you could use that plug with a travel adaptor, if you have it, it should work. Otherwise Dealz/Euro Giant, sometimes larger supermarkets (Tesco, especially) would have them.

Advertisement