Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

kingstevii wrote: »
    Ordered 9 pro on the 1st from eglobal central. Dispatched today.. 3rd phone I've bought off them.. Haven't had the hassle
    Some seen to have had..

Arrived this morning.. Ordered on the 1st June, arrived this morning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

This finally arrived today, after ordering 13th May.
    Which actually isn't too bad, but felt like forever. First impressions are all positive.

Oh, and no customs. Marked on outside of package as value $18.00 ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mrtom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

mrtom wrote: »
    Looking at 2 Chinese phones (Aliexpress) offering great spec and cant make up my mind:
    Smartphone A91 MTK6799 Deca Core Cellphone 6.7inch HD+Water Drop Screen Mobile phone 4GLTE 5G 8GB+512GB Camera 13MP+24MP. Battery: 4800Mah $78.80 No brand name though.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000917211996.html
    or
    UMIDIGI A7 Pro Quad Camera Andriod 10 OS 6.3" FHD+. 4GB+64GB version. Triple rear camera: 16MP+16MP+5MP+5MP.Battery: 4150 mAh. $99.00
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000938839789.html
    Any advice ?
    I am guessing the A91 started life as a clone of the Samsung A91 or the Oppo A91. Either way, I am guessing it will have a lot of issues and likely drive you nuts if you plan on using it as a main phone. But shows and example of how cheap they can make them.

The Umidigi is OOS on amazon, but due back on 1st of July, and showing as £140 (€154). It is a fair bit more (even if you include customs and handling), but it would be covered by amazon should anything go wrong. It is a decent price though from aliexpress.

There are probably better options shipped from amazon Spain or Germany imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

mrtom wrote: »

Read the 1 star review on the A91, looks awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Definitley would not be buying a clone. UMIDIGI are an OK brand. They are ok for the money.

The Meizu X8 or the Lenovo S5 Pro would both be better choices for a similar price. Maybe an extra $20 - $30.
    Personally, I don't think I would look for the best spec under $120ish, I would look for the best made.
    Umidigi one might be ok, Xiaomi 8 or 8A or the Realme C3 or 5i may all be better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

orm0nd wrote: »
    ordered off them last night, so hopefully early next week, always used honorbuy, but they seem to be low on stock

EDIT

discount coupons

https://en.techreviewer.de/edwaybuy-coupon/#cp-code-3

Ordered the Note 8T using the coupon for €142, seems reasonable so thanks for that link.

My Redmi 5 plus gave in last week after 2 years. It was flying along, no issues whatsoever with it then it got stuck on the logo. I done the power and volume up and got it going again, but kept turning off every so often and had to keep repeating that until it just stopped altogether. I was hoping to get a bit longer out of it and would of maybe expected it to slow down or something but disappointed it just went flat out. Looking forward to getting this one anyway and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mrtom

Suckit wrote: »
    The Meizu X8 or the Lenovo S5 Pro would both be better choices for a similar price. Maybe an extra $20 - $30.
    Personally, I don't think I would look for the best spec under $120ish, I would look for the best made.
    Umidigi one might be ok, Xiaomi 8 or 8A or the Realme C3 or 5i may all be better options.

Sound advice here...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Looking at buying the redmi note 8 pro 128gb on honorbuy (€232)but shipping costs coming in at either €53 or €63. Where is best place price to buy this from that wont be waiting months on delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

mjp wrote: »
    Looking at buying the redmi note 8 pro 128gb on honorbuy (€232)but shipping costs coming in at either €53 or €63. Where is best place price to buy this from that wont be waiting months on delivery?

https://www.edwaybuy.com/redmi-note-8-pro.html

I havent bought from here yet but others have and got it within a few days. $236.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Amazon Germany will be do it for €228 delivered.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07YB7NLY7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A6N6HQIZC7ZVT&psc=1

GBX wrote: »
    https://www.edwaybuy.com/redmi-note-8-pro.html

I havent bought from here yet but others have and got it within a few days. $236.99

Cheers for that. Looking for it in grey and have all the others colours bar grey. Typical !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭cullenswood

So would the Redmi 9 Note Pro be the best bang for buck in that price range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

amazon Spain or Italy

smilerf wrote: »
    amazon Spain or Italy

Thanks. Ordered off banggood today for €216 delivered.

Ordered a phone last Friday on Edwaybuy and It was posted as expected on the Monday in Germany. It's now in the UK , Castle Donington ''Held in Warehouse, UPS is holding the cargo at a secure facility, pending instructions and agreement.''
    Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

derra wrote: »
    Ordered a phone last Friday on Edwaybuy and It was posted as expected on the Monday in Germany. It's now in the UK , Castle Donington ''Held in Warehouse, UPS is holding the cargo at a secure facility, pending instructions and agreement.''
    Anyone else in the same boat?
    Do Edwaybuy put put the actual price on the outside, or do they state that it's a "gift" for some nominal low price?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭ra0044

Just make sure that you chose a product that states that it ships from the EU warehouse. There aren't actually many that do. All other items ship from China and the risk is always there that you will pay import duty.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do Edwaybuy put put the actual price on the outside, or do they state that it's a "gift" for some nominal low price?

Not sure if they do or not. Is it necessary if shipping from Germany?
    ra0044 wrote: »
    Just make sure that you chose a product that states that it ships from the EU warehouse. There aren't actually many that do. All other items ship from China and the risk is always there that you will pay import duty.

It definitely shipped from Germany according to the tracking.

Still hasn't been updated all day, still same message '' Held in Warehouse

UPS is holding the cargo at a secure facility, pending instructions and agreement. ''

Not sure whether to contact UPS regarding it, if there is some kind of fee i don't wanna be landed with it. I would be better off saying nothing and see what happens. If it needs to be sent back then i get a refund off PayPal I'd imagine?

Just got an update and delivery has been changed to Tuesday, so will see what happens with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

derra wrote: »
    Not sure if they do or not. Is it necessary if shipping from Germany?

It definitely shipped from Germany according to the tracking.

Still hasn't been updated all day, still same message '' Held in Warehouse

UPS is holding the cargo at a secure facility, pending instructions and agreement. ''

Not sure whether to contact UPS regarding it, if there is some kind of fee i don't wanna be landed with it. I would be better off saying nothing and see what happens. If it needs to be sent back then i get a refund off PayPal I'd imagine?

Just got an update and delivery has been changed to Tuesday, so will see what happens with that.

I ordered off them late on Thursday and it was delivered on Wednesday also from Germany.

No fees payable . didn't pay too much attention to the box but I think just my details and the sender's.

It should arrive ok

orm0nd wrote: »
    I ordered off them late on Thursday and it was delivered on Wednesday also from Germany.

No fees payable . didn't pay too much attention to the box but I think just my details and the sender's.

It should arrive ok

Yeah am sure it be fine, i been using a 3310 since last Friday though, that's why i am more anxious to get my hands on it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Anyone ever run into issues with Hong Kong Goldway on Ali. An Post are sending it back to Germany due to an issue with the address. Won't let me redirect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Coolhandloopz

Placed an order on edwaybuy a couple of weeks for the realme x2 but but it was out of stock in the white a few days later so it cost me €10 PayPal currency conversion! Quick response time from their customer service and the refund was painless!!
    Then on Thursday, I got lucky with a big win on a golf bet and so decided to splash out on the Realme X50 pro player edition 12gb RAM with their Air Neo earphones for €522 all in through AliExpress. Here's hoping to import fee free fast delivery!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Thinking of switching to Xiaomi for the first time. Was looking at buying the Redmi Note 9 Pro from either honorbuy or edwaybuy and was wondering what the difference between the global and EU version is? If they're basically the same thing would go with honorbuy as the 128GB version is only €255 on there compared to €293 on edwaybuy.

Also is there anything I should be careful of when purchasing from these sites? Not delivering to Ireland, using PayPal to be safe etc.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just realised honorbuy price didn't include the price to avoid customs.

gazump123 wrote: »
    Thinking of switching to Xiaomi for the first time. Was looking at buying the Redmi Note 9 Pro from either honorbuy or edwaybuy and was wondering what the difference between the global and EU version is? If they're basically the same thing would go with honorbuy as the 128GB version is only €255 on there compared to €293 on edwaybuy.

Also is there anything I should be careful of when purchasing from these sites? Not delivering to Ireland, using PayPal to be safe etc.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just realised honorbuy price didn't include the price to avoid customs.

Yeah folks how much should we expect to pay customs and along with DHL delivery tax, cheers!

If you order from an EU warehouse, or from an Aliexpress seller that says customs paid, then you should expect no extra charges. Same applies if you purchase from any of the other sites and choose their EU Priority shipping. On some sites you have the option to take tariff insurance and ship from China/HK, which means that if the item does get stopped and you get billed, you will get the customs fee back but not the handling fee.

You can use this site to calculate the vat due on your item - https://www.calculatevat.net/

Add €10 for handling with an post and €15 for DHL. I am not sure of the handling charges for the others (UPS, Fedex etc), but should be somewhere around that price.

Suckit wrote: »
    If you order from an EU warehouse, or from an Aliexpress seller that says customs paid, then you should expect no extra charges. Same applies if you purchase from any of the other sites and choose their EU Priority shipping. On some sites you have the option to take tariff insurance and ship from China/HK, which means that if the item does get stopped and you get billed, you will get the customs fee back but not the handling fee.

You can use this site to calculate the vat due on your item -

Add €10 for handling with an post and €15 for DHL. I am not sure of the handling charges for the others (UPS, Fedex etc), but should be somewhere around that price.

Thanks for that!! I reckon I'll be charged an €130 on top of the €520 I paid to aliexpress! Still cheaper than
    a trading shenzen EU warehouse delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just a question for people that bought phones with mediatek processors recently is there any issues with GPS anymore? as I know they had this in the past looking at a few phones and they have mediatek processors so just want to make sure it's a non issue now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

blackwave wrote: »
    Just a question for people that bought phones with mediatek processors recently is there any issues with GPS anymore? as I know they had this in the past looking at a few phones and they have mediatek processors so just want to make sure it's a non issue now.

Last one I had was grand, the new chipset is much better.

Advertisement