Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭blackwave

Are Edwaybuy genuine? Trying to setup an Account on Amazon.it but it's a pain.

Bought from them as well and no issues :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Im sure its been asked a million times before, can anyone point me in the direction of some advice on getting google apps on my new Huawei.

If thats not allowed thats no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads I've decided to get a Redmi 9 from Amazon.es instead of the Realme 5 because it has NFC and an IR blaster which will allow me to use it as a remote control for my Android Box.

The problem is the Redmi 9 is capable of 18w fast charging but only comes with a 2 pin 10w charger and that is not suitable for Ireland.

Rather than buy a 10w charger or use an adapter, where can I buy a suitable 18w charger for it. I've looked on www.mi.com but there's no chargers available apart from a power bank.

I'll also need a Protective case for it. Ive never used a case on a phone before so I've no idea what's good or bad. If someone could recommend one I'd appreciate it thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Before I go ahead and order from Amazon is there any difference in delivery times or return policy between Amazon.es and Amazon.it etc.

I normally would buy from Amazon.uk if available and if prices were the same.

A couple of the phones I'm interested in are available on Amazon.uk but are €20+ dearer. Would it be worth signing up to Amszon prime and buying from Amaxon.uk?

Would the UK option be better considering p+p from Spain it Italy? Would they arrive quicker also?

The only thing I would keep in mind is that the UK are no longer in the EU, that might have had an effect on their return policy/ warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

The problem is the Redmi 9 is capable of 18w fast charging but only comes with a 2 pin 10w charger and that is not suitable for Ireland.

Rather than buy a 10w charger or use an adapter, where can I buy a suitable 18w charger for it. I've looked on www.mi.com but there's no chargers available apart from a power bank.

You could get an Apple 18W or an Anker 18w one.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    You could get an Apple 18W or an Anker 18w one.

Thanks, how can I check if these will charge at the full 18W?

Ive been checking prices and it might work out cheaper to just order the phones from Amazon.uk rather than Amazon.es etc because I gave to buy two phones and therefore two chargers if bought from Spain.

Do you know if phones bought from Edwaybuy come with a 3 pin plug or a 2 pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Is there an app drawer on the Mi 10. I bought one today and can't seem to find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

mr170 wrote: »
    Is there an app drawer on the Mi 10. I bought one today and can't seem to find it

What version of MIUI is it running? I think there was a test version for a while but it may have been disabled in subsequent updates.

Might be better off just installing Nova Launcher or Google Launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

@ Suckit

I was more focused on whether Edwaybuy were genuine or not than Xiaomis returns policy but its something to consider.

Are you suggesting the Redmi Note 8 Pro?
    Its on Amazon for less but the specs below say a 5000 battery but the Pro should have 4500.
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07ZMBKJ67?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

I've found these on various Amazon sites but Im finding it hard to choose between them. All have good reviews and good battery.

Realme C3 €117 3gb 64gb
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B085FF1BXQ?tag=haggle-web-it-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Realme 5 €147 4gb 128gb
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B081CZMPCG?tag=haggle-web-it-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Redmi Note 8T €161 4gb 64gb
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07ZHFYXP6?tag=haggle-web-it-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Redmi Note 9s €199 4gb 64gb
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B085WB9VRQ?tag=haggle-web-es-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Realme 6 €249 8gb 128gb
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B085FF4RD7?tag=haggle-web-it-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Be curious to see peoples opinions on this list also.

In the market for a new phone too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

fixXxer wrote: »
    What version of MIUI is it running? I think there was a test version for a while but it may have been disabled in subsequent updates.

Might be better off just installing Nova Launcher or Google Launcher.

I use Google (miui launcher is awful) using Google last 4 mi phones no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Raoul

I thought maybe someone in here would be facing the same issue. The covid contact tracing app isn't working on my redmi note 7. It is rooted too. Says to check the internet connection. I saw someone else with the same issue in one of the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

I use Google (miui launcher is awful) using Google last 4 mi phones no issues

I got the Miui 12 update and it has the app drawer it's not the best to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

So I got the realme x50 5g 120 refresh rate
    I'm not seeing any difference
    Am I doing something wrong

smilerf wrote: »
    So I got the realme x50 5g 120 refresh rate
    I'm not seeing any difference
    Am I doing something wrong

Compared to what? From what I read on Refresh rate it makes scrolling smooth and effortless but it's not really necessary.

I was considering the Realme 6 because it got great reviews partly due to its refresh rate but there are lower priced similar quality phones that have a lower rate but are almost flawless. I went with the Redmi 9 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new phone. I've been reading through this thread for ideas but there are so many to choose from with so many technical aspects than ever when comparing on kimovil or gsmarena, some of which go over my head!

I currently have a Xiaomi 5s (which was recommended here a few years ago) which is getting old now but has been great.
    whats making the decision more difficult is the phone size.
    My 5s is only 5.15" !!

I would prefer it to be on the smaller side of big. Though I guess I might have to compromise if it means a better phone option.
    Budget would be about <300 mark

Other spec that i would like:
    good performance
    V good batt life.
    fast charging
    A good camera. I would use that alot
    Good screen resolution
    128gb, 6gb ram
    extra sd slot would be a bonus

I mostly use my phone for Internet reading, taking photos, listening to podcasts/radio/music, whatsapp
    I dont use it for watching movies, games

Any suggestions would be great

mr170 wrote: »
    I got the Miui 12 update and it has the app drawer it's not the best to be honest

Feck looking forward to that ,ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

A lot of the Xiaomi phones coming with a free Xiaomi TV Stick at the moment on offers. The stick not selling as well as they hoped, it's not 4K and only 1gb of ram but it's decent. I bought one for €29 played with it and gave it to a friend of mine, newer version due out so they mist be getting rid. Worth keeping an eye out for it if buying a phone.
    I meant to post earlier with links but brought the dog for a walk and met some miscreants who had already bumped into each other and decided to get beer and a portable barbecue.. This lockdown has some good points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Folks, does anyone have any ideas on the best sub-€400 phone available at the moment?

I've been considering the OnePlus Nord, the Pixel 3a (only €329) and the forthcoming 4a.

The Xiaomi Mi 9t still looks a lot of phone for €314 on Amazon.co.uk.

I'm preferably looking for something that I can get that comes with a UK/Ire charger - I really don't want to do the whole adaptor thing.

Is there anything in the world of Chinese phones I should be considering that's available in my price bracket, with a UK/Ire charger in the box and will arrive within 14 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Folks, does anyone have any ideas on the best sub-€400 phone available at the moment?

I've been considering the OnePlus Nord, the Pixel 3a (only €329) and the forthcoming 4a.

I'm preferably looking for something that I can get that comes with a UK/Ire charger - I really don't want to do the whole adaptor thing.

Is there anything in the world of Chinese phones I should be considering that's available in my price bracket, with a UK/Ire charger in the box and will arrive within 14 days?

Short answer is no, but phone chargers are so easy to source these days I don't know why you would that that be the deciding factor?

Mi Note 10 Lite is €336 on Edwaybuy.com and if you ordered today you could well have it by the end of the week, and definitely within 14 days.

It comes with a USB so it's a simple case of just getting a plug in any of the Eurosavers or wherever if you don't already have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hi guys, could someone offer me a recommendation, I'm completely unfamiliar with the chinese phone market and really don't know where to start.

I'm not particularly fussy about the specs, I would just like a phone that's:

- Around €300
    - Has a decent battery (I currently have an S9 which dies in a matter of hours with continued use)
    - Can be used with a leapcard
    - Can be used with Google Pay
    - Has an audio jack and preferably a USB c port
    - Size wise I don't mind - just something that is comfortable to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Girlfriend coming back to Android from iPhone and I'm a bit out of the loop so looking for some recommendations. Budget is -E500 wants a fast good looking phone with good memory fingerprint sensor and facial recognition if possible and also fast delivery so nothing that will take 2-3 weeks from China. Also a good camera.

OnePlus nord

I have the realme x50 5g.
    Its 299 on amazon uk
    Brilliant phone

Its a Chinese phone and has a UK plug
    Charges in 50 minutes

Mi Note 10 Lite is €336 on Edwaybuy.com and if you ordered today you could well have it by the end of the week, and definitely within 14 days.

It comes with a USB so it's a simple case of just getting a plug in any of the Eurosavers or wherever if you don't already have one.

No good for fast charge though

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

smilerf wrote: »
    I have the realme x50 5g.
    Its 299 on amazon uk
    Brilliant phone

Its a Chinese phone and has a UK plug
    Charges in 50 minutes

That looks a great deal - how's the display on it?

That looks a great deal - how's the display on it?
    it's lcd but one of the better ones.
    120 hrz refresh too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm mulling over a new phone and I have my choice narrowed down to 2.

Both Xiaomi and even AFAIK the same chassis and screen.
    Poco F2 pro and Redmi k30 ultra.

Have been mulling over the specsheets on Kimovil and they seem apart from the processor very similar performance and nearly across all specs.

My only real must have is bootloader unlock as I'm a fan of MIUI.eu rom and other than that.
    Battery life.

My phone's usually end up ensconced in a battery case, I'd like to avoid this for a while at least with the new phone.

I know the k30 ultra is only new so noone here likely has one yet, but any info on the Poco F2 battery life will be much appreciated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm mulling over a new phone and I have my choice narrowed down to 2.

Both Xiaomi and even AFAIK the same chassis and screen.
    Poco F2 pro and Redmi k30 ultra.

Have been mulling over the specsheets on Kimovil and they seem apart from the processor very similar performance and nearly across all specs.

My only real must have is bootloader unlock as I'm a fan of MIUI.eu rom and other than that.
    Battery life.

My phone's usually end up ensconced in a battery case, I'd like to avoid this for a while at least with the new phone.

I know the k30 ultra is only new so noone here likely has one yet, but any info on the Poco F2 battery life will be much appreciated?
    Your biggest concern will be no band 20 for 4g on the k30 ultra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

massy086 wrote: »
    Your biggest concern will be no band 20 for 4g on the k30 ultra

Thanks Massy086, hadn't looked at that.
    If for nothing else other than connectivity then, looks like it's the F2 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Advertisement