Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Instead of creating a new thread I'm posting here. I have a Redmi Note 5, battery life is getting awful & charging times very long so going to replace it soon. Budget about €250, could go higher if needed.

What I want-
    - fingerprint unlocking (or similar, e.g. facial).
    - quick charging (not a deal breaker but would like it)
    - decent battery life
    - phone- at least 5.5" inch (that's current phone size). If a bit smaller, that's ok.

Main use is browsing internet, Whatsapp, the odd photo, some apps but not games.

I had a quick browse at kimovil site, noted the Redmi Note 8 Pro, Realme 6 (deal here for £185)

Any recommendations & reasons please?

Cheers,
    Pa.

Sacrilege for the Chinese phone thread but go Korean. Samsung A51 is killer value (I have it as a secondary phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

ED E wrote: »
    Sacrilege for the Chinese phone thread but go Korean. Samsung A51 is killer value (I have it as a secondary phone)

wait till you see what the m51 is bringing....if it makes it way out of india

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I guess the point of the Chinese Android Phones thread is getting a decent phone for sensible amounts of money.

There is no phone you can get that is better value with such good specs as the LG V20. 3 cameras, one wide angle, USB-C fastcharge, IR to control your telly and other equipment, fingerprint, 2K screen resolution, 4K recording capability, 64gb internal storage, and a superior sound system capable of playing high resolution audio formats. Portable media devices that can do the latter cost's in the 100's. The only modern feature it does not have is waterproof, because it has removable battery. It's big, which is the only thing I can think off that might put one off.

All for €80 + €30 total import charges.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/af/lg-v20.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=lg+v20&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200823133730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭CoBo55

AllForIt wrote: »
    I guess the point of the Chinese Android Phones thread is getting a decent phone for sensible amounts of money.

There is no phone you can get that is better value with such good specs as the LG V20. 3 cameras, one wide angle, USB-C fastcharge, IR to control your telly and other equipment, fingerprint, 2K screen resolution, 4K recording capability, 64gb internal storage, and a superior sound system capable of playing high resolution audio formats. Portable media devices that can do the latter cost's in the 100's. The only modern feature it does not have is waterproof, because it has removable battery. It's big, which is the only thing I can think off that might put one off.

All for €80 + €30 total import charges.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/af/lg-v20.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=lg+v20&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200823133730
    The seller reviews aren't great it looks like they're used phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Pulled the trigger on this today. Fed up of contracts and mega money phones. Hope I don't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads I have a Realme x50 5g
    Great phone but the USB cable is too short and it won't fast charge using my longer cables

Is there any specific cable I need
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Pulled the trigger on this today. Fed up of contracts and mega money phones. Hope I don't regret it.

Nice. How much was it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

GBX wrote: »
    Nice. How much was it ?

Good luck with it

GBX wrote: »
    Nice. How much was it ?

It comes with a condom case and a glass protector already fitted. I bought a wallet case. Whole lot including delivery was €325

Just as a by-the-way, I'm using a gomo card to see how it works out. So far it's been excellent. 4g is much better and faster than 3. Wont be changing my number over just yet but so far it's very promising, plus you can use your phone as a hotspot without penalties, unlike 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The seller reviews aren't great it looks like they're used phones.

Mine was in perfect condition, even came with the original box and LG fast charger. They are not brand new, if they were, the'd cost a lot more.

I would much rather buy a good well known brand even if it's a refurub, than buy a €300 - €500 mid range phone of today. Even mid-range prices these days for me are ridiculous, no mind the top end prices. I hardly ever spent that much on a laptop.

I find if you have an issue with a product sold on ae.com, they have a very good dispute facility that is dealt with promptly and fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭dball

smilerf wrote: »
    Great phone but the USB cable is too short and it won't fast charge using my longer cables

Thanks

i haven't been able to get a rapid charge on my android since the latest update, not sure if that helps but it might not be the phone

mine is axiaomi a2 lite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

smilerf wrote: »
    Thanks
    The USB-C is a bit confusing, but most sellers now will mention the phone

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Realme+X50+5G+USB-C&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭dball

dball wrote: »
    i haven't been able to get a rapid charge on my android since the latest update, not sure if that helps but it might not be the phone

mine is axiaomi a2 lite

In saying that, i got an update from Android this morning and there seems to be a rapid charging notice back.

All good again. i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Have the redmi note 8 pro and looking to see if it has wi fi calling and how i activate it. Seems to be saying online that it does and that it's acessed through settings>sim card and mobile networks but can't find anything there.

Can anyone with this phone share with me how I access this or if it's available

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

I've the 8T, if you go into the Sim card options and select your provider (Vodafone in my case), it should be at the bottom of the page that opens.

mjp wrote: »
    Have the redmi note 8 pro and looking to see if it has wi fi calling and how i activate it. Seems to be saying online that it does and that it's acessed through settings>sim card and mobile networks but can't find anything there.

Can anyone with this phone share with me how I access this or if it's available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Hello all,

I have a MI A1 two sim phone for the last while having bought it due to it been recommended on here a few years back. Delighted with it overall as it's a nice size in the hand, great battery and never gave any problems

Anyway; after one fall too many!!! the camera will no longer focus so I would like to replace it.

I'd like to pay no more than approx €250 for a replacement which must be able to take two SIM cards. GoMo personal sim for calls and hot spot to laptop and Vodafone for work calls only.
    I mainly use the phone for web browsing, the odd picture/video and Whats App / Viber.

I'd be most grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

islanderre wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have a MI A1 two sim phone for the last while having bought it due to it been recommended on here a few years back. Delighted with it overall as it's a nice size in the hand, great battery and never gave any problems

Anyway; after one fall too many!!! the camera will no longer focus so I would like to replace it.

I'd like to pay no more than approx €250 for a replacement which must be able to take two SIM cards. GoMo personal sim for calls and hot spot to laptop and Vodafone for work calls only.
    I mainly use the phone for web browsing, the odd picture/video and Whats App / Viber.

Thanks.

You don't need to pay that much. I'm using a Redmi 9 which I find great.

I don't use it in the way your planning to though. I've heard that using using the phone as a Hotspot wears out the phone.

You don't have to use a hotspot. Just connect your phone via USB and go into your phone settings and do it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Thanks.

My partner has a Realme 6 with two PAYG sim cards and both working well. €200–220.

• Advertisement

Don Imac2 wrote: »
    My partner has a Realme 6 with two PAYG sim cards and both working well. €200–220.

Said to be a great phone. Just seen yesterday that the Realme 7 is out now so you might be able to get the Realme 6 for reduced price in a few days. It has gotten great reviews.

Thanks for all the replies folks.... Much appreciated.....
    I'll look the recommend phones on Sunday and hopefully order Monday...

Thanks again

You don't need to pay that much. I'm using a Redmi 9 which I find great.

I don't use it in the way your planning to though. I've heard that using using the phone as a Hotspot wears out the phone.

Thanks stockshares......
    It would average one or twice a week on hotspot for an hour or so.....
    Not continuous

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

dedaw wrote: »
    I've the 8T, if you go into the Sim card options and select your provider (Vodafone in my case), it should be at the bottom of the page that opens.

Cheers. Unfortunately it doesn't show up for me in sim card options. I'm with Vodafone aswell but am on pay as you go contract and from looking online it seems that it's only available with certain bill pay plans which is a balls. Will confirm that with one of their reps over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Is anyone going to buy the MI 10 pro? It's looks a beast of a phone. I'm debating whether to buy it or not.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mr170 wrote: »
    Is anyone going to buy the MI 10 pro? It's looks a beast of a phone. I'm debating whether to buy it or not.

I'm debating it as an upgrade to my poco f1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

mr170 wrote: »

Is it not dual sim or is that just the UK model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I smashed the screen on my 3year old Redmi 4 early today :( I'm very pissed off because it was still perfect and would have lasted another 2years.
    Now I'm looking at Redmi Note 8 vs Note 9. Is Note 9 worth extra money? I'm not crazy about the screen size but those two seemed to be rated the highest for value for money on Kimovil.

j@utis wrote: »
    I smashed the screen on my 3year old Redmi 4 early today :( I'm very pissed off because it was still perfect and would have lasted another 2years.
    Now I'm looking at Redmi Note 8 vs Note 9. Is Note 9 worth extra money? I'm not crazy about the screen size but those two seemed to be rated the highest for value for money on Kimovil.

Compare their features side by side in Gsmarena.

Personally I chose the Redmi 9 over both. Bit cheaper too.

• Advertisement

I received the Oppo Reno 2 yesterday. It's still very early days, and I have to figure out how to properly use it but so far it is a lot more faster and clearer than the S8. Included in the box is a fitted screen protector (I'm almost certain) and a rear decent quality cover. Other manufacturers should take note !

Advertisement