Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Suckit wrote: »
    I think the other poster was returning to China.
    The paypal returns are handy for returning items that aren't faulty or within the EU.
    If the item is faulty and is still under warranty and was purchased within the EU, then they have to cover the shipping expenses etc. So you needn't have to use paypal.

It doesn't matter what they say. Honorbuy 'Warranty'

If they sold it with EU and you purchased it with EU then they must follow this:
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm
    That's brilliant thanks a million will start the RMA .thanks 4 all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The following phones are available on Honorbuy EU direct:
    Redmi S2 for 140usd
    Redmi 5 for 144usd
    Redmi Note 4x for 160usd
    Redmi 6 for 170usd
    Redmi 5+ for 180usd
    Redmi Note 5 170-240usd depending on Ram
    Redmi 6 Pro for 210usd
    Mi A2 Lite for 230usd

Their is no filter on their mobile site and the filter on Kilmovil doesn't display on my phone.

Which of the phones above would be best for the following:
    Strong Battery
    3-4gb ram
    Sd card
    Fast Charging(preferably)
    Good Screen
    Dual Sim
    Decent Camera
    Android One(preferably)
    USB 3(preferably)

Nice extras would be FM radio, Good speakers

I have read some reviews on Gsmarena but it's bewildering keeping up with new releases and the similar model names.

I'm aware there are other good phones from other retailers and brands but xiaomi and Honorbuy seem to be reliable going by people here. If anyone can recommend other retailers I'll check those out also.

Thanks for any help

Edit: I've gone through the specs on Honorbuy and have ruled out Redmi S2, Redmi 5 and Redmi 6 due to poor screen specs. However there is little between the remaining phones in the list below:

Redmi Note 4x for 160usd
    Redmi 5+ for 180usd
    Redmi Note 5 170-240usd depending on Ram
    Redmi 6 Pro for 210usd
    Mi A2 Lite for 230usd

The only obvious difference is the Mi A Lite is the only Android One option, however having read up on MIUI versus Android One there's pros and cons for both.

Choice is now between these. The 5+ and Note 5 are almost identical.

Redmi Note 4x for 160usd

Redmi 5+ for 180usd
    Redmi Note 5 170-240usd depending on 3-6gb Ram

Mi A2 Lite for 230usd

Is the Mi A2 lite worth the extra 50-70usd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MikeHammer70

Have a look at the top 10 bestsellers on kimovil

That will point you in the right direction

You'll find a few of the Xiaomis on the list

Have a look at the top 10 bestsellers on kimovil

That will point you in the right direction

You'll find a few of the Xiaomis on the list
    Just did, thanks for tip. Seen they have the Note 5 Global 3gb ram for 132euro. I think I'll go with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bear in mind Kimovil are a comparison site that link to vendors. Whichever site is selling it for 132 may charge delivery to Ireland but you may still get hit with customs. So factor that into your costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MikeHammer70

Just did, thanks for tip. Seen they have the Note 5 Global 3gb ram for 132euro. I think I'll go with that

I've bought a couple from Hong Kong Goldway if they're still doing customs free delivery

You can also get it delivered from the likes of honorbuy in the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has a similar issue to me

Have a Xiaomi Note 4

When doing a back up, I lose icons (Boards.ie) in paticular and / or items from folders from my home screen

Wondered if anyone else has come across this issue

I am using Nova launcher, but it defaults back to system launcher after back up

Thanks for looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

[Xiaomi][Others] Important Announcement About Flashing Mi Phones Manufactured by China!
    Here's something VERY important before you flash or update the ROM.

1. Xiaomi Phones manufactured for Chinese market are not able to run MIUI Global ROM.
    2. Xiaomi Phones manufactured for Global markets are not able to run MIUI China ROM.

We highly recommend you to buy Xiaomi Phones via official or authorized sales channels and double check the system infomation before flashing or updating.

Applies to new purchases and phones purchased from now on. Older devices probably still can be flashed. It is unclear.

It maybe that you just can't lock the bootloader again if you change version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

7.12 inch screen on the Honor 8X Max!

And they still had to put a notch on it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Royaler2014

Hi There,

Dropped my Samsung Galaxy J5 '17 and the screen repair is nearly the cost of the phone.

On Three and looking for some recommendations for a similar phone, that i can purchase from European vendor to avoid customs and a half decent camera.

Ideally looking to spend 150-200 for something basic but would pay up to 300 for something higher specced.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

looking for some recommendations for a similar phone, that i can purchase from European vendor to avoid customs and a half decent camera.

Ideally looking to spend 150-200 for something basic but would pay up to 300 for something higher specced.

To name a few, but there are others that regularly go on sale.

https://www.amazon.es/Moto-G5s-Smartphone-Pantalla-Snapdragon/dp/B074T26HGV/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XJBB6HS/
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07CZS8W5Y/
    https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-A2-Lite-Smartphone-importada/dp/B07FMQ12PJ/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭dougm1970

ok. i am finally ready to order this next week...xiaomi mi max 3....but confused with all the previous fake global versions....could some friendly person link me to a genuine proper global one please....i see one on honorbuy, but not sure how genuine it is...i like ordering from honorbuy via the eu warehouses, very fast delivery..

https://www.honorbuy.com/1509-xiaomi-mi-max-3-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

also, is there a 6gb/128gb global version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Best place to get the motog5s anyone? Seems to go up and down a lot in price

Amazon Spain and any price watching addon for your browser.
    It seems to be the main place that it drops in price. That and the G5S, G5 Plus.

€99 here - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B06XJ8YZGX

This was €129 a few days ago - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B06XSDM1NM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i got a mi max 3 this week, tuesday, so just a couple of days ago. got a clear gel case and tempered glass and another hard case. black phone.
    its even bigger than i expected. just massive. too big to be practical for me. cost just shy of 300 euro via honorbuy with dhl express. its the proper global version. 4gb / 64gb.
    silly a thing to do as it is, i'll try and sell it now.
    posting this in case anyone here might be interested in that phone and wants to make an offer. can hook up on facebook or whatever if more info needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

[XDA] PSA: Flashing MIUI Global on these Xiaomi devices may brick your device

In any case, here are the Xiaomi devices that are affected by this out-of-region restriction. We listed the marketing name for each device as well as their code-names.
    • Xiaomi Mi 6X (“wayne”)
    • Xiaomi Mi 8 (“dipper”)
    • Xiaomi Mi 8 EE (“ursa”)
    • Xiaomi Mi 8 SE (“sirius”)
    • Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite (“platina”)
    • Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro (“equuleus”)
    • Xiaomi Mi Max 3 (“nitrogen”)
    • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S (“polaris”)
    • Xiaomi Mi Pad 4/Mi Pad 4 Plus (“clover”)
    • Xiaomi Poco F1/Pocophone F1 (“beryllium”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A (“ugg”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite (“ugglite”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi Y2/Redmi S2 (“ysl”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi 5 (“rosy”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi 5A (“riva”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi 6 (“cereus”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi 6A (“cactus”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro (“sakura” and “sakura_india”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 5/Redmi 5 Plus (“vince”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro/Redmi Note 5 AI (“whyred”)
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro (“tulip”)

It applies to changing MIUI region version roms china to global or vice versa.
    On a locked bootloader, so if you change version don't lock it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Jaysus, Xiaomi are really being a pain in the hole all of a sudden with these flashing restrictions.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Jaysus, Xiaomi are really being a pain in the hole all of a sudden with these flashing restrictions.

They've been getting worse for a while, and when large bugs appear they take ages fixing /patching them.
    Meizu seem to have gone the other route.

If Weibo is to be believed, Xiaomi are dropping in popularity in China, like paid email accounts (maybe not quite that much :P).
    This list was in May (Xiaomi have been lower before that but got a short lived spike in popularity).

1 Vivo 维沃
    2 Oppo 歐珀
    3 Honor 荣耀
    4 Huawei 华为
    5 Xiaomi 小米
    6 Meizu 魅族
    7 OnePlus 一加
    8 LeNovo 联想
    9 Qiku 360 手机
    10 Smartisan 坚果

Since then, Xiaomi have dropped to 8th and Vivo and Oppo are battling it out for 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thargor wrote: »

€4.81 using Revolut.
    Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jhur

Looking at chinese smartphones at the moment. they seem incredible value......
    Does anyone have any experience of the Ulefone Armour X or the ASUS Zenfone Pegasus 4S
    Do they come unlocked??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jhur wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of the Ulefone Armour X or the ASUS Zenfone Pegasus 4S
    Do they come unlocked??

my son has a ulefone tiger which is a great budget phone.

the spec for the armour x look good for a cheap budget phone, but personally that processor is dated at this stage and id be looking for more than 2gb of ram these days.

whats your budget??

the armour 5 is a much better phone for about €60 more

sydthebeat wrote: »
    my son has a ulefone tiger which is a great budget phone.

the spec for the armour x look good for a cheap budget phone, but personally that processor is dated at this stage and id be looking for more than 2gb of ram these days.

whats your budget??

the armour 5 is a much better phone for about €60 more

I'd be wary of the software on the smaller chinese brands - usually you're looking at no updates and/or software issues.

safer going with the bigger companies like xiaomi (mi) and huawei (honor) in terms of getting a better software experience. or android one phones (stock android).

plus the mediatek MT6763 cpu in that armour 5 is underpowered - only 45,000 on antutu. likely to have lag in operation and won't be good in terms of running the phone over the next year / 2 years. as a comparison the snapdragon 625 which is the min specs you should be looking at today imo is 70,000 to 80,000 depending on what phone / OS combination is implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I had an OK experience with Ulefone. Solid units. Ok for the money they come in at but I had one that the screen just went unresponsive. At the time there was a small amount of developers working on ROMs but that dried up. I dont recall getting any software updates from Ulefone at all. As above, Id probably pick a Xiaomi if going budget.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

jhur wrote: »
    Do they come unlocked??

Make sure you check what bands the Asus works with, a friend got a Zenfone 4 and it did not operate on Irish networks. Not sure if all of the 4 models suffered this issue.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Make sure you check what bands the Asus works with, a friend got a Zenfone 4 and it did not operate on Irish networks. Not sure if all of the 4 models suffered this issue.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think Asus are like Sharp (and a few other brands) in the sense that they have roms that fully unlock global features.
    WW are WorldWide and CN are Chinese.

Once the WW rom is flashed to the device, 4G etc. should be unlocked. (Some Chinese versions will have band20 already unlocked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Suckit wrote: »
    I'm not 100% on this, but I think Asus are like Sharp (and a few other brands) in the sense that they have roms that fully unlock global features.
    WW are WorldWide and CN are Chinese.

Once the WW rom is flashed to the device, 4G etc. should be unlocked. (Some Chinese versions will have band20 already unlocked).
    I'll say it to him, I ordered the 5 recently enough but was certain to check after his story.

• Advertisement

Honor 8X (4GB/64GB) + Flip PU Case - Blue or Black version available from Germany delivered to PM/PW/AP for €255.50 + €3.50 = €259 delivered to Ireland
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07HHH315K
    (€265.50 delivered directly to Ireland)

Takes 7 - 10 days to arrive.
    Great price/better price when you also take into account amazon warranty and EU delivery etc. (and the flip case).

Advertisement