Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for KLM not refunding lost luggage?

Options
  • 17-07-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone offer me some advice on what options are available to me if an airline refuses to refund a baby's stroller.

5th April
    I was flying from Vietnam - Dublin. As I had a 5 hour layover in China & I had a 3 month child, I wanted to take the stroller/buggy with me on the plane. It passed security and as I entered the aircraft, an air hostess took the buggy off me and gave me a receipt. We flew from Vietnam - China - Amsterdam - Dublin.

Landed in Dublin, no buggy. Went straight to the lost luggage who gave me another receipt of my claim. Got told, "It will be sent to your home within a few days". A week passed, called KLM who told me "the stroller is in China, we know where it is. We will get back to you". Another week passed - they kept giving me excuses so I messaged their twitter page. April 24th

They told me that they were on the case, again someone would get in touch but no one ever called so I kept messaging them on twitter. Then I get an email in June telling me that I wouldn't be getting a refund as I never applied with their 21 days. This was the first time, this was ever mentioned to me and I emailed them with all my receipts, call logs and twitter conversations. They told me that I didn't contact them until mid may. Again, they still haven't contacted me. 3 weeks ago.

Who can I contact or where is my recourse?
    Appreciate any advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I'd contact them via FB or Twitter - big companies are usually more responsive on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

You need to check on their website for their terms, but my understanding is the important thing here is the receipt you received at the lost luggage counter - forget everything else.

That is you registering the loss of your luggage and that is what you need them to be clear that you *have* logged with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

kathleen37 wrote: »
    You need to check on their website for their terms, but my understanding is the important thing here is the receipt you received at the lost luggage counter - forget everything else.

That is you registering the loss of your luggage and that is what you need them to be clear that you *have* logged with them.

Second this.
    Plus after 21 days luggage is no longer considered delayed and is defined as lost making you eligible for the cost of replacement (capped at about €1200)

As long as you have the PIR form from the airport dated the day of the flight then a quick EU small claims application will see you sorted pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Thanks all for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If all else fails send this guy, Dave Carroll ( https://www.fastcompany.com/1320152/broken-guitar-has-united-playing-blues-tune-180-million ) an email with the KLM's Customer Experience manager Boet Kreiken KLM marketing department and management https://www.klm.com/corporate/en/about-klm/management/index.html in the cc and ask if he would write you an appropriate song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

The only way with KLM is to shame them on Social Media.

Facebook/Twitter/Instagram

That usually gets things done quickly.

Advertisement